Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General cars and vehicles thread.

LoooSeR

7 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Already charged it. Pressure dropped over time, hence I believe it has a leak in the system. 

I would have to find that leak before I could address anything else. 

Back in the day, you used to be able to convert the AC Compressor into a pretty damn good Air Compressor, hide 10-gallon tank somewhere and you can run air tools... I don't know if the more modern AC compressors can do this though.  

6 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Back in the day, you used to be able to convert the AC Compressor into a pretty damn good Air Compressor, hide 10-gallon tank somewhere and you can run air tools... I don't know if the more modern AC compressors can do this though.  

Those were the York, and some Tecumseh, single/twin piston units.   They were basically air compressor designs that were being used for R-12.

If it has a divorced lube system for the crankcase, you can (sometimes) get away with it.

Barrel style or pancake style compressors will just shit out metal shavings and/or bits of carbon though.

Soviet experimental all terrain vehicle GAZ-62B

10833783_original.jpg

The all-terrain vehicle GAZ-62B was created by the designers of the Gorky Automobile Plant in 1955-1956 as part of the search for a four-axle all-wheel drive vehicle (later known as the BTR-60P). The all-terrain vehicle was originally developed as a test bench for testing the new drive system. When creating the GAZ-62B all-terrain vehicle, a number of units were borrowed from the GAZ-62 truck, but the engine from the GAZ-12, 90 hp, a hermertical brakes and a system for regulating air pressure in low-pressure tires, was installed. ATV could reach speeds of up to 80 km/h. In August 1956, assessment tests were carried out that the car could not stand: turned out it was too heavy for 90 hp, and as a result it was not very manoeuvrable and had insufficient cross-country ability.
   In 1957, the shipyard Krasnoye Sormovo (Gorky), on the basis of GAZ-62B, created a model of an all-metal floating ATV with a water cannon. This amphibian received the designation GAZ-62P / f.5-6/. In the 1957, both versions of the four-axle vehicle were sent for testing at the Scientific Vehicle Test Site in Bronnitsy. During the tests at the site were confirmed conclusions obtained during the evaluation tests

10833961_original.jpg

Spoiler

10834413_original.jpg

10834590_original.jpg

10834697_original.jpg

10835178_original.jpg

Saab EV-1 (Experimental Vehicle One) concept car

10999331_original.jpg

This concept of a 4-seater sports coupe was created by the designers of the Swedish engineering company Saab in 1985. The EV-1 was created on the chassis of a Saab 900 Turbo 16v sports car and received original steel body, and a glass roof. The car was equipped with a upgraded Saab 900 Turbo 16 Sengine  with a 280 hp and could reach speeds of up to 270 km/h. Just a single EV-1 was made. In the same year it was used on the set of the film “Back to the Future II”

Spoiler

10999683_original.jpg

10999897_original.jpg

11000274_original.jpg

11000366_original.jpg

11000775_original.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Moskvich-2141 KR - Soviet racing car.

11419817_original.jpg

Moskvich-2141 KR was developed in 1988 by the Moscow Lenin Komsomol Automobile Plant. The car was designed to participate in rally races of category B. Moskvich-2141 KR was created using components from the serial produced Moskvich-2141, however, it had an original body made of fiberglass panels, a 175 hp modified UAMZ-412 engine, and a modified design suspension. A single car was build and the theme did not receive further development.

Spoiler

11419932_original.jpg

11420270_original.jpg

11420501_original.jpg

11420720_original.jpg

11421121_original.jpg

11421319_original.jpg

The US taxpayer being shafted for $11 billion was TOTALLY worth it for this

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25221/2019-chevrolet-silverado-breaks-down-in-the-middle-of-detroit-red-wings-marketing-stunt?fbclid=IwAR2AARBLONAAP38AfurCt2OaAAOpDTYegdJ-XPkMXK-DhDKpuXIcZJTc1O4

Chevrolet spokesperson clarified that the Silverado did not actually "break down" per se. According to the company rep, the Silverado's driver had to turn off the engine while the truck was stationary at the blue line—understandable, since running a hot, internally combusted V-8 in one place, over ice for too long probably isn't ideal. When the truck was restarted, the driver then accidentally accepted a software update, rendering it immobile for the next several minutes. Once the update was done, the Silverado drove off the ice problem-free.

Just a note for those who deal with them.

Look out for new 5000 pound torsion bar Dexter axles, being shipped 2017/2018 with no grease in the bearings.

At most, they had the shipping oil used to keep the bearing/race from rusting in storage.

This is the third towable lift in a few months I've dealt with, that had absolutely fried bearings, with zero signs of lube in them. The last one, had a whopping 15 hours of operation on the clock before the bearing shit the bed.

1 hour ago, Donward said:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25221/2019-chevrolet-silverado-breaks-down-in-the-middle-of-detroit-red-wings-marketing-stunt?fbclid=IwAR2AARBLONAAP38AfurCt2OaAAOpDTYegdJ-XPkMXK-DhDKpuXIcZJTc1O4

Chevrolet spokesperson clarified that the Silverado did not actually "break down" per se. According to the company rep, the Silverado's driver had to turn off the engine while the truck was stationary at the blue line—understandable, since running a hot, internally combusted V-8 in one place, over ice for too long probably isn't ideal. When the truck was restarted, the driver then accidentally accepted a software update, rendering it immobile for the next several minutes. Once the update was done, the Silverado drove off the ice problem-free.

Why was it even connected to anything during an event?

1 hour ago, Donward said:

A relative who worked for Ford as a "contractor" mentioned that there was scuttlebutt about "looking into no longer "selling" a vehicle", instead you buy a "seat", allowing you to operate it for a length of time, similar to a lease, but the vehicle is constantly on the net.

He asked what I thought about it. I said " I'd be looking hard at finding a Dodge WC series truck, and converting it to 12 volts".

3 hours ago, Meplat said:

A relative who worked for Ford as a "contractor" mentioned that there was scuttlebutt about "looking into no longer "selling" a vehicle", instead you buy a "seat", allowing you to operate it for a length of time, similar to a lease, but the vehicle is constantly on the net.

He asked what I thought about it. I said " I'd be looking hard at finding a Dodge WC series truck, and converting it to 12 volts".

John Deer said that a few years ago. Lemme find the article. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbloomberg/2017/04/30/john-deeres-digital-transformation-runs-afoul-of-right-to-repair-movement/#13330dcd5ab9

John Deere's Digital Transformation Runs Afoul Of Right-To-Repair Movement

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

WE CAN'T LET JOHN DEERE DESTROY THE VERY IDEA OF OWNERSHIP

Yeah, we run into that issue with Deere and their proprietary software and whatnot.

On the otherhand, there are a shit ton of farmers trying to work on and “fix” equipment where you have to be a trained mechanic to even look at the shit. Two of our guys completely destroyed - like ten or twenty grand worth of repairs - a brand new wheeled tractor after swapping out the rear tires incorrectly. They were both Boomers and our two “Millennial” employees who kind of knew what they were doing because they actually looked at the manual about the correct procedure tried to talk them out of it but ran into the “we’ve been doing this for years” and decided to let the old farts do it.

Also, John Deere sucks.

4 hours ago, Meplat said:

And then one day there’ll be an earthquake or a forest fire like what happened today in Anchorage or couple weeks ago in Cali which knocks out cell coverage and your brand new computer on wheels won’t start because it doesn’t have a signal. 

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

First mistake?

"Prius" . Only a WW2 era armored vehicle has less rear visibility.

The second is not backing up when the silly bitch had obviously donned her hakimachi and thousand stitch belt.

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Hey, look what i spotted today - Lincoln Continental Mark V

mtctP7i.jpg

Hide contents

8aaP2SQ.jpg

Amazingly clean, the plastic bits that "hide" the 5MPH bumper shock absorbers are not even rotted.