Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Bash the J-20 thread.

Khand-e

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If they learn how to guide them, probably not.....It might actually prove to be a very smart move.

Actually they've had guided 90mm rockets for quite a long time now, I just think that the J-20 of all planes is perhaps the most bizarre choice yet as a mounting platform even though model number 2002 is the second oldest of all the prototypes so it's likely just used as a test bed for random things at this point. (these are likely training or unguided rockets though.)

It's an old post so the comparison picture between the BRM1 and the standard unguided rockets got wiped when the forum updated to version 4.2, I reupdated the it though.

Strapping weapons to the outside of a stealth fighter is generally not a very wise idea.  But maybe this is like what happened with the PAK-FA; someone said "make sure it's compatible with all in-inventory weapons systems!"  And the program managers shrugged their shoulders and started testing the bird with all the weapons in the inventory.

2 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Strapping weapons to the outside of a stealth fighter is generally not a very wise idea.  But maybe this is like what happened with the PAK-FA; someone said "make sure it's compatible with all in-inventory weapons systems!"  And the program managers shrugged their shoulders and started testing the bird with all the weapons in the inventory.

I edited the post but, as I said in the edit, my theory is that, since the testr plane they used is number 2002 which is the second oldest prototype, maybe they just use it to test strange shit like this at this point.

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd assumed the rocket pods were on retractable pylons, festooning the outside of a 'stealth' aircraft with anything isn't a brilliant idea.....Although I do seem to recall 'stealthed' weapon pods being discussed, possibly in the context of the X-44?

Boeing was pushing the idea for the Super Hornet:

l60rQb2.png

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd assumed the rocket pods were on retractable pylons, festooning the outside of a 'stealth' aircraft with anything isn't a brilliant idea.....Although I do seem to recall 'stealthed' weapon pods being discussed, possibly in the context of the X-44?

Honestly I'm going with the theory still that they were just doing a functions test, or maybe seeing if it did work with the guidance system of the 90mm guided rocket systems.

2002 is an old plane, it will never see service so I doubt they'd go through that much trouble without seeing if it works at all first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...