Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Call to Arms: or, Men of War AS2: Now with more Jihad and Technicals.

Khand-e

So yeah, the Alpha for this just came out on steam, here's my impressions so far.

*If you think it's just men of war in a modern day setting with better graphics, physics, and audio ......You'd basically be correct because that's exactly what it is, it even uses the same UI from Assault Sqaud 2, though I heard this might change. However, considering I really, really like men of war and this isn't a full priced game, I don't have too many issues with this.

*"For the motherland!" -US Rangers .....what? (Yep, Digitalmindsoft's choice of voice acting and quotes never fail to amuse, though the voice acting that's in so far is better then I expected.)

*Technicals are so fucking cool

*The combat for some reason just feel so much more thrilling then in men of war, maybe It's the modern day armament that all feels so right and there's new options such as shit like flashbangs and whatnot added, I don't know, I'll do more thoughts on this later when I play more.

*One thing to note, when I said it's in Alpha, I mean it's in very early Alpha, don't expect a finished product yet if you decide to give it a try, but at 20 bucks for the standard edition and 30 for premium, I really look forward to seeing where DMS will take this, hopefully wonderful places like previous men of war games.

*Did I mention TECHNICALS?

Discuss.

Call to arms is just MoW with different models.

ss_67a2d9abcb55b8f6a25dc441320ce7d5524ce

ss_a521dccaa0749ba62a5ce1040c9c5a297c390

ss_91a90579eea40131b6bf1a5e18680032752ab

ss_d0b9c0e499c8c3b66fda48b41a68a2861caf8

MoW controls were always clunky for me. Although it is deep game, because of many features in it. In fact, WoT for me was like 3rd person version of tank-only maps in early MoW.  :D

It also has better Graphics overall in alot of areas like terrain, building and unit models. I can do comparison screenshots/maybe video of both side by side when I'm not lazy later with both on maxed out settings, which would also demonstrate the improved physics and audio.

Also, it seems like the terrain/building destruction is better, though that I could be imagining.

Then you'll love it.

Like I said, It's an alpha, don't expect loads of content ingame yet, but multi is fun, there's only a couple single player missions so far. at worst, you spent all of 20-30 dollars (depending on edition, which can be upgraded later anyway) on a series you know is amazing and will just get better on actual release while you do other things.

Take that for what you will.

For reference since a few people have asked.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/302670/

That's the store page link, there's not a whole fuckload of single player content yet, but maybe if we get enough we can do some in house multi.

....Or you can do multiplayer with retarded pubbies if you hate us (and yourself), Idk.

From what ive read from interviews, its shapping up to be once gaint cock sucking of the "undeadle M1a2" crowd

'Did you have ERA"

"well it would favor one side 2 much (Russia)"

"are you modeling ATGMs?"

"well it would favor one side too much (Russia)"

So what that in red strom mod T-90s had effective ERA?

Thats what ERA does, this isnt fucking desert storm. your shooting at some of the best MBT's money can buy

Tied, I know nothing about this game.

But I know that getting Americans to accept that real Russian-made T-72s with all the upgrade packages aren't mincemeat for Abramses is a task beyond even the greatest of Greek heroes.

Desert Storm made far too great of an impression on us; so much the worse for us, as the Asad Babil tanks were worth about as much as the wooden crates they shipped in.

From what ive read from interviews, its shapping up to be once gaint cock sucking of the "undeadle M1a2" crowd

'Did you have ERA"

"well it would favor one side 2 much (Russia)"

"are you modeling ATGMs?"

"well it would favor one side too much (Russia)"

So what that in red strom mod T-90s had effective ERA?

Thats what ERA does, this isnt fucking desert storm. your shooting at some of the best MBT's money can buy

Tied, I know nothing about this game.

But I know that getting Americans to accept that real Russian-made T-72s with all the upgrade packages aren't mincemeat for Abramses is a task beyond even the greatest of Greek heroes.

Desert Storm made far too great of an impression on us; so much the worse for us, as the Asad Babil tanks were worth about as much as the wooden crates they shipped in.

Which would be accurate in this case, seeing as how as pointed out in the first post, It's not "The US Armed forces vs  Russians", but various insurgent groups from the Middle East and Africa who likely aren't using top of the line Russian gear but alot of export models and versions instead. if this changes and they eventually do get literally Russian standard tier gear of the modern day, I'll point it out.

Hell, their small arms and infantry support weapons indicate dated cold war era gear (some from the west even that are known to be in use by poorer nations worldwide still, like the FN FAL and M40 106mm) aswell as things Russia no longer uses in standard issue, let alone in a near future setting, including, but not limited to.

the AKM/RPK

the Makarov PM

the AK-74S (aka, not the M variant, though the Krinkov is ingame for certain GRU infantry and oddly enough the RPK-74M is used by some higher tier support infantry.)

And some others I can't think of right now because I'm medicated and really tired right now.

TLDR: This isn't a game that treats top of the line Russian gear like a Desert Storm scenario, this....basically is a desert storm Scenario, though somehow I really doubt we'll end up with simply 2 factions in the end going by what we've been hinted with so far.

Khand, the problem is that one side at least have T-80U, which is not what you find lying around in Africa and T-80BV. Those tanks have ERA and GL-ATGMs, and they have in-game models as well (although they are WIP as i understand).

It's also in the middle east aswell though (infact, It mainly is) and, memory serve me, didn't some middle eastern nations buy the T-80U like Pakistan, Egypt and Yemen (the latter most of which would be quite relevant here given their current civil war)?

If so, did they receive actually good Russian ERA and GL-ATGM ability or shit tier export ERA and no missiles?

Also, at worst, maybe they can take them out and replace them with some export T-72s or something and include a full on Russian faction instead using tanks with functional modern ERA after a bit of convincing, (I'd actually like to see a Russian faction added, aswell as a PLA one and possibly a few others. men of war managed 5 factions even taking into account Japans....lacking equipment of WW2, I'm sure they can manage to pull it off here.)

It's also in the middle east aswell though (infact, It mainly is) and, memory serve me, didn't some middle eastern nations buy the T-80U like Pakistan, Egypt and Yemen (the latter most of which would be quite relevant here given their current civil war)?

If so, did they receive actually good Russian ERA and GL-ATGM ability or shit tier export ERA and no missiles?

Also, at worst, maybe they can take them out and replace them with some export T-72s or something and include a full on Russian faction instead using tanks with functional modern ERA after a bit of convincing, (I'd actually like to see a Russian faction added, aswell as a PLA one and possibly a few others. men of war managed 5 factions even taking into account Japans....lacking equipment of WW2, I'm sure they can manage to pull it off here.)

ERA and ATGMs are not modelled yet.

However, ATGMs will be surely introduced at some point because the Bradley has 7 TOWs in its inventory. ERA is on a lot of unit models so they might be implemented at some point.

The guns are placeholders too. All main guns currently have KwK 43s as their weapon, with AP/HE/APCR loadouts.

Yeah, basically all of the models were originally built on the AS2 model for the King Tiger after it was imported from the game, even the speed and armor values are the same, but because the engine is slightly updated they...kind of fuck up if you try to use them with mods.

One thing about ERA is I imagine it would be a bitch to accurately model.