Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Martian

Sturgeon

Going to see this tomorrow. I read the book, and thought "this should be a movie". When the trailer was released, I stifled my excitement because I thought it would suck, but now the RT score has been released (overwhelmingly positive) and we're totally going to see it.

Mini review when I get back.

The Martian: Ridley Scott is given a great script he can't fuck up, so that he can focus on making good, fun practical scenes, which is what he does best. Matt Damon gives a better performance than I've seen from him in a long time. The first 30-45 minutes made me really worried it would suck, but I fell in love with it after that. Thanks to Weir's hand, the movie follows the rules of hard sci-fi pretty closely. I think The Martian is the best space movie I've seen since Apollo 13, and it satisfies a bunch of things I've been waiting for in a movie for years.

Alright. I enjoyed The Martian very much. I did not nor do I really intend to read the book although I'm assured by my buddy that the movie and much of the dialog is fairly faithful. We watched it in 2D simply because I despise 3D movies with a passion that is more cold and bitter than a Martian sand storm. Most of the action and special effects were plausible and the CGI wasn't annoying. The Martian landscapes were good but it wasn't a Lord of the Rings tourism marathon where an extra 45 minutes of scenery is thrown in just for laughs. Speaking of which, having Sean Bean in the scene with the Council of Elrond reference was high hilarity on so many different levels. And was very plausible for science nerds working for NASA.

The actions of the characters and how they reacted to the situations presented to them was fairly realistic and most of the movie kept things fairly plausible. The sci-fi jargon exposition seemed legit as well if toned down so the audience can understand, which is the whole point. There are a lot of funny one-liners in the film which was honestly the least realistic aspect of the movie. Now I've been in life-and-death situations where the one-liners come out and you use comedy and gallows humor to buck up your morale. But having witnessed enough NASA footage, the humor is a little more professional and dry than the non-stop yukking it up in The Martian. This isn't a bad thing and it keeps the movie entertaining but it was the least realistic part of the film.

And the part where Sean Bean died fighting off the Martian moisture pirates so that the crew could live was touching...

Yeah. And the character of the PR person is portrayed as unlikable, not very intelligent and clearly in waters over her head but is in a position of authority and responsibility despite being woefully unqualified. However, since she is a woman, you are not allowed to criticize her.

Basically any real life office experience.

I have come up with the next hot new test for wannabe Tumblr movie reviewers. Want to know whether a movie fits into your radical social leftist agenda? It's easy!

All you have to do is watch the movie. Now, if there wasn't a scene with at least two transsexuals (at least one has to be post-op) having a conversation about their genitalia, and none of them were black, and there were more than two penises and/or two vaginas present, and if at least one of the actors wasn't Malaysian, then it fails the test and isn't progressive enough for you!

I'm calling it the "Wilderson test" in honor of a friend of mine.

Malaysian airliner.

(I can make this joke because I am Malaysian)

Now all we have to do is produce a movie featuring SuperComrade in a scene with at least two transsexuals (at least one has to be post-op) having a conversation about their genitalia, and none of them were black, and there were more than two penises and/or two vaginas present.

I'll get started on the script if you want to call your people and Mr. Wilderson, Sturgeon.

Just saw it tonight; good plot, well filmed, good special effects, great acting, a surprising amount of humor, and a little bit of science.

Besides the typical...issues (crew radiation, they didn't need the Chinese booster, and the way too strong dust storm), it was a great movie. I'm heavily biased here, so take this as an opinion and nothing more; Interstellar was a bit better, Gravity was horrible on its' own, and is (even) worse now.

Knew someone was going to ask.

It's hard to explain, I just really like Interstellar. Hans produced a great OST, the visuals were generally amazing, good acting outside of a few people, and accurate science (minus the last 20 minutes, some of which was still plausible).

If you didn't see it in theater then you are missing out. A few people I know that saw it in Imax were blown away.

Also, the problems in Interstellar were kind of offset by the problems in The Martian.

Knew someone was going to ask.

It's hard to explain, I just really like Interstellar. Hans produced a great OST, the visuals were generally amazing, good acting outside of a few people, and accurate science (minus the last 20 minutes, some of which was still plausible).

If you didn't see it in theater then you are missing out. A few people I know that saw it in Imax were blown away.

Also, the problems in Interstellar were kind of offset by the problems in The Martian.

I saw it in IMAX and it was terrible. I do not know how you can say the science was accurate, it was certainly not.

I cared about none of the characters, and the plot was retarded. I had high hopes for the movie, but beyond neat visuals and some cool scenes that would have been excellent with better context (docking scene), it was worthless.

Well, I did say "but the end". The protrayal of the black hole and worm hole was spot on, as was relativity.

Even the whole "enough speed will take you through the black home" thing is regarded as a possibly in one model of the black hole.

The tesseract is...well...but it is science *fiction* after all.

And, in what ways was the Martian any better? :P