Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Aerospace Pictures and Art Thread

LostCosmonaut

2289636.jpg

Some advanced flanker variant.  I don't know; the Sukhoi designations are a complete mess.  Is it an SU-27MKFOJDLFJDKSFJ or an SU-30LDKFJDSKFJ or an SU-35?  Whatever; it's one of the ones with the IRST off-center.

In this picture you can see how the blend between the wing and the fuselage creates a vortex (the low-pressure area where the water is condensing out of the air) at high angles of attack that spills over the main wing, similar to what the LERX on the F/A-18 do or canards on backwards-designed aircraft.

Some oldie but goodie heavily modded versions of early gen fighters.

F-11F-1F Super Tiger, a roided up F-11 Tiger, which in turn was based on a modified F9F-6 Cougar designed for better area ruling.

m3BBebf.jpg

F107A, roided up F-100 Super Saber. It may be fucking ugly, but at least it's fucking ugly in a lovable way.

f-107a.jpg

8051954699_848c1ab1e2_b.jpg

Xi8ubu7.jpg

From here.

From this angle you can see the leading-edge wing devices (which the F-15 lacks), and a bit of the angular shape of the landing gear doors.  All of the landing gear, weapon bay and service hatch doors on the F-22 are angled and "saw-tooth" shapes, which helps reduce radar cross section.

Once the landing gear is retracted, the surface of the F-22 has no sharp irregularities; all of the control surface actuators, avionics and other accessories are hidden under smooth fairings.

Z-20, designed to replace some aging troop transport helos (among some other functions). Design inspired by the Blackhawk, though with some noticeable differences depending on which variant.)

125903643_61n.jpg

Note that some earlier test versions had a blunter nose and some more curves/fins on it then a US Blackhawk, the reasons behind this I'm not certain of.

Z-20+fuselage++s70+uh60+helicopter+Chine

The Z-19, and the Kawasaki OH-1 are both examples of the sort of scout helo that makes a lot of sense. Essentially, they are modern incarnations of early-variant Cobras optimized for the scout role with much better avionics.

The US uses aging OH-58 Kiowas, in this place, but tried to skip this more sensible idea in the 1980s with the RAH-66 Comanche, which is like the Z-19 and OH-1, if both of those were stealth and had requirements cancer.

One upshot to the US Army using the upgraded OH-58, though, is that the helos look like they're out of Mad Max with how rough and rumble they are:

OH-58D_2.jpg

kiowa-photo-hr.jpg

img_18913.jpg

041028-F-2034C-022.jpg

Also, an aspect of the Kiowa that is much cooler than either the Harbin or Kawasaki is the MOTHERFUCKING SWORDS sprouting from it. That's actually what they are, too, high alloy steel blades designed to cut cables in flight.

The Kiowa gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's upgraded obsolescence, but on the other hand it's a pretty cool little bird.

Four Polish pilots walk past Polish Air Force Su-7BKLs on the ramp of Polish Air Force base. The Fitter-A in the center has a three digit tactical number, while the others have two digit tactical numbers. The Fitter in the foreground has the gun blast panel covered with powder streaks from a recent gun firing.

1511500_488090594690046_8042049392046570

Unit insignia, such as these markings carried on a Polish MiG-23MF, were rarely seen on Warsaw Pact aircraft. 28th Fighter Regiment, Redzikowo Air Base near Slupsk.

11427163_487048814794224_341773466567658'

Moar migs

11169689_833943316654287_748250271316601

11136244_828156637232955_831717304822817

421176_427024960679460_1571619225_n.jpg?

156214_427025020679454_1521399730_n.jpg?

304025_427025034012786_1501222509_n.jpg?

185148_427039820677974_182142040_n.jpg?o

430119_427045687344054_40760264_n.jpg?oh

11001868_803616006353685_690941766269635

In this edition of "real or not?" the HX bomber program I've posted earlier, now known as the H-20 (an old designation resurrected oddly) is now in full ahead mode development wise, and while that means we'll likely see some info soon, these concept arts emerged, and its debated whether theyre fake or not, normally I'd say yes, but the PLAAF is usally rather quick to dismiss unofficial photos as fakes and they haven't so... I don't know,

jNsCXtl.jpg

6CTtG4u.jpg

MfzN1MY.jpg

Another note is it actually does resemble the old official concept art and models posted, but with some slight differences.

(These are confirmed as official PLAAF concepts, but are somewhat old)

JHX_8.jpg

China-new-stealth-fighter.jpg

So, while I won't deem the new concepts as official, I'll simply deem them "plausible" for now.

Also, to further question this, Colli, how would the unconfirmed new photos even work if said plane was tasked as a fast medium-long range stealth bomber in your opinion as you happen to be the forums best authority on aerospace stealth designs? (It's designed to operate more like a smaller B-1A variant Lancer with a stealth config as opposed to a straight flying wing design that can operate for many days like the B-2 supposedly.)

Looks like a deformed offspring of an Su-34 and a YF-23 which would make sense for its role. 

I figure one thing worth pointing out is that, unlike the really old technical sheet that has air-to-air missiles for defensive purposes, the "new" photos cut those entirely and show it with a full load of either long range cruise missiles or large supersonic anti ship missiles, which could be a sign as to why it's seen floating over the contested Diaoyu Islands in the artwork. (in the last it has no wingtip weapons, likely for an increased stealth profile.)

Just love the lines of the early MiG's.. Very reminiscent of the Caudron racers..

nTGr8Ub.jpg

And speaking of French aircraft-

If you've never seen one of these up close, they are surprisingly compact for a "modern" fighter.

jrma38n.jpg

In this edition of "real or not?" the HX bomber program I've posted earlier, now known as the H-20 (an old designation resurrected oddly) is now in full ahead mode development wise, and while that means we'll likely see some info soon, these concept arts emerged, and its debated whether theyre fake or not, normally I'd say yes, but the PLAAF is usally rather quick to dismiss unofficial photos as fakes and they haven't so... I don't know,

So, while I won't deem the new concepts as official, I'll simply deem them "plausible" for now.

Also, to further question this, Colli, how would the unconfirmed new photos even work if said plane was tasked as a fast medium-long range stealth bomber in your opinion as you happen to be the forums best authority on aerospace stealth designs? (It's designed to operate more like a smaller B-1A variant Lancer with a stealth config as opposed to a straight flying wing design that can operate for many days like the B-2 supposedly.)

Seems reasonable enough to me.  I had seen some of those wind-tunnel test models before.

Putting the air intakes on top shields them from ground-based radars.  B-2 and F-117 do this as well.  This is very bad for high AOA stuff, but it's not a fighter so that shouldn't matter.  Edge alignment, etc look OK.  Volumetric efficiency looks reasonable as well, so it should have decent internal fuel capacity.  Is it supposed to be area-ruled?  I can't tell.

That one concept where they're keeping the bottom very flat is interesting.  F-117 does that too.

Seems reasonable enough to me.  I had seen some of those wind-tunnel test models before.

Putting the air intakes on top shields them from ground-based radars.  B-2 and F-117 do this as well.  This is very bad for high AOA stuff, but it's not a fighter so that shouldn't matter.  Edge alignment, etc look OK.  Volumetric efficiency looks reasonable as well, so it should have decent internal fuel capacity.  Is it supposed to be area-ruled?  I can't tell.

That one concept where they're keeping the bottom very flat is interesting.  F-117 does that too.

From what I gather, It's in between the size of an F-117 and a B-1 Lancer (yes, large difference I know, but there's a reason I use this for comparison though), but designed to act more like a longer range F117 with the speed of a B-1A Lancer. (right there as a matter of fact.)

As I said above, being able to stay airborne for days, if not weeks without landing (assuming aerial refueling is there of course) like the B-2 can doesn't seem to be a priority unless to PLAAF changes it's mind and says otherwise. seems to just be "Carry a payload that can still wreck shit with a low profile while getting in and out fast if required to."