Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

When BAE showed off its old M8 prototypes last year to spark discussion about Mobile Protected Firepower, it made everyone think it was coming back. Now that we know a little more about MPF it appears what is actually being brought back to life is 50mm Supershot.

Some videos from the Soldier Innovation Workshop where MPF was discussed.

What these guys describe sounds a lot like a CVR(T) Mark 2 to me.

0aiQhTf.jpg

When BAE showed off its old M8 prototypes last year to spark discussion about Mobile Protected Firepower, it made everyone think it was coming back. Now that we know a little more about MPF it appears what is actually being brought back to life is 50mm Supershot.

0aiQhTf.jpg

The 82nd Airborne has been hurting for a light scout vehicle for a while now. It's interesting that hardly anyone bitches about this, seeing as how it's a very real capability gap that they have.

0aiQhTf.jpg

Someone should link them our light tank competition. :P

Why bring back the 50mm when the 40mm on light platforms is already borderline overkill? 

I've actually posted on the 50mm Supershot before here, and it's actually a really interesting round as, despite It's bore size, It has the same length and overall case width as 35x228mm NATO (guns for them only need a barrel change to use 50x330mm). Which is a much more capable round then 25x137mm and 30x173mm currently in use in most US applications, yet this makes them actually much shorter and about the same width as Bofors 40mm L/70 rounds or even the older 40mm L/60 "Short" rounds, giving them an ammo capacity advantage over said rounds.

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/652-general-afv-thread/page-4?hl=supershot#entry20440

It also helps that the Army is familiar with it, in my post right below that is a US Army PDF regarding it's testing on the Bradley back in 2014 (and a bit on air bursting 30mm) and the Navy is familiar with it in a sense (They have ships using the similar 40mm Supershot that's based on the 30x173mm round.)

The other good parts is that it has insane penetration for it's size, 230mm-250mm RHA at 1km with APFSDS-T. Well above that of even the 40mm L/70's best and the 40mm CTA, this is enough to penetrate any IFV in service and serveral other armored vehicles immune to 25mm-40mm APFSDS-T rounds, and, while it is true it uses the same HE round size as the 35mm round it's based on, 35x228mm had a rather long projectile length for It's size (which people often forget to consider when calculating how much filler, shrapnel lining or incendiary material a projectile can have.) and is still a higher caliber then what's being used currently so in terms of HE performance it would still be a large upgrade over current US autocannons, and a massive one in terms of AP performance.

Picture of actual APFSDS-T I posted elsewhere as opposed to CGI, note it only appears longer because said owner of the case pulled out the projectile from it's seating for reasons unknown to me, maybe to dump out the powder.

In summary, there's actually a very good reason to look at the 50mm Supershot as a potential upgrade for future US light armored vehicles and IFV guns, It's a very well balanced solution in all around performance while keeping a reasonable ammunition capacity in any vehicles using it, and Bushmaster, who already has their lighter 25mm and 30mm cannons in use in various branches of the US Military, already has a conversion barrel kit for it for their Bushmaster III cannon (and the Bushmaster series of guns all have a pretty high amount of parts commonality, which is a perk) that would make the switch much easier.

T-90MS/T-72 are real vehicles, unlike PL-01.

So you believe Iran successfully made a T-90MS copy that is of the same quality as the Russian actual T-90MS?

I believe the Karrar to the T-72 is the same as the PL-01 is to the CV90120. An existing vehicle with some wooden mockup armor and features to make it look futuristic and advanced, when it really isn't.

Karrar fake, T-72 real.

PL-01 fake, CV90120 real. 

Simplest way I can say it.

So you believe Iran successfully made a T-90MS copy that is of the same quality as the Russian actual T-90MS?

I believe the Karrar to the T-72 is the same as the PL-01 is to the CV90120. An existing vehicle with some wooden mockup armor and features to make it look futuristic and advanced, when it really isn't.

Karrar fake, T-72 real.

PL-01 fake, CV90120 real. 

Simplest way I can say it.

Who said "copy"? It was expected (AFAIK Yuri Lyamin suggested it) that Iran at some point after Russian operation started in Syria and diplomatic ties inscrease will "suddenly" develope a new "Iranian" tank.

Speaking straight: Russia sold/gave T-90MS for evaluation and will help to Iran to modernize it's T-72 production line to build T-90MS or version of it to make money while dodging UN sanctions. Until better pictures appear that show something important that i can't see now, i have serious reason to think that vehicle, shown in videos is some sort of T-90MS-like tank, or at least an upgrade to existing Iranian T-72S to T-90A/AM level.

Fucking great.  Now there will be another goddamned T-72 variant, as if there wasn't a bewildering enough variety of those already.

Oh, and crazy Shiites will have better tanks.  I guess that's sorta bad too.

I really do need to make that T-72 part of Communist tracked boxes with pancake turrets thread  :lol: