Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Toyota Hilux Appreciation Thread

Donward

ISIS, how you get so many Toyota Hilux pickups?

U.S. Treasury inquires about ISIS use of Toyota vehicles

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

Toyota Hilux pickups, an overseas model similar to the Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota Land Cruisers have become fixtures in videos of the ISIS campaign in Iraq, Syria and Libya, with their truck beds loaded with heavy weapons and cabs jammed with terrorists. The Iraqi Ambassador to the United States, Lukman Faily, told ABC News that in addition to re-purposing older trucks, his government believes ISIS has acquired “hundreds” of “brand new” Toyotas in recent years.

“This is a question we’ve been asking our neighbors,” Faily said. “How could these brand new trucks... these four wheel drives, hundreds of them -- where are they coming from?”

toyota-hilux-for-is-2-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a 1981 Toyota 4X4 W/22R gas mill for well over a decade. That was the mileage when I sold it. I bought it used from an oilfield geologist.

Why did I sell it?

Speed limits had been raised, and while superb offroad, it had a V/max of maybe 70 MPH. Plus the seat was plumb worn out.

I rebuilt the engine twice, and the trans once.  The second rebuild resulted in the removal of all emissions controls, a bit of B&B and P&P, and the mill running a whole hell of a lot better.

She was a good truck, and the guy I sold her to was very happy to get her with all the work I'd done.

Paid 1200 in 1992.

Sold for 1200 in 2005.

Adios, pequeno burro.

I had a 1981 Toyota 4X4 W/22R gas mill for well over a decade. That was the mileage when I sold it. I bought it used from an oilfield geologist.

Why did I sell it?

Speed limits had been raised, and while superb offroad, it had a V/max of maybe 70 MPH. Plus the seat was plumb worn out.

I rebuilt the engine twice, and the trans once.  The second rebuild resulted in the removal of all emissions controls, a bit of B&B and P&P, and the mill running a whole hell of a lot better.

She was a good truck, and the guy I sold her to was very happy to get her with all the work I'd done.

Paid 1200 in 1992.

Sold for 1200 in 2005.

Adios, pequeno burro.

This is why Meplat is the King of Grease.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just adding..

Had a 1981 Toyota 4X4. 22R engine.

1,757,656 miles.

Sold it because the goddamn seat wore out, and it would do 70 MPH only with JATO.  Superb truck, otherwise.

Just adding..

Had a 1981 Toyota 4X4. 22R engine.

1,757,656 miles.

Sold it because the goddamn seat wore out, and it would do 70 MPH only with JATO.  Superb truck, otherwise.

Did you actually try this per chance?

Did you actually try this per chance?

Probably would have been cheaper.

I ported and polished the head, B&B'd  the block, mounted a fat Weber dual bore and fitted a Vertex mag.

The pig would fucking rocket to ~65 MPH then freeze.  It was fucking silly.   Like "INTO TEH FUTUR" whoosh, then BAM