Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Humvee Successor Selected

Scolopax

I'm more disturbed that they (the DOD) is losing sight of what "a replacement for the HMMWV" should be.

Armor is nice, but when they decided to discard the M151 series for a mish-mash of CUCV and HMMWV, they began moving away from the concept of a cheap and practical utility vehicle.

I'm more disturbed that they (the DOD) is losing sight of what "a replacement for the HMMWV" should be.

Armor is nice, but when they decided to discard the M151 series for a mish-mash of CUCV and HMMWV, they began moving away from the concept of a cheap and practical utility vehicle.

Is it true you're still trying to resell the idea of the M3 Scout car to the US Armed Forces?

You need to balanced armored trucks and non-armored ones. You don't need these Oshkosh things in non-combat roles, a M151 type vehicle would do fine there. With the US being focused more on counter insurgencies, I'd expect to see a more armored vehicle to patrol MidEast cities and countrysides in order to resist some damage. 

Is it true you're still trying to resell the idea of the M3 Scout car to the US Armed Forces?

More like the "Jeep" or 1/4 ton utility vehicle.

You need to balanced armored trucks and non-armored ones. You don't need these Oshkosh things in non-combat roles, a M151 type vehicle would do fine there. With the US being focused more on counter insurgencies, I'd expect to see a more armored vehicle to patrol MidEast cities and countrysides in order to resist some damage. 

Right, I have no issue with it being adopted as a replacement for the heavy armor versions of the HMMVW, but the article reads as if they are replacing all of them with it. 

Which is silly but not outside the realm of nonsense and possibility tried by the DOD/WD.

I mean this is the same bunch who thought replacing a 1/4 ton truck with a 1.5 ton one was a good idea, but decided that the M37 was "too expensive", leading to the M715 and the CUCV.

I was in for a good while and outside a few specialized units and range control, never really saw many CUCV in combat unit roles. 

I think we learned that vulnerable vehicles puttering around in even supposedly "secure" areas still ended up with men and women coming home dead.  I spent a lot of time in HMMVW, this looks like an upgrade to me. 

I was in for a good while and outside a few specialized units and range control, never really saw many CUCV in combat unit roles. 

I think we learned that vulnerable vehicles puttering around in even supposedly "secure" areas still ended up with men and women coming home dead.  I spent a lot of time in HMMVW, this looks like an upgrade to me. 

Wait, you were actually able to LOOK upon it and tell the tale?

Which is where these belong.

But for the large percentage that is not in an area where they'll potentially be shot at, is this a sound substitute?  I'm doubtful that the HMMWV was, let alone a large armored vehicle.

If the US is going to keep doing what it is doing in the places it is doing it, there are never really going to be any areas where they don't have the potential of being shot at. The Jeep was great for running about behind the lines, back when you had actual lines. You still need a utility vehicle but it needs to be survivable when everything outside your base is vulnerable to attack. 

Is it a sound substitute for a grocery getting utility vehicle? No it isn't. If the US is going to continue getting itself into the situations it finds itself in, they are almost a necessity. 

That's an issue with how the military is being used (abused) , and idiotic ROE, not practicality though.

Kind of like when troops were sent to Somalia, but the admin morons thought "tanks sent the wrong message".. Now you have a situation where it seems they want every vehicle to be armored, which brings about it's own set of politically induced fuckwittery.

I can't see this thing being much other than a hassle and maintenance headache for the 99% of duties that do not involve being shot at.

It being pushed as a replacement for an unarmored 1.5 ton "utility" truck (blivet) smells an awful lot like congressional job vending to me.

I'll say it before and I will say it again

The 20th century was the peak for warfare. Its all going downhill from there

If you guys need me, I will be stuck in 1976 where the AFVs didn't look like ass and we all walked around in stylish uniforms complete with jackboots

My dad was the program manager for the Teledyne Continental Humvee bid back when I was a kid. He was gone for over a month, stuck in Aberdeen Maryland when that competition was taking place.  I remember being very upset when AM General won the contract, I was only ten years old at the time.  News that the "Hummer" is being replaced makes me realize how much older I am now.

I'm gonna guess that the humvee will hang around much longer than intended, much like the M113 seems to stick around, despite what the Army tries to do.  

At least one Israeli unit thinks highly of the Humvee.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...