Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian conflict.

LoooSeR

Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurtz said the European Union should put pressure on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to prevent illegal immigrants from being used for his political purposes against the EU.
/.../
   “These people (migrants) are not fleeing from Idlib, not from Syria to Greece. These are people who have been in Turkey for many years. The President Erdogan deliberately organized this process. Buses are provided, migrants are given information. Consciously, attempts are being made to organize this march to Greece. President Erdogan uses people like a ball, a weapon, an instrument of pressure against the European Union, ” Kurtz said at a news conference.

21 hours ago, Beer said:

Meanwhile our minister of internal affairs promissed to offer Greece a help in guarding the Turkish border including sending our policemen. I guess that at least some V4 countries will come with the same offer. 

Well, not Greece, but we hungarians offered help for Serbia. Seems like nobody really cares about the situation outside of V4. Western politicians may babble about how serious this new wave of rapefugees, but they do nothing else. 

3 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Well, not Greece, but we hungarians offered help for Serbia. Seems like nobody really cares about the situation outside of V4. Western politicians may babble about how serious this new wave of rapefugees, but they do nothing else. 

That’s because these refugees maintain the crisis that keeps the politicians elected; why would they solve the problem that gives them so much power and money? 

This situation reminds me of the last ~200 years of the Roman Empire... 

19 hours ago, Stimpy75 said:

For being a Turkish citizen I really don't want to participate in this thread....for that I love this site too much

Stay safe over there, Stimpy: the situation is probably not going to get much better due to both sides increasing their aggression. 

Today SAA took Afes and pushes back to Nayrab. Maybe the jihadists took Sheikh Aqil at the northern sector of the front but we have to wait for some evidence. Map from @suriyakmaps

ESSfnKKXcAYU9Tp?format=jpg&name=medium

SAA captured one a bit used F9 Panthera today and claims to have recaptured the lost T-90, however it's clearly a different tank. Therefore they either lost more T-90 previously or it's bullshit claim. 

4 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

People have doubts about that one as well

What kind of doubts? I can't find them in your post. For me this one looks like the KamAZ version with older radar, i.e. something what SAA definitely has. The reason why the system didn't detect the attacking UAV is most likely heavy EW. I don't think that Syrian AD units operate in a true multi-layer network but rather as a bunch of lone batteries or even single vehicles. As such they must be rather vulnerable to EW if used against well eqipped enemy. Turks definitely are well equipped. 

6 minutes ago, Beer said:

What kind of doubts? I can't find them in your post. For me this one looks like the KamAZ version with older radar, i.e. something what SAA definitely has. The reason why the system didn't detect the attacking UAV is most likely heavy EW. 

I see second twitter post on my screen with screenshots. Maybe you will it if you click on it?

SAA casualties claims:

LIVE — President Erdoğan: Since start of Operation Spring Shield, Turkey destroyed:
• 3,200 regime troops
• nearly 160 tanks
• 100 artillery units
• 3 warplanes
• 8 helicopters
• 7 air defense systems
• <10 ammunition depots

Izvestia's sources say that during the first three days of Turkey's Operation Spring Shield, before Syria moved up air defense systems, Turkey destroyed 23 tanks, 16 IFVs, 9 rocket launchers/MLRS and killed 191 SAA soldiers and wounded another 293. 

Big new of today is the result of Putin - Erdogan meeting in Moscow. 

My take:

1) Erdogan admitted he lost 

2) SAA will not retreat an inch

3) Syria to win basically what was the aim of the ongoing offensive (opening of M4 and M5 highways) - but that may happen only on paper

4) The jihadists are theoretically fucked because according to this agreement they have to retreat 6 km north of M5 (technically they can stay cut off south of it but that makes no sense whatsoever)

5) Opening of the M4 and M5 highways was to be arranged by Turkey already accroding to the previous agreements but it never happened, same can be expected again 

6) The jihadists won't adhere to the agreement so the fighting will continue

By the way the safe corridor includes Jisr al Suqur or Ariha. I can't imagine TIP leaving Jisr al Suqur without a fight. 

Meanwhile TSK lost another two fallen soldiers for nothing.

37 minutes ago, Beer said:

Let's just leave this here...

That is farting against the wind. 200+ SAA soldirs died, 25-30 AFVs were destroyed by Turkish AF and most of we done is to put MP closer to frontline.

1 minute ago, LoooSeR said:

That is farting against the wind. 200+ SAA soldirs died, 25-30 AFVs were destroyed by Turkish AF and most of we done is to put MP closer to frontline.

So did 61 Turkish soldiers, yet Turkey achieved exactly zero of its declared objectives while SAA achieved all of its aimed targets (M4 + M5). All areas captured by SAA (2000+ km2) stay with SAA despite being very clear that in an all out war (which could happen if situation further escalated) Turkey would have an upper hand over Syria. Russia clearly neither want nor need a war with Turkey because Turkey moving back closer to NATO would be far worse outcome for Russia than few towns left in the hands of jihadists in Syria. By all means this is a victory for Syria but of course a partial one. 

4 minutes ago, Beer said:

So did 61 Turkish soldiers, yet Turkey achieved exactly zero of its declared objectives while SAA achieved all of its aimed targets (M4 + M5). All areas captured by SAA (2000+ km2) stay with SAA despite being very clear that in an all out war (which could happen if situation further escalated) Turkey would have an upper hand over Syria. Russia clearly neither want nor need a war with Turkey because Turkey moving back closer to NATO would be far worse outcome for Russia than few towns left in the hands of jihadists in Syria. By all means this is a victory for Syria but of course a partial one. 

Problem is that Turkey have now a chance to secure rest of Idlibostan with their jiahdists scumbags for much longer, which will give more headache in the future, there is even risk of giving Turkey ability to make their "safe zone" buffer.

1 minute ago, LoooSeR said:

Problem is that Turkey have now a chance to secure rest of Idlibostan with their jiahdists scumbags for much longer, which will give more headache in the future, there is even risk of giving Turkey ability to make their "safe zone" buffer.

They would do that anyway. The only difference would be a lot more blood spiled. 

Putin won on two fronts in one battle... 

A lot of airstrikes against the jihadists in Idlib