Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

9 hours ago, Meplat said:

"Trade-A-Plane", Ebay, various gov surplus auctions.. If you live near Tucson they are all over the place.

There are not scarce, should not be super expensive, and are pretty hard to burn up. But they are also obscenely dangerous, as they need pretty serious bench mounts for testing. A common machinist's vise will notdo, and a bracket MIG'd out of mild steel will stretch and fail if stressed. 

I've had a couple, intending to make them into standalone gensets, but never had the right combo of "huge, cheap generator" (here a dynastart/ starter/dynamo) and "huge, cheap engine" at the same time.

As it is I presently have a decent generator, and waterpump, and small wheeled chassis, and lead on a hand cranked Hatz Diesel.

We lack all of those in my country as far as I am aware, especially where I live.  We don't have any aircraft industry, and only two small airline companies. Those two and the military are the only ones with jets. Could be tricky .

I guess I would have to import then. I live 8000km from Tucson, so that would be pretty hard.

I am thinking about just modding the crap out of a weaker electric motor, liquid cool and overvolt the crap out of it. Maybe change the frame. 

15 hours ago, Xoon said:

We lack all of those in my country as far as I am aware, especially where I live.  We don't have any aircraft industry, and only two small airline companies. Those two and the military are the only ones with jets. Could be tricky .

I guess I would have to import then. I live 8000km from Tucson, so that would be pretty hard.

I am thinking about just modding the crap out of a weaker electric motor, liquid cool and overvolt the crap out of it. Maybe change the frame. 

There is no form of military/industrial surplus market there? 

I admit Arizona does seem to be "the place where planes go to die", but there has to be something remotely similar in every country. 

7 hours ago, Meplat said:

There is no form of military/industrial surplus market there? 

I admit Arizona does seem to be "the place where planes go to die", but there has to be something remotely similar in every country. 

We completely lack any form of aircraft industry, maybe a few repair shops, but those are far and few in between. 
Forsvaret does not sell plane parts, at most a tracked vehicles, but usually a old car or truck or parts for them. 

We tend to recycle a lot, which makes it hard to even find good scrapyards, and our low population does not help. (About a 30. times smaller than the US).

Peugeot 401 Eclipse, pretty rare car.

2817253_original.jpg

Peugeot 401 Eclipse is a modification of the family car Peugeot 401, equipped with a folding roof (which was done with the help of electric drives). Serially produced around 1934-1935 by Pourtout. A total of 79 cars of this type were made.

Spoiler

2818149_original.jpg

2817326_original.jpg

2818034_original.jpg

2818874_original.jpg

Leyland truck with gas turbine.

2901142_original.jpg

This version of the truck was created in 1968. Leyland 2S/350 350 hp engine was installed on this truck for as part of evaluation of gas turbines on commercial vehicles. Further tests work on the truck were not done - the prospects of this power plant on commercial vehicles were very vague due to low efficiency

Spoiler

2901472_original.jpg

2901543_original.jpg

2902562_original.jpg

2903020_original.jpg

On 9/7/2017 at 1:53 AM, Xoon said:

We completely lack any form of aircraft industry, maybe a few repair shops, but those are far and few in between. 
Forsvaret does not sell plane parts, at most a tracked vehicles, but usually a old car or truck or parts for them. 

We tend to recycle a lot, which makes it hard to even find good scrapyards, and our low population does not help. (About a 30. times smaller than the US).

Ah Norway..

Yeah, you may have to ask the Finns or the Russians for stuff. Or the Germans, if you can deal with them. 

Finns tend to hang onto things, but I liked dealing with them. I grew up around a lot of Finnish immigrants.  

Russians always want stuff up front but can be great friends once you break the ice.

Germans?

Talk to your laptop if you want an engaging conversation. Always business.

Oh, have you tried the French? They tend to hang on to stuff but will sell cheap.  They would make fun of my patois Qubecois based French but if you're dealing with a guy who is into whoosh bam boom. they are great contacts.

Once got loads of 'Mog parts from the French, just because I'd make them laugh with my absurdly bad use of the language.. 

On 9/9/2017 at 5:07 AM, LoooSeR said:

Tigr cabriolet for parades, was used in St.Petersburg.

Ro67YYi.jpg

Minus the fancy paint, I'd drive it to work.

And nobody would notice. They'd just assume I fucking built it. 

Shitty exhaust location though.  

On 9/20/2017 at 9:26 PM, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I got a guy who wants to sell me his 1996 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a 5.7L AND a 5.3L engine block, intake, fuel rails, etc for 3000 bucks. 

Somebody stop me from doing this.

No.

35 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

You.

101179.jpg

A BEER you motherfucking simpleton! You expect me to drive SOBER (drawing a WW2 crash axe from behind the passenger seat).\

Saved 32 people with this bit of steel I tells ya (while weaving more than a bit) AND hacked a fucking Nazi to bits with it .. You a fucking Nazi!? (as the car weaves)...

Cause if you were... Oh FUUCK... (A large truck is blocking the lane) That MOOTHERFUCKER.. (the testee gets out of the "car" and drags out a Mk II BREN with a 100 round drum..)

"MOOVE YER ARSE YA BOCHE  CORKSUCKAH"  then  the BREN opens up ~ "Best thang ta carry in ya car  ah says. " the maniac hollers as he stitches the truck, and basically everything in sight with the LMG...

(next time on  "Meplat drives British  Highways"... "Oi, want to see what a fucking  105 does to a shitlord blocking traffic in a Caravan?" I has a Sherman that'll do 60 MPH< and it has a big gun.  Tune in!)