Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

We have thread about old Soviet cars and Americal cars (that also tend to be about older and top models). This thread is general thread about any cars - new and old, racing or for work. Car news also can be posted here.

I begin this topic with this -

0_147624_94e652b0_XL.jpg

Studebaker Sceptre, created by italian Sibona-Bassano company. Never produced, it is a hell of a looker.

0_147623_dbcc79b1_XL.jpg

0_147627_21ea7cce_XL.jpg

0_147628_24d343b_XL.jpg

0_14762a_cce9b97a_XL.jpg

0_14762b_f21a926e_XL.jpg

Yandex Taxi (Yandex is Russian Google, basically) launched 2 Tesla taxis as part of their fuel costs-reduction experiment. They managed to recude cost for fuel by 132 000 rubles in ~2 months, which is maybe by today exchange ratees is like 10.99$.   :D

http://www.kolesa.ru/news/jeksperty-podschitali-jekonomiju-ot-ispolzovanija-jelektromobilej-v-taksi-2015-09-24

c4a8cf704de3546f4777cce0978c1409-995x550

82201d2ab214bacdc4113c064fb93105-995x550

#firsttimeintesla

65828c67efc2e2e1990df9dd7e3433b7-995x550

a6b8e806405bdbee3e094d66495a7894-995x550

Yandex [Taxi]

f62dc6f7c2a8a34bf98f1dcd2acced62-995x550

edfc50e8ca177a8fd5e9eeaf0f966a5d-995x550

Each Tesla done around 11 000 km during those 2 months, saving over 65 000 rubles on fuel for each car.

In the end of July one Tesla was hit by a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado.

e266c7bad91901ad9ef79d9a8cec8767-995x550

0e6fb41d60ee20065552ad18e603645e-995x550

From a photoshoot a while back in my shop:

24c5eh0.jpg

26062di.jpg

The GT's shortblock can withstand well into 4 digits, and Ford engineers overbuilt the hell out of it. The 4v heads flow an incredible amount of air as well, and a stock longblock with more boost than the factory twin screw delivers will put down really earth-shattering horsepower. Of course, being a Ford mod-motor, they are easy to squeeze power out of (as opposed to a Lambo that needs a shop like Hennessey).

However, to be quite honest the car is somewhat boring to drive. It accelerates so smoothly that it does not throw you back into the seat like most high performance cars do. You simply see the speedometer rushing to the peg while you try and keep up rowing gears.

Also, did I mention you can squeeze a lot of power out of them?

Also, a little project I have been working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEhPwVd2AE

657 at the wheels (750 of so HP at the fly) on pump gas for a little 4.6 liter aint too bad. Of course the little bastard camming and the giant "HOOSIER" logos have stifled any potential money races.

I took Miles Vining from TFB/Small Arms Review for a ride when he was in town and scared the hell out of him. However it wasn't my fault: A little slammed Evo with cheater slicks, a giant FMIC, and a BOV that could be heard in the next county saw it fit to challenge me :)

Lol. Nathaniel is well aware of my passion for automobiles. Believe it or not it surpasses my deep-running appreciation for firearms!

But lets throw in some factoids for anyone who doesn't think much of the humble old internal combustion engine... by referencing what 500 C.I. is capable of:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/columns/0403_top_fuel_dragsters/

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster’s supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G’s. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G’s.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66′ of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:

Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06.

Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the ‘Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the ‘tree’ goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it – from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

Or by the numbers:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0502_top_fuel_numbers/

7500 - Approximate peak output, in horsepower, of a competitive 2005 Top Fuel engine. That's almost 1000 horsepower per cylinder.

500 - Engine capacity, in cubic inches. The block and heads are CNC-milled from solid billets of aluminum, and the oil pan is titanium.

45.5 - Maximum boost, in psi, produced by the supercharger at wide-open throttle. That's more than 3.0 bar, twice the boost achieved by a Mitsubishi Evo VIII.

12,654 - Rpm the supercharger spins at maximum engine speed. With the engine at 8500 rpm, just turning the supercharger soaks up 900 horsepower.

165 - Temperature in Fahrenheit of the 14-71-type supercharger after just 4.5 seconds of maximum boost.

569 - Number of times the engine's crankshaft turns during the entire quarter mile. Each intake valve opens 284 times.

16 - Spark plugs per engine. The twin MSD magnetos produce 88 amps. You need just 12 more to power your MIG welder.

77 - Gallons per minute the fuel system can pump at wide-open throttle. The engine will consume 22.75 gallons of fuel during warmup, burnout, staging, and the quarter-mile run.

900 - Cost, in dollars, of a 55-gallon drum of nitromethane fuel. Current regulations allow a maximum of 85 percent nitromethane in the fuel mix. The rest is alcohol.

58,700 - About what you'll pay, in dollars, for a new, ready-to-run Top Fuel engine.

29 - Minutes it takes to tear down and rebuild a Top Fuel engine between rounds. Each engine is rebuilt 184 times a year (if the driver goes to the final round at every race).

28 - Quarts of oil used during warm-up and quarter-mile run. The oil pan holds 70-weight oil mixed with special thickener.

6 - The maximum number of clutch discs in a Top Fuel car. The multistage clutch is timed to progressively lock up during the run. Each $115 disc lasts a maximum of three runs.

2225 - Minimum weight, in pounds, of a Top Fuel dragster. That's a power-to-weight ratio of 3.37 horsepower per pound, about 20 times better than the new Z06 Corvette's.

300 - Wheelbase, in inches, of a Top Fuel dragster. About 3000 inches of chrome-moly tubing is needed to build the frame, which is left unpainted because of the need to constantly weld cracks.

1082 - Greenbacks you'll need to buy a pair of new Goodyear R36x17.5 rear slicks. If you're lucky, they'll last you a bit over a mile--four runs.

58 - Bead Lock bolts used to retain each rear tire to the wheel. Tire pressures are set between 6.5 and 7.5 psi. ...And Here's What It Does

0.84 - Seconds it takes for a Top Fueler to accelerate to 100 mph from standstill. At launch, drivers are subjected to up to 4.75 g--more than a space-shuttle astronaut.

333.08 - Top speed, in mph, of the 2004 NHRA Top Fuel Championship-winning U.S. Army dragster. When he pops the parachute at the end of his run, driver Tony Schumacher experiences peak deceleration of 6 g.

12,000 - Downforce, in pounds, generated by the rear wing at 325 mph. The downward thrust made by the exhaust gases escaping the headers alone generates 800 pounds of downforce.

85 - Distance, in inches, you'll need to be above the header pipes to avoid getting toasted by the nitro flames exiting those pipes.

8.5 - Number of inches the rolling diameter of the rear tires grows during a 325-mph run, reaching a maximum of 44.5 inches.

o-RON-CAPPS-facebook.jpg

Ron-Capps-NAPA-Dodge-Funny-Car-Gatornati

Nothing says luxury like a Cadillac.

i551609.jpg

Those were pretty terrible cars overall. If you had a customer who liked it you had to be careful with the billing and parts, as it was basically a Cavalier/Skyhawk and they'd complain if they thought you were putting "the wrong parts" on their Cruddylax.

What is the Russian equivalent of a trailer-dwelling man in an incestuous relationship with a cousin who also has has poor, dated taste in music?

Because THAT is that dude's ride... and hopefully third-gen f body stereotypes are trans-atlantic.

I think you just turned on the Tied signal!

Those were pretty terrible cars overall. If you had a customer who liked it you had to be careful with the billing and parts, as it was basically a Cavalier/Skyhawk and they'd complain if they thought you were putting "the wrong parts" on their Cruddylax.

I know, I was posting it as a joke.  One of GM's many missteps in the 80's.  It's too bad they didn't offer a version of the Cimarron with one of their early 80's diesel car engines.  That would have been the terrible car to beat all terrible cars.   

I know, I was posting it as a joke.  One of GM's many missteps in the 80's.  It's too bad they didn't offer a version of the Cimarron with one of their early 80's diesel car engines.  That would have been the terrible car to beat all terrible cars.   

Yeah, I figured, it just keyed up some lingering memories of that turd.

As to GM automotive Diesels, I don't remember seeing them in any of the FWD platforms. They seemed to lurk only in the RWD full size and midsize sedans.

Not sure why you could not have dropped one of the 6.2's into a Toronado, but never saw one.

Not really doable in the Cimmaron/Cavalier platform because of size, unless GM imported one of the small VW Diesels.

I strongly suspect that it's Alex's love for cars (and Russia's relatively poor showing in that field) that has led him to believe Russia produces nothing of value but the AK. :P

I am not a car person, the closest I get is wanting to own a couple armored vehicles some day, or maybe a Toyota Hilux for the lulz.