Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The future of PLA bullit spitting devices: Powerful Chinese weapons and infantry units/LEO thread.

Khand-e

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, That_Baka said:

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/profile/9-khand-e/

Is China even using 14.5mm HMG?Or switched like Russia to 12.7mm?

Any hard on 14.5mm SLAP round? Is there chinese modern analogue of 14.5mm B-32 tungsten cored API seeing Chinese have biggest amount of Tungsten ores?

By the way, for future reference, directly linking to my profile doesn't actually do anything, you have to do @ name without the space for it to page someone. Also, while it's fine here, don't bother doing it on the general discussion boards because I very rarely read that forum.

Anyway, the newer 14.5mm rounds used by the Chinese are rather interesting, and while it is suggested they use it, both on fixed tripod mountings and in turrets for certain vehicles aswell as for export, alot of where and how exactly it's used is unknown for the most part.

As for data on the SLAP round made for it, well, let's take a look.

ikLtjJT.jpg

The round itself is called the DGJ02, there's a few interesting things to note about it, like, unlike the US .50 SLAP design, it has a fully covered nosed designed to break away in petals after firing (originally it was design to separate after 150-200m, I've heard that's been improved on though.)

PO1dSEB.jpg

This is rather interesting, as some machine gun designs and rifles can't actually use US styled open tipped SLAP without modifications, example, the Barrett M82/M107 can't because the sub caliber tip won't actually engage the feed ramps properly without a modified barrel and ramping.

You'll also notice from the image above that it has a tracer in the back, nothing out the ordinary, one minor point of interest however is that it harkens back to old school ranging tracers of WWI in that it uses a dual colored tracer that's Green out to 500m and then Red out to 1000m+  (I don't know the exact burnout range on the 2nd stage of the tracer.)

As for how it performs, the thing is a goddamn brute, the Tungsten Carbide penetrator has a weight of 45g and has a MV of approximately 1,250 m/s and will reliably punch through 20mm of RHA at a 60 degree incline at 1000m distance. some speculations on why the Chinese chose to go with a new HMG design in the QJG02 over the Type 56 and 58 (old license produced KPVs and ZPUs) is that these run quite a bit hotter than WW2 vintage ammunition, or that maybe it feeds better, or just that they wanted a fresh design to replace the aging fleet of KPV clones, I've never really gotten a straight answer on this, but the point is it was deemed necessary to move on to a new design, which we'll discuss later.

There's also a second round they designed to go with it called the DGE02, which is listed as an "APHEI" round designed against soft skinned and light armored vehicles and low flying aircraft, basically, the test for this was, once again, at 1000m, it will penetrate 15mm of RHA set at a less punishing 30 degree incline, then there's a second test where they shot 2 thin RHA plates at 300m, one 2mm thick and another behind it 1.2mm thick (distance apart is unknown), they claim that "at least 20 fragments will penetrate with 75 to 95 additional incendiary pellets being produced which have an average of an 80% chance to ignite aviation fuel." what fuel type exactly they were using, once again I don't know as obviously there's more then one type of aviation fuel. note that this also features the double colored tracer of the DGJ02.

So, in addition to the SLAP round, they also made kind of sort of an Mk. 211 analogue to team up with it, they supposedly also made 12.7mm versions of these but I don't have performance characteristics of these. (one of the pictures I used to have for the of DJE02 I used as a stand in was of the 12.7mm version, green case with a yellow tip and black band painted below it.)

I'm going to do a part 2 on weapons but, I need to clear some things up first.

20 hours ago, Khand-e said:

By the way, for future reference, directly linking to my profile doesn't actually do anything, you have to do @ name without the space for it to page someone. Also, while it's fine here, don't bother doing it on the general discussion boards because I very rarely read that forum.

Anyway, the newer 14.5mm rounds used by the Chinese are rather interesting, and while it is suggested they use it, both on fixed tripod mountings and in turrets for certain vehicles aswell as for export, alot of where and how exactly it's used is unknown for the most part.

As for data on the SLAP round made for it, well, let's take a look.

ikLtjJT.jpg

The round itself is called the DGJ02, there's a few interesting things to note about it, like, unlike the US .50 SLAP design, it has a fully covered nosed designed to break away in petals after firing (originally it was design to separate after 150-200m, I've heard that's been improved on though.)

PO1dSEB.jpg

This is rather interesting, as some machine gun designs and rifles can't actually use US styled open tipped SLAP without modifications, example, the Barrett M82/M107 can't because the sub caliber tip won't actually engage the feed ramps properly without a modified barrel and ramping.

You'll also notice from the image above that it has a tracer in the back, nothing out the ordinary, one minor point of interest however is that it harkens back to old school ranging tracers of WWI in that it uses a dual colored tracer that's Green out to 500m and then Red out to 1000m+  (I don't know the exact burnout range on the 2nd stage of the tracer.)

As for how it performs, the thing is a goddamn brute, the Tungsten Carbide penetrator has a weight of 45g and has a MV of approximately 1,250 m/s and will reliably punch through 20mm of RHA at a 60 degree incline at 1000m distance. some speculations on why the Chinese chose to go with a new HMG design in the QJG02 over the Type 56 and 58 (old license produced KPVs and ZPUs) is that these run quite a bit hotter than WW2 vintage ammunition, or that maybe it feeds better, or just that they wanted a fresh design to replace the aging fleet of KPV clones, I've never really gotten a straight answer on this, but the point is it was deemed necessary to move on to a new design, which we'll discuss later.

There's also a second round they designed to go with it called the DGE02, which is listed as an "APHEI" round designed against soft skinned and light armored vehicles and low flying aircraft, basically, the test for this was, once again, at 1000m, it will penetrate 15mm of RHA set at a less punishing 30 degree incline, then there's a second test where they shot 2 thin RHA plates at 300m, one 2mm thick and another behind it 1.2mm thick (distance apart is unknown), they claim that "at least 20 fragments will penetrate with 75 to 95 additional incendiary pellets being produced which have an average of an 80% chance to ignite aviation fuel." what fuel type exactly they were using, once again I don't know as obviously there's more then one type of aviation fuel. note that this also features the double colored tracer of the DGJ02.

So, in addition to the SLAP round, they also made kind of sort of an Mk. 211 analogue to team up with it, they supposedly also made 12.7mm versions of these but I don't have performance characteristics of these. (one of the pictures I used to have for the of DJE02 I used as a stand in was of the 12.7mm version, green case with a yellow tip and black band painted below it.)

I'm going to do a part 2 on weapons but, I need to clear some things up first.

Is there any 14.5mm cartrige derivatives? Like WW2 soviet 14.5x147mm Blum ?

EMIG7QT.jpg

A leak picture from a private exhibition of new PLA spec-ops night vision device 

one on the left basically is PLA version of GPNVG-18 for both day and night using

the one on the right says pyro-magnetic imaging device

the earlier leaked three bino head mount night vision seems like didn't make it after all

9bcq28w.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/693763.html

Baoding / prov. Hebei / January 4 / Xinhua / - Secretary General of the CPC Central Committee, Chairman of the People's Republic of China and Central Military Council Xi Jinping on January 3 visited one of the Army's divisions in the Central Zone of the Combat Command of the People's Liberation Army of China. (Xinhua / Li Gang)

As you can see on the shots of the Chinese television report about this inspection, among other things, the chairman with a combined automatic grenade launcher QTS-11, which in recent years is being supplied to units of the People's Liberation Army of China.

DSst-_yV4AAr_gJ

Spoiler

DSsxXIgVwAAr97j

DSsxVskVwAAJR0f

DSsxVsZVwAEoWR8

DSsxVscV4AAaamb

On 1/7/2018 at 7:32 AM, Xlucine said:

Lightweight AFV, or just because they could? The receiver looks a tad large for a light machine gun

That's the thing, I don't actually know why it was made.

And yeah, the receiver and barrel are surely significantly beefier than on the QJY88, you can tell just by looking at it. (I'm guessing because it's harder to fuck with a co-axial or other vehicle location mounted machine gun if it overheats or some shit than an infantry served one.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...