Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

American muscle cars, 64-73, and other American cars, like race cars

There were plenty of VERY fast factory Caminos. Some were even blessed with the LS6 454 engine.

Guys used to fill the back up with water bladders or sand to get traction at the strip, and they would run. Even Ford put a 428 in their Ranchero in the spirit of the muscle car era.

Something you may not know is that the Camino/Ranchero concept is alive and well in Australia. They make modern version with performance options (ground pounding V8s):

GM/Holden's offering comes with an LS3:

23vno0y.jpg

Ford likes powerful vehicles, so they decided to go with the much more powerful supercharged 5.0 (coyote):

09-FPV-GS-Ute-Front-3-Quarter-004.jpg

We discussed this, but I would imagine that a Camino-type vehicle would come in pretty handy in Oz. Low population density, lots of space and need for hauling capability, but not to the ridiculous degree (let's move a family of 12 and our entire cattle ranch with one vehicle) that Americans are fond of.

But I dunno, prolly talking out my ass.

The primary users of Utes (pronounced "youts") seemed to be tradesmen. They would put tool chests in the back, like we do with trucks, full of plumbing equipment, electrician's tools, gardening and lawn maintenance stuff, etc.

And then of course a large section of Ute drivers are hot rodders.

I don't think any muscle cars were considered "classy". They were all just moderately priced American sedans.

Of the era?

Buick Wildcat, Olds' 88, Pontiac Bonneville.. Just a few that were toward the "classy" end of the spectrum.

You're thinking of the F-85/Cutlass, and similar. (Even the Cutlass' got "fat" as time passed.)

But back to 455s, as I stated they are all very different engines. You would think that all engines under the GM umbrella with the same displacement would have a lot of parts commonality, but this is not the case at all. GM actually had each brand competing against one another! In fact, it wasn't until recently that they merged fleet sales of all brands.

A '67 GTO's 455:

IMG_5890_zpse0wvsknz.jpg

Hurst Olds:

Buick GS stage 1:

IMG_5892_zpsu1sbdyl8.jpg

And the 442 W30 for some olds redundancy:

Lastly, to break the combo, we have the holy grail of engines of the era (Ford's cammer disqualified), an engine to which only Chevy's LS6 454 comes close (the Ford 429 will show over 600 hp on a flywheel dyno!):

Very nice cars!

That 67 GTOs engine compartment is awesome.  Classic are AC/Heater and clean firewall. All the wiring hidden.  What else did you do to it? More pics please.  If you haven't figured it out Pontiac is my bent.  What carb you running? 

Is that the same motor they put in the Buick GSX?

As for the GN bringing back the muscle car to the US, well, it certainly was admirable but there was already a renaissance going on. However these cars scoot pretty well:

sadsd_zpsvhk4cz3a.jpg

Yeah on the GN reviving things, mostly off the cuff there, the Fox body 302 cars from Ford had as  much to do with if not more, but they are not GM so you know how it goes. 

I was going for, Chrysler was a less classy brand, IE, if you could afford a GM brand, or even a Ford, you bought some kind of Chrysler.  

Really?

Dodge maybe.. Have you ever driven one of the late 60's/early 70's Imperials? Those were very upscale cars.

Honestly, I've never even seen one, cars like that are extinct and have been for years in the parts of Cali i've lived in. Unless their hiding garages and never get driven.  You still see Cadys around from that era though. 

But I'm posting from the car brands are like political parties view, so probably out of my ass. 

Though the anti Chrysler thing was handed down from my dad, his mom liked Chryslers and she was not a classy lady. 

Very nice cars!

That 67 GTOs engine compartment is awesome.  Classic are AC/Heater and clean firewall. All the wiring hidden.  What else did you do to it? More pics please.  If you haven't figured it out Pontiac is my bent.  What carb you running? 

Is that the same motor they put in the Buick GSX?

Yeah on the GN reviving things, mostly off the cuff there, the Fox body 302 cars from Ford had as  much to do with if not more, but they are not GM so you know how it goes. 

The GTO was bought at auction and has the factory correct quadrajet on it. It is just a nice restoration. We are not much into restomods or deviating too much from period correctness (with some exceptions).

But yes, the GSX Stage 1s have the same engine.

But even GM guys have to concede that the fox cars dominated the GM stuff. It wasn't until the LS1s got put into the fbody cars that GM started to be taken seriously again.

Since the Mustang and Camaro have existed, the whole "which one is better" seems to have flipped every few years, lol.

Generally the late 350 turd gens were a bit faster from the factory than the mass air foxes (even Ford admits that the speed density cars ran faster and harder), but it took next to nothing to get a fox to kill them at the strip.

Torque boxes aside, the fox chassis is incredible. Light weight, factory 4 link, forged pistons, easy to work on, and years of R&D still make them a force to be reckoned with. Shame that it seems like all the good 87-93 cars have been raced to death.

Generally the late 350 turd gens were a bit faster from the factory than the mass air foxes (even Ford admits that the speed density cars ran faster and harder), but it took next to nothing to get a fox to kill them at the strip.

Torque boxes aside, the fox chassis is incredible. Light weight, factory 4 link, forged pistons, easy to work on, and years of R&D still make them a force to be reckoned with. Shame that it seems like all the good 87-93 cars have been raced to death.

Or just driven to death, I know a guy who put almost 200,000 miles on  his 90 GT before he gave up on keeping it on the road.  And sure, GM really didn't have a decent competitor until the fourth gen F Body hit. 

Honestly, I've never even seen one, cars like that are extinct and have been for years in the parts of Cali i've lived in. Unless their hiding garages and never get driven.  You still see Cadys around from that era though. 

But I'm posting from the car brands are like political parties view, so probably out of my ass. 

Though the anti Chrysler thing was handed down from my dad, his mom liked Chryslers and she was not a classy lady. 

My maternal grandparents had a series of Impys, they were insanely overpowered vehicles. The last had a 440 that I'd heard came from an ex MSP Fury.  It would do it's hardest to shove you through the small waterbed it had for a front seat. The interior made some of the 20's and 30's limos I've seen look like the mudroom of a shotgun shack.

Here are a few of my favorite oddball cars.

%2768_Dodge_Dart_GTS_%28Les_chauds_vendr

The Dodge Dart is ubiquitous for being the vehicle of choice for little Scandinavian grandmothers driving down the road, hunched over the wheel at 15 miles per hour with their left turn signal on and a seatbelt hanging out of the door. Equipped with a slant six, these were very forgettable - if popular - offerings.

However, Dodge made a more sporty performance oriented vehicle with the GTS package starting with a 340 cu inch and an optional 383. Apparently a handful of Dart GTS were offered with a 426 Hemi on a super lightweight frame which would be an absolute screamer of a ride as well as the 440 Magnum.

The 1968 Dart GTS is my favorite of the lot and the convertible is pictured above. And while the big block offerings are impressive, a 340 or 383 pressed into this small car will hold its own on the line. The original advertising emphasized this idea while promoting young professionals engaging in romantic endeavors in the woods.

68-Dodge-Dart-the-scat-pack-compact.jpg

• 2 weeks later...