Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian tanks at war. Some pictures and words between them.

LoooSeR

Oh.  I interpreted it that the fenders were torn off by the explosion.  'Cause modern ATGMs have enormous warheads, and even if the HEAT doesn't poke a hole in the armor, it's still a mighty big bomb going off right next to the tank.

10 kg of explosives wont to all that much to a tank though. Especially since it's not located directly on the armour itself.

Looks like it didn't penetrated. Gunner left this vehicle holding his left ear.

If ATGM managed to pierce armor, gunner head would have been very close to penetration hole and his face would have been filled with fragmentation and/or part of HEAT jet. Basically, he would be dead, most likely, if turret was penetrated.

A Sound explanation. I could buy that, but  I still like to speculate around this a little.

As I see it, the ATGM approaches bit from the left and penetrates right about where you presented it. To take another view into it, it tried to take that into another angle:

mDusyzS.jpg

The possible hit area could be longitudinally expanded here, and thus it might be possible that the TOW hit the upper portion of front turret K-5 first (the part which is visible in the lower left corner), had at least its precursor defeated and then partially penetrates towards the NERA cavity where it is stopped. In that case the gunner gets stunned, bails out and gets his ass kicked later.

How ever, to me it looks like it hit higher than that, more towards the area between the gun mantlet sleeve, the laser detector and the gunners daysight.

I dont see it viable that the turret roof armor, well known weakspot of the cast turret design could resist even a single warheaded heavy ATGM.
The jet would form  and start penetrating on low angle among the roofline, ultimately breaking in to the combat compartment above the breech. A jet proceeds to say hello to the commander whose error assessing the threat caused the whole event.

How the gunner makes it out in that case? All I can think of he keeping his face in his sight and has the right side of his face covered partially by the breech which is in relatively high stance due the close to 0 degree elevation.