Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

It's not T-90A. That's a fact. Can You see that it does not have T-90A turret? 

It is T-84AB1. It's the same thing as on this photo from Serbian expo (with few small details being different on the particular display tank).

M-84AB1.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan said:

T-90 A

No, that's right, this is a deep modernization of the Yugoslav M-84 in Serbia with the assistance of Russia.

It is easy to distinguish it from the T-90A in the lower glacis part
x9foh-1hwT4.jpg
The 90A have lgp like this:
tDsJPScA9o0.jpg
On the T-90A there are mounts for engineering mechanisms, but on the M-84 they are not.

1 hour ago, Karamazov said:

By the way, is there a difference between M-84AB1 and AS? or the difference is only in the name?
I remember that the "AS" has a panoramic sight over the main sight. But "AB1" - not

I don't know. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer that. 

• 2 weeks later...

3D visualisation of the new TITUS variants for Czech army can be seen in this article: https://www.armadninoviny.cz/titus-novinka-pro-ceskou-armadu-ziskava-konkretni-podobu.html

62 pieces will be delivered by Eldis - chassis, final assembly and except first few pieces also the cabins will come from Tatra Defence, electronics from Retia and the first few cabins will come from Nexter. 

TITUS KOVS (command post)

titus_6b.jpg

titus_3b.jpg

TITUS MKPP (artillery support coordination center) 

titus_4b.jpg

General schematics of the drivetrain

titus_2b.jpg

Maybe the 250 figure was wrong. I had seen it on twitter, but I cannot find the tweet that included it anymore.

But the Norwegian military plans to have four tank batallions/mechanized maneuver brigades:

"Dette innebærer at Brigade Nord videreutvikles med fire mekaniserte manøverbataljoner med høy oppsettingsgrad og tilhørende taktiske og logistiske støtteavdelinger. Manøverbataljonene i Brigade Nord tilføres nye stridsvogner for å gi brigaden nødvendig slagkraft." -  Proposisjon til Stortinget (forslag til stortingsvedtak) Vilje til beredskap – evne til forsvar Langtidsplan for forsvarssektoren

Perhaps I can shed some light on this...

That 250 figure might have been correct if the government had opted for alternative A of the Chief of Defence's advice on the future structure of the armed forces, but to no one’s real surprise, they ended up choosing the least ambitious alternative instead, which means that there will likely be a total of 4 mechanized battalions and 1 partially mechanized cavalry battalion in the future Norwegian Army.

Now, currently, a Norwegian mechanized battalion only has a single tank squadron of about 14-18 tanks, but even if they decide to bring back the second squadron in these units to match the number of mechanized infantry squadrons (generally agreed upon to be the optimal ratio), that’s still a lot less tanks than the 250 figure.

Finally, the Inpector General for the Army, Eirik Krisoffersen, actually stated that he had been promised 84 tanks in an interview last year, but it's uncertain if he was aware that the army would receive a fourth mechanized battalion at that point.

Also, for those who are interested there has been some debate on what will be the best tank for Norway in the last issue of Offisersbladet. It starts on page 52, where Christoffer Westermoen, who was assigned to the earlier Leopard 2 upgrade project, takes the Leopard 2A7V in defence after the editor of Offisersbladed wrote an article that seemed to favour the K2 as the more modern and interesting alternative. Then on page 54, Mogens Rasmus Mogenssen, the representative of various South Korean defence companies in Scandinavia, argues against some of the points Westermoen made, while also directing some criticism towards the Norwegian Army for apparently being too focused on the German alternative. There is also a contribution by Major general (retired) Terje Antonsen and Lieutenant Colonel (retired) Lars J Sølvberg on page 58.

Well they bought Leguan, Wisent 2 ARV and Wisent 2 AEV. It seems a bit stupid to complain about "being too focused on the German alternative" If all support vehicles are based on Leopard 2. 

One main point I see why 2A7V could not be an option is weight. Driving in heavy snow with ~70t could be tricky (not mentioning transport on roads).

Besides that I do pretty much agree Mogens Mogenssens article.

Norway has clearly stated to go for 2% NATO goal which means there will be more money available (currently 1,7%).

The Leo 2A4NOR is much too old to cancel that program.

I don't think that EMBT is an option since this is has no launching customer yet (and smaller NATO countries always try to avoid that risk) which is true for CV90 with 105mm as well. It will be K2 or Leo2 for sure.