Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Vela Incident Article

http://thebulletin.org/flash-past-why-apparent-israeli-nuclear-test-1979-matters-today8734

This article presents quite a bit of evidence that the Vela incident was an Israeli nuclear test (with South African support), and that this was somewhat suppressed by the Carter administration. Interesting article, to say the least.

The crazy thing is that, from what I've heard, this was actually the third test (the article actually refers to this hypothesis). The other two were successfully hidden thanks to knowledge of the Vela constellation locations "obtained" by the Israelis prior to the tests. The third time was simply bad luck, as the information obtained had the satellite which spotted the test listed as out of service. This, combined with the expected cloud cover not showing up on time, was what gave the game away.

This article goes into more detail about the incident, and mentions that some days later fission products were detected downwind of the probable test site.

The Vela Incident should serve as a reminded that Democrats are just as eager to disavow science when it's inconvenient to their agenda as the Republicans are.  Don't trust the fuckers.

(The NCCIH is your other clue).

On the other hand, the Vela Incident was a rare instance of Jimmy Carter triumphing; in this case over his archnemesis, Doing Something.

Interesting.. I guess there are also other classified cases like this?

Also, a bit of a half off topic here but:

I didn't really study further about this but our [Egypt] fear that Israel has nuclear weapons was why we didn't sign that Chemical weapons treaty thingy, right?

Interesting.. I guess there are also other classified cases like this?

I think it would be somewhat difficult to have a secret nuclear test, especially in the age of satellites. Secret nuke programs are probably fairly common, but I think it is hard to hide a nuclear blast. Not impossible though. 

If you're Nixon then you sign whatever treaty you want because you aren't going to follow it anyway. 

I think it would be somewhat difficult to have a secret nuclear test, especially in the age of satellites. Secret nuke programs are probably fairly common, but I think it is hard to hide a nuclear blast. Not impossible though. 

If you're Nixon then you sign whatever treaty you want because you aren't going to follow it anyway. 

The US in general seems pretty warm to the idea of adherence to international treaties as sort of optional. Well, for the US at least.

This article goes into more detail about the incident, and mentions that some days later fission products were detected downwind of the probable test site.

The Vela Incident should serve as a reminded that Democrats are just as eager to disavow science when it's inconvenient to their agenda as the Republicans are.  Don't trust the fuckers.

(The NCCIH is your other clue).

On the other hand, the Vela Incident was a rare instance of Jimmy Carter triumphing; in this case over his archnemesis, Doing Something.

"Something" other than giving away the panama canal and being assaulted by sodden rodents.