Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the Pak-Fa thread

Tied

...Precisely why couldn't Russia skip 5th Gen fighter development? It's not like that has never happened before. They basically skipped 1st gen jet development, for example.

Last I checked the genotypical second gen was afterburning and carried a radar and missiles. The jump to second gen was the jump from the MiG-15 to the MiG-17, and the jump to supersonic fighters especially couldn't have been done easily at all without working with the preceding jets. If you meant going from straight to swept wings, those were two things that could be researched and assembled separately.

Similarly, making the jump from 4th to 6th would be pretty hard without getting the experience working with 5th generation tech. (Also Tied, part of the 5th/4th generation divide has been codified by LockMart, so take that as you will with regards to Eurocanards' capabilities).

On the other hand it's a bit weird to discuss just strapping swept wings on planes as a full generational leap. They're still gunfighters with a totally minimal avionics fit even if there's a significant performance boost. I'd imagine something like a late model F-15 up against an F-14A would be a similar mismatch in most any conditions (I'll refrain from making fun of the early model F-16). Similar for the F-102 and F-106.

On the other hand it's a bit weird to discuss just strapping swept wings on planes as a full generational leap. They're still gunfighters with a totally minimal avionics fit even if there's a significant performance boost. I'd imagine something like a late model F-15 up against an F-14A would be a similar mismatch in most any conditions (I'll refrain from making fun of the early model F-16). Similar for the F-102 and F-106.

The gap between a P-59 and an F-86 is way, way bigger than just swept wings.

The gap between a P-59 and an F-86 is way, way bigger than just swept wings.

The gap between the FJ-1 and an F-86 is really pretty much that though. Same for an F9F and F9F-6, for example. I wouldn't say it's a bigger gap than between an early and late 4th gen fighter, for example. In each case, the late planes will run roughshod over the early ones, but they're still in the same ballpark for design priorities and technologies.