Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Making A House From Nothing

Yeah, that vid came across my fb page a while back.  It's pretty freaking cool what you can do over time.  Get the basics done first, then slowly improve it.

I'm no survivalist nutjob or anything, but I could make a pretty reasonable shelter for several nights with a swiss army knife.  Be significantly easier with a hatchet or machete.  Give me some rope on top of that and yeah, I could make a reasonable shelter for anything but winter.

That roof is gonna leak like a mother in any sort of rain. And the fire chimney in the floor thingy, while cute, is a really bad idea for a number of practical reasons.

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical since I just got through building an extra fish camp building from stuff I salvaged from the South Naknek dump and various abandoned cannaries. (A pile of corrugated galvanized steel for the win!)

Edit: Again, this guy is clever. And I'm not trying to be too critical. I'm just not sure the practicality of this particular structure. If it is meant to be temporary, say a week or less, it is way too labor intensive. If it is meant to be permanent, say over a winter/rainy season, there is a lot more work to be done.

They're interlocked. But judging by the design and how they were placed and the light coming through, there are hundreds and hundreds of gaps. You need those design of tiles to be about a foot deep to overcome that flat design.

Which is how they were done in real life.

I'm not saying I'd turn up my nose if lost in the woods and stumbled on that shack. It is shelter. And it is clever he did it with zero tools. But it will take more work to make it water tight.

That roof is gonna leak like a mother in any sort of rain. And the fire chimney in the floor thingy, while cute, is a really bad idea for a number of practical reasons.

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical since I just got through building an extra fish camp building from stuff I salvaged from the South Naknek dump and various abandoned cannaries. (A pile of corrugated galvanized steel for the win!)

Edit: Again, this guy is clever. And I'm not trying to be too critical. I'm just not sure the practicality of this particular structure. If it is meant to be temporary, say a week or less, it is way too labor intensive. If it is meant to be permanent, say over a winter/rainy season, there is a lot more work to be done.

I kind of had the same thoughts once I got over how cool it was. He should really have made tiles with interlocking flanges and put some paper windows in.

For reference: wattle-and-daub, thatch and pounded clay floors are still really common in rural parts around here. So I figure that that's probably a better route to go.

But fuck it, that whole project speaks to me on a deep level. Like, the part of me that made mud houses as a kid, fired river clay sculptures in the family hearth and still looks at any piece of land with an eye to resources.

I kind of had the same thoughts once I got over how cool it was. He should really have made tiles with interlocking flanges and put some paper windows in.

For reference: wattle-and-daub, thatch and pounded clay floors are still really common in rural parts around here. So I figure that that's probably a better route to go.

But fuck it, that whole project speaks to me on a deep level. Like, the part of me that made mud houses as a kid, fired river clay sculptures in the family hearth and still looks at any piece of land with an eye to resources.

No. I totally agree. I'm 90 percent in awe of that job with just the final 10 percent being the grousing that guys will always do over any sort of construction project. Just throw some more shingles up there and it should be good. 

The fire under the cabin is my biggest critique. Mainly because you have to feed it from the outside and who wants to go outside in the rain and cold to feed your fire? Maybe in Australia this isn't as big of a deal.

No. I totally agree. I'm 90 percent in awe of that job with just the final 10 percent being the grousing that guys will always do over any sort of construction project. Just throw some more shingles up there and it should be good. 

The fire under the cabin is my biggest critique. Mainly because you have to feed it from the outside and who wants to go outside in the rain and cold to feed your fire? Maybe in Australia this isn't as big of a deal.

I think in Northern Australia the fire is mainly to try and cook whatever venomous monster took up residence while you were out chopping wood or whatever.

Viking. 

There are already a few in the US, Ravensborg is a pretty large one. Of course Wolin Poland, Trelleborg Sweden, Foteviken Sweden, and Moesgaard Denmark have some really awesome ones. I've been to Wolin, Trelleborg, and Moesgaard for reenactments. Cool places. 

As my father says "the problem with the idea of gun control, is that you're not putting that genie back in the bottle."

On the other hand, it's not like there are many folk who could make their own from scratch.

I'd be pretty happy with a world where access to weapons was limited by having to make it yourself. If nothing else, you'd be mugged by a handier class of crook.

Also, my ability to make rudimentary weapons would finally have some sort of practical use.