Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

GAZ will show their new truck/pickup - Vepr NEXT

https://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2017-08/1503411396_1500873438.jpg

Liking it til I get to the front clip.

Seems like it's trying too hard to look like an american truck. Loose the wacky plastic bullshit and put a proper, no bullshit chunk of steel and some normal headlamps there.

Also, that slope on the windshield.  Can we get back to a more upright bit of glazing? steeply sloped glass makes for nasty glare.

The rest?

A proper truck.

Has anyone here tried to make a hybrid out of their car? 

Me and a mate have been thinking about making a "Separate parallel hybrid" out of his Honda Civic 1996. 

Idea was to take out the spare wheel, rework the rear suspension and wheels, cut out holes for the axles, add a differential and a forklift electric motor inside where the spare wheel was.

The rear seats would be completely removed, and batteries would be placed where they seats was located. 

9 hours ago, Xoon said:

Me and a mate have been thinking about making a "Separate parallel hybrid" out of his Honda Civic 1996. 

Idea was to take out the spare wheel, rework the rear suspension and wheels, cut out holes for the axles, add a differential and a forklift electric motor inside where the spare wheel was.

The rear seats would be completely removed, and batteries would be placed where they seats was located. 

So you're essentially giving up power density, adding weight, and chopping a perfectly good ricer up that could use a turbo and a honda vtech swap?

15 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

So you're essentially giving up power density, adding weight, and chopping a perfectly good ricer up that could use a turbo and a honda vtech swap?

Hench the "thinking about". First of course we want to turbocharge it and mess with it to get more power, suspension and exhaust upgrades included. And tires.

Any suggestions? 

On 8/31/2017 at 8:56 AM, Xoon said:

Forget a forktruck mill.

You want a starter/dynamo from a gas turbine engine. A big one . 

Forklift motors are not going to offer you any potential for dynamic breaking (At least the ones I worked on), and were not going to offer much power.

the starter dynamo/Dynastart from a good sized gas turbine will have gobs of torque at low end, endless top end, and if you get your speed controller switching right, will charge the batteries when you begin sucking the seat up into your asshole at ~125 MPh and let the go pedal slack. 

You then want the IRS assembly from a 70's Nissan/Datsun Z car or 710.  From this you can have AWD gas or electric, and a way to have a front mount engine, or rear mount E-drive. 

If you hit a scrapyard and look at the unit, struts, cage and all,  you will see what I mean. You can "backdrive" the trans from the motor via a gearset at the front of the Z diff, and also have a gas mill driving all four wheels.

Matching the gear ratios will be the challenge,and finding a place to hide the batteries. That's why the few EMV's I've dealt with were based on 2WD Nissan or Toyota trucks. 

8 hours ago, Xoon said:

Hench the "thinking about". First of course we want to turbocharge it and mess with it to get more power, suspension and exhaust upgrades included. And tires.

Any suggestions? 

If it doesn't have the 3.0 or 3.5 vtec engine, put one in it and stick a turbo kit in the thing. 

Past that, stiffen up the suspension and rip up the pavement.

8 hours ago, Xoon said:

Any suggestions? 

Or, Just say the following. 

FUCK IT.

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/swap-insanity-454-lsx-engine-in-a-96-honda-civic/

SWAP A 454 INTO IT

In the September issue of the magazine "Behind the wheel," the article by Maxim Kadakov and Maxim Sachkov "There is no bad weather for the Kortedzh" is published, in which the authors report the latest known news on the "Cortege" project for the development of Russian cars of the government-representative class, with the leading role of the State Research Center of the Federal State Unitary Enterprise " Research Automobile Institute "(NAMI).

So, it is reported that the cars should be ready for the inauguration of the Russian President in 2018, which will be held in May 2018. Therefore, the work on the project "Cortege" (the official name of the "Unified Modular Platform", EMP) is in full swing. Several prototypes have already been made that are being calibrated and tested. Based on their results, the developers make the necessary adjustments to the design and prepare the documentation for serial production. All tests are carried out on sedans EMP-4123.

4642990_original.jpg

One of the prototypes of the sedan EMP-4123 project "Cortege" is primed at the Likino bus plant of "GAZ Group", probably in the spring of 2017 (c) vk.com/russiancarsindustry

A significant part is occupied by climatic tests. The assembled cooling system circuit was tested in the GAZ climatic laboratory. They had to show how aggregates and systems will behave at extreme temperatures. One of the requirements of the technical task - all the machines of the project EMP must work flawlessly in the temperature range from -40 to +50.

pnnWPDEGTuE

Referring to the developers, the authors note that all machines based on EMP will be hybrid. Between the gasoline engine (in the scale engines V12 and V8, as well as the in-line "fours") and the gearbox there is an electric motor that helps with sharp acceleration and simultaneously double as a starter-generator. It twists the internal combustion engine before starting revolutions and is powered by a high-voltage lithium-ion battery. And that in the cold the battery starts to give electricity, a separate heater circuit is built in the separate cooling circuit of the battery.

bkj7QGLdKqc.jpg

On 2.9.2017 at 1:27 AM, Meplat said:

Forget a forktruck mill.

You want a starter/dynamo from a gas turbine engine. A big one . 

Forklift motors are not going to offer you any potential for dynamic breaking (At least the ones I worked on), and were not going to offer much power.

the starter dynamo/Dynastart from a good sized gas turbine will have gobs of torque at low end, endless top end, and if you get your speed controller switching right, will charge the batteries when you begin sucking the seat up into your asshole at ~125 MPh and let the go pedal slack. 

You then want the IRS assembly from a 70's Nissan/Datsun Z car or 710.  From this you can have AWD gas or electric, and a way to have a front mount engine, or rear mount E-drive. 

If you hit a scrapyard and look at the unit, struts, cage and all,  you will see what I mean. You can "backdrive" the trans from the motor via a gearset at the front of the Z diff, and also have a gas mill driving all four wheels.

Matching the gear ratios will be the challenge,and finding a place to hide the batteries. That's why the few EMV's I've dealt with were based on 2WD Nissan or Toyota trucks. 

Now, where do I find a gas turbine starter?

12 hours ago, Xoon said:

Now, where do I find a gas turbine starter?

"Trade-A-Plane", Ebay, various gov surplus auctions.. If you live near Tucson they are all over the place.

There are not scarce, should not be super expensive, and are pretty hard to burn up. But they are also obscenely dangerous, as they need pretty serious bench mounts for testing. A common machinist's vise will notdo, and a bracket MIG'd out of mild steel will stretch and fail if stressed. 

I've had a couple, intending to make them into standalone gensets, but never had the right combo of "huge, cheap generator" (here a dynastart/ starter/dynamo) and "huge, cheap engine" at the same time.

As it is I presently have a decent generator, and waterpump, and small wheeled chassis, and lead on a hand cranked Hatz Diesel.