Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Years ago, my girlfriend and I were at Ft. Knox for their annual Memorial Day open house (she's very patient with me). We stuck around until the end of the event, as I had learned in the past that the vehicles would be driven back to the motor pool at that point. The crew of the Abrams that was on display fire it up, and I start recording video since this was the first time I had seen an Abrams moving around in person. They drive the tank from the grass onto the one-lane road bisecting the display area, then pivot the tank so it's pointed down the path. My poor girlfriend, only having previously been exposed to cars and not knowing tanks were capable of this, unleashes a surprised "Holy fuck!"

Footage ruined. :(

To me, that would have made it all that much better. :)

Shocking, I know, but watch the video and ponder the degree to which it is awful.

I tried, but kept getting distracted by the giant metal dildo...

Being serious for a minute, it blows my mind that they laid everything out so terribly and then somehow shoved two 25-pounders/a 17-pounder into the same design later. Lord knows where the crew fit in amongst all that mess.

Holy Haluleka, it's as if the sneaky persians are trying snag the modern medium competition from under our noses!

The turret seems to be a T-55A's, so I'm not sure its quite as small as it looks. However that is the Iranian way to make things look like you know what you're doing, but not really. 

Cf7H5W8WQAElvsO.jpg

Iran's new tank, the Tiam. 

Cf6-a8kW8AAzFGq.jpg

Cf7BPWFWcAAsZMY.jpg

Cf7BdG2XEAIbEiq.jpg

Okay, using the size of the DShK on the turret in the second picture (1.6m), we can estimate the hull width and turret length as 3.4m. If we take that to the first picture, we can estimate that the hull is about 7.5m long.

T-55 is 3.4m wide and 6.5m long, so this fits pretty well size-wise. God know what is up with that hull though, as that is certainly not from a T-55. Maybe an M60 (hull is around 7m long)?

So yeah, pretty much on par for weird Iranian tank design and a bit big for our competition. Hooray!

Edit: M60 is 3.6m wide, so that fits as well.

@UP

To be honest - it's Turms-T FCS from italian "Galileo". And it have hunter-killer plus capabilities. Tk panormaic sight have independent thermal camera (Attila) and it's own laser rangefinder, Whole Turms-T on T-72M4Cz have 22 news block. But Czech made one mistake - they left old  gun 2A46 and...old stabilisation 2E28M whit only slighty modernisation. So propability to hit target by first shot is only about 65 to 75%...

ps. hello :-)