Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OK, I have to ask, but I've been trying to summon up the courage.....Is there any reason all these new eight wheel APCs are so bloody big?

Mine protected hulls, and improved safety standards is my guess. Bench seats don't cut it anymore.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OK, I have to ask, but I've been trying to summon up the courage.....Is there any reason all these new eight wheel APCs are so bloody big?

Adding to what Belesarius said, making comfortable room for 8-9 guys in the 95th percentile.

Norway might be looking to upgrade or replace its Leopard 2A4s by 2025.

6.5.1 Nye stridsvogner
Regjeringen vil anskaffe en ny, moderne stridsvognkapasitet. En satsing på, og utvikling av, stridsvogner hos potensielle motstandere, tilsier at Forsvaret må ha evne til å bekjempe moderne stridsvogner. Den fagmilitære vurderingen er at en moderne stridsvognkapasitet er mest hensiktsmessig for å bekjempe fiendtlige stridsvogner, og er derfor et viktig element i den mekaniserte strukturen. Trusselen fra moderne våpen- og ammunisjonstyper har endret seg. Det innebærer at det vedtatte prosjektet for oppgradering ikke vil gi stridsvogner med en tilstrekkelig operativ evne og derfor stanses det godkjente stridsvognprosjektet.
Regjeringen vil anskaffe moderne stridsvogner med ytelser som møter disse truslene og som er i bedre stand til å bekjempe moderne stridsvogner. Enkelte av de mulige løsningene er i dag ikke teknologisk modne, men den teknologiske utviklingen på området går svært raskt. For å sikre en best mulig løsning, der det er tatt høyde for den pågående utviklingen, gjennomføres et ordinært anskaffelsesløp hvor flere alternativer inngår. Oppstarten av et prosjekt for anskaffelse av ny stridsvognkapasitet vil innebære en noe senere innfasing, og at en ny kapasitet trolig ikke vil være på plass før tidligst 2025. Konsekvenser ved denne utsettelsen vil bli søkt redusert gjennom ulike tiltak for videreføring av stridsvognkapasiteten og kompetansen frem til nye stridsvogner er på plass.

9 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

They say their current upgrade program for the Leopard 2A4 is insufficient. 

So now the modular solutions for the 2A4 are out, and the Leopard 2A7 is too heavy (according to @SH_MM). But I can't see them acquiring a new tank. And to keep an old and soon outdated fleet of Leopard 2A4 until at least 2025 is too much of a risk. And I thought they were the reasonable ones when they decided to dump the Javelin and go for an anti-APS oriented solution. 

October 18, 2017 in the Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan on the Day of State Independence of Azerbaijan - in connection with the 25th anniversary of the creation of the first national military unit, a military parade was held.

https://dambiev.livejournal.com/993845.html

All sorts of AFVs.

OH_PxRaXsrk.jpg

2Y5os4uGw_Q.jpg

Ob3RXQAKB28.jpg

5 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

They say their current upgrade program for the Leopard 2A4 is insufficient. 

So now the modular solutions for the 2A4 are out, and the Leopard 2A7 is too heavy (according to @SH_MM). But I can't see them acquiring a new tank. And to keep an old and soon outdated fleet of Leopard 2A4 until at least 2025 is too much of a risk. And I thought they were the reasonable ones when they decided to dump the Javelin and go for an anti-APS oriented solution. 

Used up all our money on the F35s. And yes, in short it says that the modernization is insufficient in combating the Armata series (The Armata series is not mentioned, but EVERY Norwegian knows what they mean when they say potential enemies.)  

They are not saying that we will use the old Leos until 2025 though:
"Konsekvenser ved denne utsettelsen vil bli søkt redusert gjennom ulike tiltak for videreføring av stridsvognkapasiteten og kompetansen frem til nye stridsvogner er på plass."

"The consequences of this delay will be reduced by searching through different alternatives for continuation of tank capacity and competence until new tanks are acquired".

Not a perfect translation because the wording was quite strange, but it gets through the point.