Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

For something lamer, this is what I drove up until a few months ago (when I realized it probably wouldn't pass inspection in New York): a 1999 Subaru Outback with 175,000 miles on it.

iQCTKOfl.jpg

Imagine that, but with Alabama plates, scratched to shit, some rust spots, a severe exhaust leak, and a trunk that's jammed shut. Motor still worked good, though.

The most interesting car ever made. The death rattle of the steam powered automobile. Direct drive, no boiler ('Merican steampunk magic), 4 cylinder compound engine with high and low power pistons, 6 crystals used to regulate burners, one spark plug.

If you have the time, for the love of god watch this:

"Howard Huges preferred his Doble, because it was the only car that would out accelerate his Duesenberg."

The most interesting car ever made. The death rattle of the steam powered automobile. Direct drive, no boiler ('Merican steampunk magic), 4 cylinder compound engine with high and low power pistons, 6 crystals used to regulate burners, one spark plug.

If you have the time, for the love of god watch this:

"Howard Huges preferred his Doble, because it was the only car that would out accelerate his Duesenberg."

It doesn't need to be said here, but that man's car collection is godly and almost makes me want to become an auto nerd.

Some of his stuff is a great point of reference for me to understand how non-gun nerds feel about things like the Gyrojet or Dardick.

More on the steam car, there's also a segment starting about 1:44 in on how they made the fire drum, which is super neat.

Gotta say, I really wonder why something like that plasma coating isn't used in gun barrels. Maybe it would wear away too quick? It would be a great way to dramatically improve the thermal efficiency of a gun.