Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

Did some quick poking around.  Apparently the US was going to have Grumman upgrade the radar and FCS on J-8IIs for the Chinese in exchange for loadsamoney.  The project name for this was "Peace Pearl."  Events at Tiananmen Square led to the end any progress on the matter.  I imagine the aircraft seen above is one of the few planes that made it to the US for this upgrade.  Not sure how it ended up in Topeka though.

Link used on Wikipedia

Topeka Museum Webpage on F-8II

Did some quick poking around.  Apparently the US was going to have Grumman upgrade the radar and FCS on J-8IIs for the Chinese in exchange for loadsamoney.  The project name for this was "Peace Pearl."  Events at Tiananmen Square led to the end any progress on the matter.  I imagine the aircraft seen above is one of the few planes that made it to the US for this upgrade.  Not sure how it ended up in Topeka though.

Link used on Wikipedia

Topeka Museum Webpage on F-8II

Nice sleuthing.

Same time frame as a bunch of tank technology got transferred to China too; that's how they ended up with US/Brit fire control technology and L7 clones.

From that same museum, a prototype of the J31 jet:

lkQ7s5w.jpg

I was unable to tell whether this was a GE built prototype or a British-built Whittle prototype.  Either way, this is a really old, really rare jet engine prototype.