Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

From 0:42 to 3:00 pretty impressive vehicle by "Motor" Design Bureau to move heavy equipment (like rockets parts) in extreme conditions. Wheels with build-in engines, rear wheels are following trajectory of first wheels to help with turns. Automatic fire extinguishers, APU, temperature control for cargo, and so on. Weight of cargo - up to 200 tons.

"Kortedzh" - cars for Russian President/officials

Here is car for security service that is created under this programm:

wr-840.jpg

It is known that will be based on a modular platform that allows you to do on a common basis of a variety of machines. Now this trend, all major automakers have come to such a technology. As a result, you should see a whole family of cars - a large 6-meter-long limousine, business-class sedan, SUV and bus for security services. 

Cars will be powered by V12 engine with capacity of 6.6 liters with direct injection. It develops 856 HP. Engine is own development of the  Automobile and Engine Institute NAMI, with aluminum block. It has already been shown at last year's Moscow Motor Show. Based on this V12 engine, it is possible to create a smaller engines - V8 and V6.

First 200 "cortege" cars will be assembled on the NAMI production line. And then the production can be transferred to the enterprise of Sollers company, it owns UAZ, for example. A small series of the first cars to be delivered in the Special Garage before the end of this year. So, the cehicles should already be close to serial production and prototypes should already take a road tests.

TIL It is kind of important that the OBD ground wire on my 1995 Toyota Tacoma actually remains grounded.

:mellow:

I guess last month when I changed the plugs and wires on the old girl, in 15 degree temperatures, I didn't do a good enough job tightening down the bolt holding down the ground wire. Plus I didn't put any LockTite on it...

After frantically trouble-shooting whether it was a fuel issue or an air-bubble in the cooling system or gremlins and I was to the point where I was going to give up and get it towed to a mechanic, both my and my little brother's eyes spotted the offending bolt.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:05 PM, Donward said:

TIL It is kind of important that the OBD ground wire on my 1995 Toyota Tacoma actually remains grounded.

:mellow:

I guess last month when I changed the plugs and wires on the old girl, in 15 degree temperatures, I didn't do a good enough job tightening down the bolt holding down the ground wire. Plus I didn't put any LockTite on it...

After frantically trouble-shooting whether it was a fuel issue or an air-bubble in the cooling system or gremlins and I was to the point where I was going to give up and get it towed to a mechanic, both my and my little brother's eyes spotted the offending bolt.

Go to an auto-parts store, and buy the flat, braided ground straps, and make sure the engine, chassis and body are properly grounded.

The electrical issues I've dealt with, most are the result of bad (or worse, intermittent) ground issues.

Just now, Meplat said:

Go to an auto-parts store, and buy the flat, braided ground straps, and make sure the engine, chassis and body are properly grounded.

The electrical issues I've dealt with, most are the result of bad (or worse, intermittent) ground issues.

Well, the immediate issue was just the bolt that held the ground in place walking its way out of the hole. A little Loctite remedied that problem.

The only thing at the moment is the vehicle is running a little low on its voltage which tells me the very old alternator in the thing is beginning to go. Also the battery died when the vehicle was sitting idle for a month and a half in frigid temperatures. Had to jump start it when we were trouble shooting.

42 minutes ago, Donward said:

Well, the immediate issue was just the bolt that held the ground in place walking its way out of the hole. A little Loctite remedied that problem.

The only thing at the moment is the vehicle is running a little low on its voltage which tells me the very old alternator in the thing is beginning to go. Also the battery died when the vehicle was sitting idle for a month and a half in frigid temperatures. Had to jump start it when we were trouble shooting.

Borrow a good old style resistance battery and charging system tester, and see what turns up.

You should be able to hit the "test" switch a good 15 seconds, and see the voltage spike to ~ 14.7 to 15 volts when released before it settles to a solid 13.7 to 14.5 volts.

Also- sometimes douching the alternator out with a good quality contact cleaner will bring it back.  Cleans the crud off the sliprings and can ungum the brush-holders.

5 hours ago, Meplat said:

Borrow a good old style resistance battery and charging system tester, and see what turns up.

You should be able to hit the "test" switch a good 15 seconds, and see the voltage spike to ~ 14.7 to 15 volts when released before it settles to a solid 13.7 to 14.5 volts.

Also- sometimes douching the alternator out with a good quality contact cleaner will bring it back.  Cleans the crud off the sliprings and can ungum the brush-holders.

It's running a little low atm at 13 volts which isn't terrible but has me suspicious of what that entails in the future.

Good advice on the alternator. I might give it a go if the issue doesn't sort itself out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Latil TAR (4x4) wheeled artillery towing vehicle

1.jpeg

The truck was designed by the French machine-building company Latil in 1911. In 1913, this machine was accepted for the service by the French army under the name of Tracteur d'Artillerie Roulante and used in artillery units for towing artillery systems. TAR trucks were manufactured by Latil until 1919

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpg

On 3/15/2017 at 10:13 PM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Saw this today in Fairfax. 

Its a 68 or 69 Plymouth GTX with a 440. I couldn't get interior shots. 

20170315_095819_zpsosvrenqh.jpg

20170315_095806_zpshxglkleb.jpg

Those were good looking cars.  With a low ratio diff, they were also stupidly good on fuel.

Peugeot 203 Familiale

1.jpeg

Was in production from 1950 up to 1954.

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Czechoslovak SUV Škoda-1101VO/P

1.jpeg

The off-road car Škoda-1101VO was developed in 1946-47 on the basis of the Škoda-1101 passenger car, from which a number of units and aggregates were borrowed. The car was launched in serial production in 1948. In 1949, the model 1101VO was replaced on the conveyor with upgraded Model 1110P. The serial production of Škoda-1101VO/P continued until 1951 and around 4,000 machines were assembled. Škoda-1101VO/P came mainly to the armed forces of Czechoslovakia, but some of the vehicles were transferred to Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Poland

2.jpeg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Elva GT160 sport car

0_1c5096_7c0e986d_orig

GT160 was created by the British automobile company Elva, specializing in the production of sports cars. The GT160 was built in the early 1960s. The presentation of the car took place in 1964 at the London Motor Show.
   In the serial production of the car did not started, but three prototypes were made, which participated in the 24-hour marathon in Le Mans

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg