Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

M8 Buford Is Back

Sturgeon

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

A larger version of the two images in BAE's tweets, I am not sure what the object between the gunners sight and commanders cupola is.

Reveal hidden contents

qOYEFrt.jpgkBSqsTd.jpgYRxsQKq.jpg

Given that it has a ring of circular apertures above the main optic, I suspect it's some sort of flash/laser beam detector. Maybe a soft-kill APS component to complement the hard-kill Iron Fist?

It's either that or an anti-sniper system (though the latter, like the Raytheon Boomerang, would rely more on microphones, rather than optical sensors, for source triangulation).

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Correct, there is storage for 24 rounds in the hull in addition to the 21 rounds held by the autoloader. In an Afghanistan scenario the hull racks would likely be left empty.

OK, so ammon sometimes in the hull proper but even the autoloader ammo is essentially in the hull/turret crewed space?  If so, this is a serious reversion to past bad ideas.

2 minutes ago, DIADES said:

OK, so ammon sometimes in the hull proper but even the autoloader ammo is essentially in the hull/turret crewed space?  If so, this is a serious reversion to past bad ideas.

There’s a bulkhead between the commander & gunner and the main armament/ammunition intended to prevent ammunition cookoff from injuring the crew. The same bulkhead necessitated to relocation of the co-ax to the gunner’s right. 

The integrity of the bulkhead is compromised in the event that the autoader fails and the gun is run in reversionary mode. I believe the hull ammunition stowage is compartmentalised as well, as the only access to it is via the doors on the glacis. This slows down reloading, clearly. 

16 minutes ago, DIADES said:

The primary ammunition (ready ammo) is all stored in the turret behind a bulkhead with blowout panels.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My wish list for the M8 refresh included hydro pneumatic suspension/HSU, band track (thanks Soucy), internal belly armour (where the torsion bars used to be, were the HSU realised), hybrid electric drive, 120mm gun (as per Thunderbolt prototype), and CITV. 

Ah well.