Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Cecil the Lion Fiasco

ShamefurDispray

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/sometimes-its-just-easier-to-care-about-dead-lions-than-dead-people/

This article sums up a lot of my thoughts about this whole fiasco.

Personally, I feel downright appalled at the reactions to what the dentist did. Yes, he was in the wrong for poaching whether wittingly or not but the reactions are ridiculous.

People are placing the value of the lives of animals much greater than those of other human beings. People are calling for him to be lynched and trying to ruin his life and make him go into poverty at the same time, they talk about how morally good they think they are. Meanwhile local Zimbabweans don't even feel anything about the issue of a lion being poached, especially with hundreds dying from lion attacks every year.

There are no mentions of the local Zimbabweans who are dying of starvation, live in destitute poverty with a corrupt government but a lion gets killed and everyone is up in arms.

/rant

tl;dr I am disgusted at people for being massive hypocrites and that many place the value of the life of animals much greater than those of fellow human beings

I personally liked this article. Criticizes the complete lack of nuance on both sides of the fiasco. Obviously the dentist is in the wrong, but holy shit the reaction is off the rails. 

I'd like to find the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on PETA, but sadly I can't find it on the Youtube. 

I don't think you're seeing much outrage over the planned parenthood clowns doing something vile, they are and have been a vile organization so it's just no surprise.   Also, you can't trust pro life propaganda, they are perfectly willing to lie and distort to further their cause. 

I personally liked this article. Criticizes the complete lack of nuance on both sides of the fiasco. Obviously the dentist is in the wrong, but holy shit the reaction is off the rails. 

I'd like to find the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on PETA, but sadly I can't find it on the Youtube. 

I like this one better, and I really think it's getting attention cause the dentist is such an asshole, aspects of it really push a lot of different peoples buttons. 

Trophy hunters are assholes.

If he had been shot for poaching by a game warden. (If the hunt was illegal), then I'd be like, Meh, rich asshole got what he deserved.

If some rich asshole pays for a licensed hunt that is culling an older male from a pride for game management reasons, welp, I'm not qualified to make those decisions, and I still think they are assholes for trophy hunting, but meh.

Trophy hunters are assholes.

If he had been shot for poaching by a game warden. (If the hunt was illegal), then I'd be like, Meh, rich asshole got what he deserved.

If some rich asshole pays for a licensed hunt that is culling an older male from a pride for game management reasons, welp, I'm not qualified to make those decisions, and I still think they are assholes for trophy hunting, but meh.

Modern ones for sure, I'm not sure I'm going to kick the 80 or 90 year old guy I know who has a house full of trophies though. Plus his daugher and mexican helper girl are hot. The old bastard has a will to live, he's shuffles around his front lawn every day with the help of the girl and a walker with wheels. 

It's free for amazon prime members, so just stop being a peasant 

I have nothing against trophy hunting if the money they spend goes towards conservation. If they are a net gain, then all is well. I really wouldn't care if this lion was killed if that was the case. It doesn't seem like that is the case here. 

Sure if, it's all legal, even modern trophy hunters should be free to do their thing, I just think they are assholes. If you like killing shit and eating it, that's cool though. 

It's free for amazon prime members, so just stop being a peasant 

Proletariat 4 lyfe

Sure if, it's all legal, even modern trophy hunters should be free to do their thing, I just think they are assholes. If you like killing shit and eating it, that's cool though. 

I refrain from calling them assholes till I interact with them. 

Personally, the (over)reactions made me much more upset. People blindly rally behind something they don't know all the facts about and completely overreacting and doing ridiculous things like making death threats and trying to completely ruin his life. What's even worse is that politicians and celebrities are adding fuel to the fire and blowing it up further to appear "morally right" and get more "likes". If it was a person or any other lion, people will likely not even bat an eye. And then a year later, people probably won't even remember Cecil the lion and move on to overreact about something else.

What's disturbing about all this is how similar this is to the fascist movements in the 1920s and 30s that you read about, mass movements of people blindly rallying behind causes they don't really understand and then doing terrible things that they think are supposed to be "morally righteous".

The entire thing makes me feel really uncomfortable.

I haven't kept up on ELF/ALF actions as much as I should. Ecoterrorism might spike in the coming years, and that is worse than any animal death(which is bad, we get it). 

Just rewatched Bullshit on PETA, and I love the last lines by P&T on how they'd murder every last chimp in order to save a single human life. If you disagree, then you are pretty fucked up.

I haven't kept up on ELF/ALF actions as much as I should. Ecoterrorism might spike in the coming years, and that is worse than any animal death(which is bad, we get it). 

Just rewatched Bullshit on PETA, and I love the last lines by P&T on how they'd murder every last chimp in order to save a single human life. If you disagree, then you are pretty fucked up.

There is a surprising amount of people who value animal life much greater than human life and would happily sacrifice the person (as long as they don't know them personally) or several people to save the life of one animal. Because "the animal hasn't caused any harm" or some answer like that. It's pretty fucked up really.

Personally, the (over)reactions made me much more upset. People blindly rally behind something they don't know all the facts about and completely overreacting and doing ridiculous things like making death threats and trying to completely ruin his life. What's even worse is that politicians and celebrities are adding fuel to the fire and blowing it up further to appear "morally right" and get more "likes". If it was a person or any other lion, people will likely not even bat an eye. And then a year later, people probably won't even remember Cecil the lion and move on to overreact about something else.

What's disturbing about all this is how similar this is to the fascist movements in the 1920s and 30s that you read about, mass movements of people blindly rallying behind causes they don't really understand and then doing terrible things that they think are supposed to be "morally righteous".

The entire thing makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Overreacting to stupid shit is pretty much the entire reason the internet exists.  It's just a way for people to vent.  I don't think yahoo news article comments are a precursor to the return of fascism.  

If you want your precursors to the return of fascism, you could just check out the seedier corners of Reddit or /pol/, because they are literally fascists.

I don't think you're seeing much outrage over the planned parenthood clowns doing something vile, they are and have been a vile organization so it's just no surprise.   Also, you can't trust pro life propaganda, they are perfectly willing to lie and distort to further their cause. 

One of my coworkers is very angry about something not actually related to any facts regarding that, and most every right wing political cartoonist has been making disingenuous cartoons on the topic. So there is some outrage, it's just concentrated among the people who already felt that way.

It's not exactly fascism per say, but mass movements in general. Fascism was just the most extreme example of a mass movement. Today's mass movements are ridiculous, have ridiculous aims, ridiculous reasons for the mass movements themselves and a ridiculous number of people who follow the ridiculousness.

I dunno, not particularly interested in reducing a species to extinction to save one human life. That kind of hyperbolic argument doesn't actually make for sound discussion on conservation, as you'll quickly push people who want to make more nuanced arguments to "well, fuck humans I suppose".