Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The interesting ship photos/art thread.

Belesarius

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Construction of diesel-electric submarines B-274 "Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky" project 636.3 "Varshavyanka" for the Pacific Fleet

ax1rayPYxvk.jpg

Huh, I figured they'd assemble the array as a unit then bolt the whole thing to the hull. Wiring up all the hydrophones must be a pain.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Construction of the submarine project 677 "Lada"

nskR_3fwPjE.jpg

I hadn't noticed the casing on the keel before, odd. We should be able to see torpedo tubes from that view as well, I wonder when they're fitted during construction?

• 2 weeks later...

Norman Friedman is the Hunnicutt of naval technology books. Every single book he's published is A. The gold standard of books on that topic and B. Worth every penny.

As he is still alive at this time, I unironically reccommend buying his books even if there is a PDF available, as he deserves every penny he gets from it.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

He's a great place to start, you can find many of his books on PDF if you poke around too. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, N-L-M said:

Norman Friedman is the Hunnicutt of naval technology books. Every single book he's published is A. The gold standard of books on that topic and B. Worth every penny.

As he is still alive at this time, I unironically reccommend buying his books even if there is a PDF available, as he deserves every penny he gets from it.

I see another author coming up too: Janusz Skulski? Seems to make a lot of Imperial Japanese books. Worth looking into? 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, N-L-M said:

I bought mine. You get what you pay for with the pdfs cause they are readable but the illustrations suck.  

It is a huge chunk of change to buy all of them as books but worth the money if you have it.