Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Here's a study in the Journal of Evolutionary Economics which looks at the progression in early tank design. Good look at how tank designers looked at the trade offs between increased mobility vs firepower & armor.

There's a couple issues with it, notably the overvaluing of the late war German tanks which would skew their results. However the authors do admit that they left out a good deal of variables that are important to tank combat. 

Here's a study in the Journal of Evolutionary Economics which looks at the progression in early tank design. Good look at how tank designers looked at the trade offs between increased mobility vs firepower & armor.

There's a couple issues with it, notably the overvaluing of the late war German tanks which would skew their results. However the authors do admit that they left out a good deal of variables that are important to tank combat. 

I didn't understand a damn thing in that article. Although, I did notice that the authors seemed to think the Matilda had a 76mm gun and the BT series tanks had a 47 mm gun.  

I didn't understand a damn thing in that article. Although, I did notice that the authors seemed to think the Matilda had a 76mm gun and the BT series tanks had a 47 mm gun.

I forgot to mention that about the Matilda, I didn't notice the BT error(although the BT tanks did seem to be strange outliers in the analysis the authors conducted).

Overall I'd sum the paper up as "early tank development focused on mobility and then shifted towards firepower and armor as time went along." Although it did ignore a lot of variables and seems to have factual errors, what a sad state peer review is actually in.

I forgot to mention that about the Matilda, I didn't notice the BT error(although the BT tanks did seem to be strange outliers in the analysis the authors conducted).

Overall I'd sum the paper up as "early tank development focused on mobility and then shifted towards firepower and armor as time went along." Although it did ignore a lot of variables and seems to have factual errors, what a sad state peer review is actually in.

I got a similar impression. Specifically, the history was awful and the analysis was missing the all-important metrics of strategic mobility and mass producibility.

It does show a general trend in tank development, but one that needed no special analysis to see. 

What I'd really like to see for this sort of thing is a cladographic analysis of tank development in order to find underlying trends and branch points which represented significant shifts in the development of tank 'families'.

440px-AMX30ACRA.jpg

AMX-30 with the experimental 142mm ACRA gun/launcher.  This was something like the 152mm gun/launcher on the M551 Sheridan and M60A2.

I've read in some places that the ACRA was a better weapon than the US 152mm weapon.  Insomuch as the French never mass-produced the stupid thing, I believe this.

By the way, I think the place where the AMX-30 w/ ACRA prototype is sitting looks suspiciously similar to the lot that the last remaining batchat prototype is rotting in.

440px-AMX30ACRA.jpg

AMX-30 with the experimental 142mm ACRA gun/launcher.  This was something like the 152mm gun/launcher on the M551 Sheridan and M60A2.

I've read in some places that the ACRA was a better weapon than the US 152mm weapon.  Insomuch as the French never mass-produced the stupid thing, I believe this.

By the way, I think the place where the AMX-30 w/ ACRA prototype is sitting looks suspiciously similar to the lot that the last remaining batchat prototype is rotting in.

Pretty sure that is at the Saumur tank museum in France.