Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

2 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

In which opposed piston engines are described as some miraculous thing that hasn't caught on for some reason.

I'm sure British and Soviet ex-tankers of a certain vintage can say otherwise.

Are these engines inherently balanced?

1 hour ago, Xoon said:

Are these engines inherently balanced?

These ones look pretty balanced, but not all opposed piston engines are balanced.  

3 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

In which opposed piston engines are described as some miraculous thing that hasn't caught on for some reason.

Indeed.  They hit all the talking points on why this design is advantageous; more power strokes per given RPM, no cylinder head, no valvetrain, so very high specific power and very high efficiency.  But they don't explain why we should believe that it will work this time when it's been such a pile of crap previously.

I pulled this thing out of my car today;

image.jpg?width=402&height=535

Power steering started to feel a bit weak on the way to work, so I decided to head home early to spend some time looking at it (and get the car to a shop if it turned out something was horribly broken). Driving home on 890, power steering goes to shit, voltage light comes on intermittently, and AC stops blowing cold air.

Got home, opened up the hood, and that was wrapped around the pulleys. Not even 15,000 miles old. Shop that put it on probably fucked up installation. This time I had a spare one at home, so I just changed it myself.

Meanwhile, my friend with the Audi is in the dealer's courtesy car yet again, as his turbo died.

21 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

These ones look pretty balanced, but not all opposed piston engines are balanced.  

So in theory, the crank shafts would be lighter, not needing the counter weights I guess. 

21 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Indeed.  They hit all the talking points on why this design is advantageous; more power strokes per given RPM, no cylinder head, no valvetrain, so very high specific power and very high efficiency.  But they don't explain why we should believe that it will work this time when it's been such a pile of crap previously.

From what I gathered, they basically had the luxury of computer modeling, found out that by turning the entire engine a little to the side, it saves height and a better air flow. 

BMW-315/1

8149133_original.jpg

The sport car BMW-315/1 was created on the basis of a small car BMW-315. The car was equipped with boosted up to 40 hp. engine (in the base model the engine power was 34 hp). The presentation of the car took place in 1934. In the same year the BMW-315/1 took part in a car race in Nice, where the BMW team took the first place. Such advertising contributed to the launch of the roadster in the serial production, which continued until the middle of 1935. In total, about 230 cars were assembled.

Spoiler

8149357_original.jpg

8149721_original.jpg

8150087_original.jpg

8150416_original.jpg

8150613_original.jpg

https://477768.livejournal.com/5709788.html

On 7/23/2018 at 2:37 PM, Krieger22 said:

I guess they don't realize the Germans tried this type of engine layout with the Jumo in 1932?

Edit:  Opps, i guess I should have watched the video before commenting.  They mention the various previous attempts at opposed piston designs in the first minute.

Last weekend I was at a Gas and Steam show and saw this little half-track tracker.  It's a Ferguson TO-20.  This was the export version of the very successful Ferguson TE-20 tractor, one of the best light utility tractors of the era.  As far as halftrack systems go, this one is pretty simple, to say the least.

20180720_152854.jpg?w=680

American Agricultural Tractor McCormick-Deering O-6

9207249_original.jpg

37HP agricultural tractor McCormick-Deering O-6 was produced by the machine-building company International Harvester in 1940-1953. Tractors were produced in Rock Island, Illinois. A total of 45,500 tractors were made.

Spoiler

9207523_original.jpg

9207710_original.jpg

9207924_original.jpg

9208301_original.jpg

Holden Hurricane concept car from Australians.

8784440_original.jpg

The prototype of the two-seater sports car Hurricane was created in the second half of the 60's by Australian automobile company General Motors Holden. The car was equipped with the engine Holden V8, 4.2 liters and a power of 260 hp. Also, the car had an automatic air conditioning system, a wide-angle television camera with an image on the screen in the front panel instead of rear-view mirrors, digital instrument displays. The presentation of the car took place in 1969. After the show at a number of automobile exhibitions in the early 70's car was stored in the Holden testing center. Currently, the car is restored and demonstrated at automobile exhibitions

Spoiler

8784687_original.jpg

8786019_original.jpg

8786376_original.jpg

8786557_original.jpg

8786936_original.jpg

8787183_original.jpg

8787260_original.jpg

8784898_original.jpg

https://477768.livejournal.com/5735313.html

French Navy was launching cars off ships way before @BBC_TopGear made it cool 😎🌊
The craziest car commercial of the 1980s involved launching an ugly Citroen Visa GTI off the aircraft carrier Clemenceau and strapping it to a Agosta-class submarine.
👉

Nippon sport car - Yamaha OX99-11.

9548180_original.jpg

Yamaha OX99-11 was built in 1992 by the Japanese engineering company Yamaha Motor Company and the British firm International Automotive Design. OX99-11 was a two-seat, with a tandem seat arrangement, had a body made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic, equipped with a 3.5-liter engine with a V-12 engine rated at 400 hp and a 6-speed manual transmission. In 1992, 3 prototypes of OX99-11 were built. Serial production of cars was planned to be launched in 1994, but in view of the high cost of the car (in 800 000 USD) production plans were abandoned

Spoiler

9548340_original.jpg

9548751_original.jpg

9548941_original.jpg

9549280_original.jpg

On 8/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, LoooSeR said:

Heavy Platforma-O (gif stolen from GRU from otvaga forum, i am too lazy to watch all videos from Army 2018).

F3mGp.gif

Reveal hidden contents

5OeiYAyYjdo.jpg

8Yf9jRkm6Ug.jpg

And they want to buy those things soon (like in august-september)