Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

US Population Distribution Thingie

Sturgeon

You guys are just going through the same urbanisation pattern we (and other 'developing countries') are. The joke is that such a lopsided distribution (empty countryside and jam-packed megacities) is the most efficient way of distributing goods and services to a population. So the Western European model of more mixed distribution may just be an anachronism due to their weird demographic setup.

You guys are just going through the same urbanisation pattern we (and other 'developing countries') are. The joke is that such a lopsided distribution (empty countryside and jam-packed megacities) is the most efficient way of distributing goods and services to a population. So the Western European model of more mixed distribution may just be an anachronism due to their weird demographic setup.

In this sense, Judge Dredd is a bit prophetic, although the Foundation series is a more light hearted take on it.

In 2000AD there is nothing outside of the megacities (food production is essentially a mystery nobody is interested in exploring)

In the real world, everything outside of the megalopolii is either for recreation or resource production. It's mines, farms, water works and parks, with nary a human in sight.

That is why I moved out to the middle of what was once nowhere. I have a strong dislike of people and out here I didn't need to see many of them. 

Now, people are moving out here in droves to "get into the country"  but bringing everything from the city with them.  Rezoning land, building strip malls and chain stores, and throwing up cookie cutter housing developments with names like "The Estates of Fox Oak Creek" although they chased off the foxes, cut down the oaks, and paved over the creek...

That is why I moved out to the middle of what was once nowhere. I have a strong dislike of people and out here I didn't need to see many of them. 

Now, people are moving out here in droves to "get into the country"  but bringing everything from the city with them.  Rezoning land, building strip malls and chain stores, and throwing up cookie cutter housing developments with names like "The Estates of Fox Oak Creek" although they chased off the foxes, cut down the oaks, and paved over the creek...

Where do you live?

In my neck of the woods (Gauteng) there has been a similar explosion of housing estates, malls and new developments of every sort. But this is because the province is hoovering in population from the rest of the country. Go to Mpumalanga and it's damn near empty.

Congrats on absorbing suburbanites, the urban areas thank you for your sacrifice.