Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

I'm on the fence about Doom. I'm longing for the nostalgia of the first few of them but I'm not sure it's going to feel the same. As for DoW 3, I'm not particularly thrilled with the base building stuff but I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

I played the hell out of DoW 1 and it's expansions and mods.  Was a member of several mod teams back in the day.  I liked the base building aspects.  The lack of base building in DoW 2 was one of the big things I didn't like about it.  I played through the singleplayer and never really got into the skirmish aspects of the game.

DooM gameplay looks pretty solid - fast, brutal, skill-based shooter. I hope that it would not feel like a generic shooter game. It would have been better if number of monsters were higher. 30 monsters on screen max sounds like DooM 1 with it's 32 (IIRC) creatures on screen max engine limitation.

DooM gameplay looks pretty solid - fast, brutal, skill-based shooter. I hope that it would not feel like a generic shooter game. It would have been better if number of monsters were higher. 30 monsters on screen max sounds like DooM 1 with it's 32 (IIRC) creatures on screen max engine limitation.

I've done this bit a few times, but I would argue that Doom 3 is more like Doom 1 than any game out there. One thing people forget is that the original Doom game didn't have mouselook, and you could only use tank controls. We also didn't know where all of the secrets and health/ammo pickups were, so lots of people who actually remember their earliest playthroughs agree that it played more like a survival horror game, what with its aesthetic and resource management. While Ultra-Violence is considered the default difficulty these days, the game was damned near impossible above hurt me plenty for a lot of folks. Even on UV, the monster count was relatively low, and it wasn't until Doom 2 that they really started to push the games as "big open areas with shitloads of enemies."

It just kind of bugs me that everyone forgets about that. I keep hearing people getting ultra-mad that the game isn't like real Doom in that it doesn't have assloads of monsters or rocket jumping (yes, I've heard this a lot). I've also heard developers saying stuff like "jumping, mobility, and high flying action are what Doom's all about!" so it's kinda weird.

I played the hell out of DoW 1 and it's expansions and mods.  Was a member of several mod teams back in the day.  I liked the base building aspects.  The lack of base building in DoW 2 was one of the big things I didn't like about it.  I played through the singleplayer and never really got into the skirmish aspects of the game.

That's fair. I'm not big on base-building strategy games and I played it after DoW 2, so it definitely wasn't my thing.