Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Armored Warfare Disappointment Thread

T___A

• 2 weeks later...

AW has made a mistake that the WOT developers foreswore with the armor model; WOT has reasonably simple armor mechanics, and they still confuse newbies.  AW has much more complicated mechanics (that aren't even particularly realistic), which, so far as I can see, exist only to confuse newbies.

Be honest, how long did it take you to really figure out and work with WOT's armor mechanics?  A week?  A month?  How many players are going to quit the game in frustration?

Technically, it's neither. Originally CDI was chosen to supply concept development and designing in 1976, and ROK/US signed the ROKIT (ROK Indigenous Tank) agreement in 1978. CDI did finish up most of the work by April 1981 following ROKA's ROC (Requirement for Operational Capabilities), but after Chrysler sold CDI to General Dynamics, GDLS picked up the program.

It was during the designing process that the hydropneumatic / torsion bar hybrid suspension was introduced. Intelligence of the introduction of T-62 to KPA in 1977 led to ROKA panicking about a second "tank shock", similar to how DPRK was able to push ROK to the Pusan Perimeter back in 1950. Thus, ROC required that ROKIT have the Soviet-style flat shape, leading to the general shape being squashed. Ultimately the turret-only depression was -3 degrees, so hydropneumatic was deemed necessary. This is why you have the suspension itself being practically the same as GM's XM1 (1st, 2nd, 6th wheels are hydropneumatic, 3rd ~ 5th are torsion bar), which allowed kneeling and raising of -7 degrees ~ +3 degrees.

The following are the prototypes:

PV-1

ctqCKce.jpg

qmXL2hA.jpg

The turret is a fake one, acting as weight while the hull's mobility and such were being tested. Location is no other than Aberdeen.

PV-2

4SrQcFP.jpg

tawGrW7.jpg

Full-scale prototype, also tested at Aberdeen. While most of this would make it into production, there were issues with the diesel engine (AVDS-1790-9A), and when in 1984 the US enforced export restrictions on the engine, ROKA would use the MTU MB 871 engine. After tests, it was time for production.

Ok, I have to make a small correction.  The engine that was intended for the ROKIT was the AVCR-1790, not the AVDS-1790-9A.  These two engines are easy to confuse since they are both 1200HP and are essentially the same with the exception that the AVCR-1790 had variable compression pistons while the AVDS-1790 had conventional pistons.  The AVCR 1790 was the earlier engine, it was an attempt by Teledyne Continental to use the variable ratio piston tech they had developed for the AVCR-1100 and AVCR-1360 engines for the MBT-70 and General Motors XM-1 prototypes.  Anyhow, the Teledyne engineers messed up the design and the AVCR-1790 had issues.  Not long after the AVCR-1790 suffered it's fate, Teledyne was able to get 1200HP out of a conventional piston AVDS-1790 engine by introducing improved turbo-charging and after-cooling.  The AVDS-1790-9 1200HP engine is currently in service in the Merkava III and also in the Namer APC (the engine is still in production for this vehicle.)  

I always dug the weird-looking Abrams prototypes in a way.

I'm definitely having a lot of fun with Armored Warfare. Obsidian did some interesting things to balance the game out, and I appreciate it. They've created good incentives for teamwork in that each type of vehicle has its own important traits to bring to the field, and all of them can succeed in some kind of a fight. I'm having a lot of fun with BMPs, BMDs, and the Swingfire.

The biggest complaint I have is that I feel like the MBTs could use some more health in the earlier stages. It gets better in later tiers when they can hold more in terms of armor, but early on, they tend to just get spotted and blapped by BMPs.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that means we gotta check Daigensui's Super Sekrit Japanese Archives the WOT Korean forums.

Sumeragi is the one that put M18 in Wargame RD. He(NOT she) was kicked from several Korean internet communities including the WOT forum last year, but seems he's still spreading false and biased information on other forums...

Sumeragi is the one that put M18 in Wargame RD. He(NOT she) was kicked from several Korean internet communities including the WOT forum last year, but seems he's still spreading false and biased information on other forums...

Oh? I'd be really interested to hear more on this matter. (Let's just say we have.....history.)

It's a very very long story so just a quick summary for now...got no time these days unfortunately

1. Daigensui(or Sumeragi; 스메라기) first appeared on Korean WOT forum 2 years ago. He introduced himself as a Korean-Japanese woman currently living in Canada and working as a consultator for WOT Japanese tank tree. Then he quickly succeeded in forming a group of fanboys, but not everyone liked him as his fanboys were somehow ruining the forum, and himself was problematic.

2. On June 7th 2014 some WOT players casted doubt on Sumeragi's gender. #Link1 #Link2

3. Then one of the forum members uploaded a series of evidences indicating that Daigensui is not a female, but actually an ex-marine named Kang Seung Jae(this part needs verification as some sources says that he was never a conscript). Other evidences also claim that Sumeragi is a male and banned from numerous forums for his lies,

i3566216209.jpg

4. That night the forum administrator(롤랑) invited Sumeragi to a private chat. Admin gave Sumeragi a time to defend himself, but the admin couldn't hear any repliy.

5. During the same period Korean Wargame RD players were complaining about M18 hellcat, which was never used by the ROK army. Then someone found out that it was Sumeragi's fault, and annoyed WRD players joined bashing him.

6. Sumeragi sent his explanations to the admin. #Link1 #Link2 Majority of the Korean WOT and WRD players concluded that Sumeragi's explanations aren't credible enough.

7. Admin made a phone call with Sumeragi. Phone number was from Vancouver, but "her" voice was definitely male's.

So now he's kicked from Korean WOT and WRD forums, but that retard currently using a sockpuppet account according to the admin.

p.s. He's also famous for pseudologia in other Korean gaming forums. According to Daigensui, he's...

* a twenty-something female residing in Vancouver

* a lesbian but engaged with "her" cousin

* a smartass that graduated both Tokyo and Yonsei university

* working in a major company owned by "her" relatives

* so wealthy that he can invest $10million rightaway

* a distant relative of current Japanese emperor

It's a very very long story so just a quick summary for now...got no time these days unfortunately

1. Daigensui(or Sumeragi; 스메라기) first appeared on Korean WOT forum 2 years ago. He introduced himself as a Korean-Japanese woman currently living in Canada and working as a consultator for WOT Japanese tank tree. Then he quickly succeeded in forming a group of fanboys, but not everyone liked him as his fanboys were somehow ruining the forum, and himself was problematic.

2. On June 7th 2014 some WOT players casted doubt on Sumeragi's gender. #Link1 #Link2

3. Then one of the forum members uploaded a series of evidences indicating that Daigensui is not a female, but actually an ex-marine named Kang Seung Jae(this part needs verification as some sources says that he was never a conscript). Other evidences also claim that Sumeragi is a male and banned from numerous forums for his lies,

i3566216209.jpg

4. That night the forum administrator(롤랑) invited Sumeragi to a private chat. Admin gave Sumeragi a time to defend himself, but the admin couldn't hear any repliy.

5. During the same period Korean Wargame RD players were complaining about M18 hellcat, which was never used by the ROK army. Then someone found out that it was Sumeragi's fault, and annoyed WRD players joined bashing him.

6. Sumeragi sent his explanations to the admin. #Link1 #Link2 Majority of the Korean WOT and WRD players concluded that Sumeragi's explanations aren't credible enough.

7. Admin made a phone call with Sumeragi. Phone number was from Vancouver, but "her" voice was definitely male's.

So now he's kicked from Korean WOT and WRD forums, but that retard currently using a sockpuppet account according to the admin.

p.s. He's also famous for pseudologia in other Korean gaming forums. According to Daigensui, he's...

* a twenty-something female residing in Vancouver

* a lesbian but engaged with "her" cousin

* a smartass that graduated both Tokyo and Yonsei university

* working in a major company owned by "her" relatives

* so wealthy that he can invest $10million rightaway

* a distant relative of current Japanese emperor

ah complaing about the m18

back when people gave too shits about the overall quality of Red Dragon, and pointing out that more units does not equal better units and there is no point in putting a shitload of 10 point tanks in the game that are not likely to be used at all by any modern army and your time and resources would be better spent balancing shit like the 25-50 point tanks that would make up 60% of even the most fancy of militaries

I guess you can figure out how that turned out= the devs ignored it, and every new thread/patch since the early days is or is responding to a couple of overpowered superweapons

I've never liked Sumeragi. I watched the incident, and it surely did worth a popcorn.

ah complaing about the m18

back when people gave too shits about the overall quality of Red Dragon, and pointing out that more units does not equal better units and there is no point in putting a shitload of 10 point tanks in the game that are not likely to be used at all by any modern army and your time and resources would be better spent balancing shit like the 25-50 point tanks that would make up 60% of even the most fancy of militaries

I guess you can figure out how that turned out= the devs ignored it, and every new thread/patch since the early days is or is responding to a couple of overpowered superweapons

Hellcats are...well...useful when used as a bait for ATGMs  :lol: