Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Hippie Hate Thread

In a development shocking to absolutely nobody: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12019820/Skunk-causes-damage-to-vital-nerve-fibres.html

It seems perfectly obvious to me that long term use of any psychoactive chemical could damage the brain, but I'm obviously not a hippie.

Yeah sorry, hate to indirectly defend hippies, but this article reeks of the usual bullshit where the researchers are paid to find a conclusion about a drug and fuck everything else or other sensationalist garbage to scare the public.

Notice how fucking vague all the details are, it doesn't even bother stating what said "damage" actually occurs, how there's an "urgent need" to share these unlisted dangers to the general public and policymakers (who are well known for writing sane laws regarding things they don't understand and don't respond to sensationalist bullshit at all as we all know), are and like Toxn said, the study isn't even linked to in any way whatsoever, let alone the full thing.

Sorry that I need more then "Well, some scientists said it does this thing according to.... well that's not needed, just believe us!" from a shitty newspaper like the telegraph (where, the government and the populace in the UK is far more against cannabis and other drug use then the US could ever hope to be.)

I've seen where heavy chronic usage of cannabis could lead you to that conclusion.  I know a lot of people who are what I would call regular but casual smokers, and I know a few stoners.  Stoners are annoying and I suspect correlation to personality rather than causality.  The stoners I know are freaking irritating even when they aren't stoned.

I've seen where heavy chronic usage of cannabis could lead you to that conclusion.  I know a lot of people who are what I would call regular but casual smokers, and I know a few stoners.  Stoners are annoying and I suspect correlation to personality rather than causality.  The stoners I know are freaking irritating even when they aren't stoned.

I am drawing on my own personal experience, actually. I've watched a few promising young folks get way too into weed and basically turn themselves into social/intellectual vegetables, only good at mooching money off their parents.

Now, before anyone gets confused or annoyed, I am talking about this happening with heavy and near-constant cannabis use. I don't think I've ever seen major personality shifts with regular-moderate use.

Alcohol is still a helluva lot more dangerous.

I am drawing on my own personal experience, actually. I've watched a few promising young folks get way too into weed and basically turn themselves into social/intellectual vegetables, only good at mooching money off their parents.

Now, before anyone gets confused or annoyed, I am talking about this happening with heavy and near-constant cannabis use. I don't think I've ever seen major personality shifts with regular-moderate use.

Alcohol is still a helluva lot more dangerous.

I like weed.  It's a neat buzz, and omg, great for dealing with moderate level pain.  I just don't get being stoned all the time.  Just like I don't get being drunk all the time.  Even if I do drink way more than is healthy for me.  But sometimes you have to be able to function properly and make decisions unhindered by mind altering substances.  Like when working or dealing with your kid, operating machinery etc.

There is a time and place.

I like weed.  It's a neat buzz, and omg, great for dealing with moderate level pain.  I just don't get being stoned all the time.  Just like I don't get being drunk all the time.  Even if I do drink way more than is healthy for me.  But sometimes you have to be able to function properly and make decisions unhindered by mind altering substances.  Like when working or dealing with your kid, operating machinery etc.

There is a time and place.

Right, besides my personal distaste for it (weed), I feel much the same way about pot and alcohol. Moderate, regular use is probably not going to hurt you. Heavy use will fuck your shit up.

I feel like this is actually very similar to the conversation we had earlier about me hating on German fanboys, and that getting confused for hating German stuff or Germany or whatever. Pot's inanimate, so I can't really hate it, specifically. What you will find I react strongly to is 420 stoner culture BS, specifically the thread that insists pot is totally harmless, because that shit has ruined some people.

Weed for me is hit and miss

i toke me a good 3 or 4 times to get high proper, and i would be lying if i said i didnt enjoy it'

But its a vice, not a habbit and i dont go out enough to really get around people enough to use it 

I am experiencing alot of knee and head pains lately, so i might try it again 

Right, besides my personal distaste for it (weed), I feel much the same way about pot and alcohol. Moderate, regular use is probably not going to hurt you. Heavy use will fuck your shit up.

Moderation in everything, including moderation. :P

I agree with you mostly.  Abusing almost any substance can have negative consequences. Sugar abuse leads to obesity and diabetes, too much salt can be an aggrevating factor in hypertension etc. etc etc. We can go on and on.

Weed for me is hit and miss

i toke me a good 3 or 4 times to get high proper, and i would be lying if i said i didnt enjoy it'

But its a vice, not a habbit and i dont go out enough to really get around people enough to use it 

I am experiencing alot of knee and head pains lately, so i might try it again 

I had tried pot a few times socially and never really gotten much out of it.  But I remember very clearly sharing a joint outside the bar after it closed one night and I had a bit of an epiphany and realized that holy fuck, my knees don't hurt.  That's when I started smoking more regularly.  I'm not exactly a heavy user.  A quarter (7 grams) lasts me anywhere between 3 weeks to over a month depending upon how much I end up sharing with other people.

Hippies are this terrible atavism of American culture that will surely destroy the Western world...

Like donward points out, hippies are another niche group of what ultimately are consumers

It could argued that the majority of hippies are very passive to inflicting change at worst and dormant docile leaches at best

Most of them get useless degree's so you dont have to worry about them running things, most of them feed off their parents, so combined with their low-income jobs they dont have enough drive to aspire to anything greater aslong as their lights are still on and their weed supply still constant

If anything, their one big "accomplishment" of late, legalizing weed in North America is thanks more to politicians realizing its another tax thats being left uncollected and its a great opportunity to get more votes

And by all means i support it, its clear with the current state the United Stats is in they aren't going to be rebuilding their infrastructure with the endless cycle of spending on entitlements and taxing their most productive members of their citizenship

The real dangers are cut from the same cloth as mentioned above- the hippie enablers

SJW warriors, PC police, and politicians who see every group as a potential voter base

Hippies by themselves aren't dangerous, but the talking heads who say "no listen, i dont agree with all they have to say but they have the right to say it and they do make some valid points" are

Hippies dont get people fired from their jobs for saying the wrong joke, carol in HR does

Hippies dont open the floodgates for Syrian refugees, people in pressed suits and with short haircuts do

Hippies didnt take down the Berlin wall and bayonet the brightest period in human history, weakling party members did

Ironically, the people who have tried for the last 20 years to destroy the last bits of freedom of expression the United States through Political correctness and feeling politics are only given a voice by things like the bill of rights, which they consider outdated and needs to be repelled

Its a good example of why Democracy is in my opinion, a bad system

You have groups of grass eating long hairs, screaming their hearts out to take away what white men fought and bleed for, so they can have even more police to spray mace in their mascara drowned eyeballs 

I had tried pot a few times socially and never really gotten much out of it.  But I remember very clearly sharing a joint outside the bar after it closed one night and I had a bit of an epiphany and realized that holy fuck, my knees don't hurt.  That's when I started smoking more regularly.  I'm not exactly a heavy user.  A quarter (7 grams) lasts me anywhere between 3 weeks to over a month depending upon how much I end up sharing with other people.

Sounds like time for another try at it 

Thanks hothead! 

To be honest, It's not even me entirely defending pot in particular with that article, but just the fact pretty much every article regarding drugs gets treated that way as "oh, this article is shit from an actual reporting and sourcing standpoint? HAH, I KNEW ALL ALONG "X" WAS SO BAD!"

Meanwhile, genuine myths get perpetuated not just by public ignorance, but by the police and policymakers when they find out something is actually false.

Take the "Bath salts zombie man!" case for example, you probably can't even read about that or even hear it casually mentioned without the word bath salts (usually Mephedrone for you serfs who don't know what they truly are usually) and how it can turn people into literal zombies who don't respond to people or gain super human strength and just act on the fringe!

The reality of that case is, that's still "being debated" by the Miami police and used as an example of their danger is, Rudy Eugene tested completely negative for Mephedrone, infact, he tested negative for that and every other drug (including many designer drugs) except for small amounts of Cannabis that was likely residual at that point on the screening, in a logical situation, that would be the end of it.

....But apparently, testing 100% negative for everything isn't "conclusive evidence" that Bath salts weren't involved, so they had them test again, and then test again with some other shit commonly labeled as bath salts, and then test again with "here's some shit that hasn't appeared on the streets in 20 years, but lets test for it anyway, just fucking find something!", and yet despite all this, not only does the MPD and Florida legislators refuse to let it go, simply blaming it on some unknown wonder drug the forensics labs in Miami are apparently too incompetent to find after all this time or was somehow unique to this case (which they've been more or less forced to agree with) that was probably one of those bath salts things I heard so many bad things about, so, in short they still think It was the probable "cause" for Eugene's attack, and the myth still goes on much like Ronsons or .50 BMG rifles at Waco or whatever the fuck.

The reality of the situation is, Rudy Eugene had a massive history of criminal and violent incidents including assaulting his mom and fucking up their kitchen at the age of 16 for unknown reasons, threatening to shoot her in the face on a different occasion, multiple accounts of resisting arrest, and many others up to around early-mid 2009, perhaps being a violent, unpredictable psychopath may have played a factor in the attack? no, we need to PROVE it was bath salts so we can get more funding to combat this horrifying epidemic!

And, this is what I take issues with, the issues of "Any positive (from your agenda) findings no matter how flimsy are true, and any evidence thats false but need to find evidence for can easily be found if you're paid to reach a conclusion and not do actual research."

DISCLAIMER: That's not to say Mephedrone is a perfect angel of a substance, it can and will infact kill the shit out of you if misused, however, I have yet to find any actual evidence it will make you a zombie after doing so.

I think the point was more along the lines of "contrary to what 420BLAZEIT types believe, smoking assloads of pot can actually change your psychology, and usually not for the better."

The problem is, there's not alot of unbiased, well conducted studies to show by how much it actually will or what it will do, but journalism and "studies" like that sure as hell aren't convincing me they're of the unbiased, well conducted type.

And when sensationalist bullshit gets reported like that, with such gems as "there's an urgent need to inform other researchers (ok, this one is fine I guess, maybe you should've done that beforehand to go deeper on your findings and get second opinions if you actually have any before drumming up this shit?), the general public, and policymakers!" In a place where drug laws and views are already draconian as fuck.

To be honest, It's not even me entirely defending pot in particular with that article, but just the fact pretty much every article regarding drugs gets treated that way as "oh, this article is shit from an actual reporting and sourcing standpoint? HAH, I KNEW ALL ALONG "X" WAS SO BAD!"

Meanwhile, genuine myths get perpetuated not just by public ignorance, but by the police and policymakers when they find out something is actually false.

Take the "Bath salts zombie man!" case for example, you probably can't even read about that or even hear it casually mentioned without the word bath salts (usually Mephedrone for you serfs who don't know what they truly are usually) and how it can turn people into literal zombies who don't respond to people or gain super human strength and just act on the fringe!

The reality of that case is, that's still "being debated" by the Miami police and used as an example of their danger is, Rudy Eugene tested completely negative for Mephedrone, infact, he tested negative for that and every other drug (including many designer drugs) except for small amounts of Cannabis that was likely residual at that point on the screening, in a logical situation, that would be the end of it.

....But apparently, testing 100% negative for everything isn't "conclusive evidence" that Bath salts weren't involved, so they had them test again, and then test again with some other shit commonly labeled as bath salts, and then test again with "here's some shit that hasn't appeared on the streets in 20 years, but lets test for it anyway, just fucking find something!", and yet despite all this, not only does the MPD and Florida legislators refuse to let it go, simply blaming it on some unknown wonder drug the forensics labs in Miami are apparently too incompetent to find after all this time or was somehow unique to this case (which they've been more or less forced to agree with) that was probably one of those bath salts things I heard so many bad things about, so, in short they still think It was the probable "cause" for Eugene's attack, and the myth still goes on much like Ronsons or .50 BMG rifles at Waco or whatever the fuck.

The reality of the situation is, Rudy Eugene had a massive history of criminal and violent incidents including assaulting his mom and fucking up their kitchen at the age of 16 for unknown reasons, threatening to shoot her in the face on a different occasion, multiple accounts of resisting arrest, and many others up to around early-mid 2009, perhaps being a violent, unpredictable psychopath may have played a factor in the attack? no, we need to PROVE it was bath salts so we can get more funding to combat this horrifying epidemic!

And, this is what I take issues with, the issues of "Any positive (from your agenda) findings no matter how flimsy are true, and any evidence thats false but need to find evidence for can easily be found if you're paid to reach a conclusion and not do actual research."

DISCLAIMER: That's not to say Mephedrone is a perfect angel of a substance, it can and will infact kill the shit out of you if misused, however, I have yet to find any actual evidence it will make you a zombie after doing so.

Still, when i think deranged pyshcopath, i think columbine

Some neckbeards acting out a power fanstasy who go out like cowards the first time resistance appears on the horizon

Or i think of like some type of mythotical serial killer or something

Its hard to people to fathom eating someone's face off and shrugging off rounds simply due to them being wired wrong

I guess we really underestimate people 

According to the police report, He was shot once, then 4 in quick succession after the first didn't really strike home and dropped pretty quickly after that, that's not really out of the ordinary for an attacker to "shrug off" one hit, and in some cases, people have gone on much longer with worse injuries while completely clean. (See: 1986 Miami shootout)

Hell, that's actually less then alot of police shootings, take this case where a man who refuses to be talked down wielding a knife get unloaded into.

(.....If I honestly have to say a video of a fatal police shooting might be NSFW, what is wrong here?)

Usually in a police shooting, lots of rounds fly, this often gets misreported as "super man takes 8+ bullets to go down!" when in reality, some are just there for "reassurance" and they go down before it ends.

Hippies.  Hippies never changes.

How many people do you know on some bizarre fad diet?

"He believed that since the coconut grew high up in the tree, closest to God and closest to the sun, it was godlike," says Kracht. "And since it had hair and looked like a human head, he thought it came closest to being a man. According to his rather crackpot theory, to be a cocovore was to be a theophage — or eater of God."

Utopian cult's usually end up as a means to have sex with a lotta different women. Leave it to a German to start one where he winds up eating the abomination that is coconuts. 

Only brown coconuts are an abomination, and then only if I'm the poor fool who has to open them up and sliver the meat to add to my muesli.

Green coconuts, on the other hand, are divine.