Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The interesting ship photos/art thread.

Belesarius

15780640_10205970452978933_7552489054086

Cleveland-class Light Cruiser, 'USS Santa Fe' CL-60 pulls alongside Essex-class Aircraft Carrier, 'USS Franklin' CV-13 as it lists towards its starboard side after suffering two direct hits from a pair of armour piercing bombs, dropped by a lone Japanese plane. Near Okinawa. 19th March, 1945

Heh, this just popped up on my FB feed, and I'm reading about that deployment. Cool!

15747678_10154138315143344_6901953939460

USS Essex (CV 9) underway during her first Korean War deployment, circa August 1951-March 1952. Two F2H-2 Banshees of Fighter Squadron 172 (VF-172) are flying by in the foreground, preparing to land. Nearest plane is Bureau # 124954. The other is probably Bu # 124969. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval History and Heritage Command.

Photo # NH 97270

Well, the Battle was also long gone by the time the BPF was a thing. Right manufacturer, though!

I've taken a liking to the Barracuda, but I've probably just been playing Atlantic Fleet too much

All of the Fairey failplanes (Fulmar, Albacore, Barracuda, Firefly, Spearfish and Gannet) have a certain appeal to them.

Edit: renaming the planes to fit the theme gets you Failmar, Failcore, Failacuda, Failfish and Failnet.

• 2 weeks later...