Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

Well, I got Elite Dangerous. Looking forward to SPACE once my internet comes back up.

Edit: WE ARE GO (once steam updates)

My thoughts so far:

1) It's not nearly as fast paced at Dark Souls PvP, so it's a good contrast. 

2) I do solo play because I don't want to deal with dicks. 

3) Being a space-trucker is fun. 

4) I need bigger laser guns.

5) Mining is complicated as fuuuuu

I'm enjoying it, though it of course doesn't feel like WWI since everyone but the sniper class is running around with SMGs and semi-auto rifles. Very much enjoying blasting stuff with those field guns littered all over the place. Seems they upped the tickrate to 60 hz from BF4's 30 hz, which makes hitting stuff at long range much more consistent. Graphics are beautiful too.

They also finally added opening doors instead of smashing them down and animations for getting in and out of vehicles, which is nice.

Is it good or is it just Battlefield?

Yes to both I guess?

They did some things I like with the game:

-Guns are no longer pinpoint accurate to the sights. They were in BF4 and it was a mess. People could nail you full-auto from hundred meters away with an SMG and it created mass dead zones in the giant maps. It also created a gameplay meta really similar to Call of Duty, but more on that later. Now, semi-autos and SMGs disperse from center the more/faster you fire while LMGs get more accurate the longer you hold down the trigger. It results in being able to use more of the map than before because of more misses.

-Every little escaping carbon vapor on your character doesn't mark you on the mini-map. People will only show up on the mini-map if they're manually spotted or spotted by a sniper's flare gun. This was the other thing that turned BF3 and especially BF4 into a CoD-like, where people were staring at their mini-map 90% of the time and shooting around corners because they knew where everyone was. I was wondering why I hated 4 so much and a friend of mine who loves watching BF streamers linked me to some of their videos and they were just sprinting and bunny hopping and it looked CoD as hell and I didn't pick the game back up. Now, you and your team have to use actual effort and eyeballs to spot enemies.

-Vehicles are more self-contained. There's no longer a class that has a repair tool that you can just pick. You can spawn on tanks, horses or planes from the spawn menu only (cars just spawn at points around the map and you jump into one after spawning. You can also get into any abandoned tank/plane/horse), and when you do so, you spawn as a "pilot" class that gives you a C96 carbine (assuming more options in full release), a repair tool, and some AT grenades. This results in less people vehicle wasting by using a plane as a personal taxi to go get infantry kills since the Carbine is kind of poopy. The pilot of a vehicle can also fix their vehicle by holding X to repair chunks of about 20 HP at a time. You can only look around at this time, and any damage at all interrupts this and you have to restart the process. Some people don't like it, but I prefer it to the old way of praying that there's an engineer nearby and that he spawned with a repair tool, or risking jumping out of your vehicle to do it yourself and some fucking dillhole jumps into it and runs off.

-A few other vehicle things. For one, you have a sort of "ready rack" feature for tanks. For cannons, you can hold about 5-7 rounds before you reach zero and have to start reloading to get another shot (loading to your "rack" takes more time than if you just had a fresh round waiting). Other thing is that it doesn't look like they're doing that stupid thing like in 4 where you could customize each chunk of the vehicle and locking you out of really useful stuff. There's pre-determined loadouts to do different things, now.

-Melee is good and useful. The times I've played as a scout (sniper) class, I've been able to help my team in close quarters by using melee or bayonet charges.

-Some people hate that the new Conquest scoring system doesn't take kills into account, but I like it. Too many matches were lost because teams I was on that played the objectives lost to campers  (most notably in 3 and 4)

-The armored train is neat. In case anyone didn't know there are certain factors that determine that once a round, each team will get a "behemoth," essentially something like a zeppelin or armored train that has lots of little killing stations on it. These vehicles are destructible and usually issued to a team that's not doing well. The train can park at three different cap zones to capture them while dealing out crazy damage, but that still leaves something like 4 other cap zones that the enemy team can still cap without trouble, so it's not an "easy win" button, but more of a "chance to play catch-up" button.

Some bad things:

-I wlll breathe a sweet sigh of fucking relief when multiplayer gaming is rid of locking essential weapons and items behind progression. Tanks are unbalanced as hell right now because the only long-range personal AT weapon is locked behind a progression system (that is bugged in the beta so it takes forever to get), and the other is a special pickup that's way out in the desert. It's one thing to say "Well that's the skinner box" (it actually isn't), but it's another to have a hamster demand to be given the Skinner Box over any other option at all.

-They put a 20 minute timer on all rounds, so there are no comebacks or any idea of how long Conquest rounds will last.

-Rush game mode is really dull because it's down to 12 v 12 and they give each side tanks, so you can have both of the entire teams sitting in tanks not doing anything. 

-When DICE says "beta" they give you a fucking beta. It's bugged to hell and my early purchase is really hinging on seeing how many of these they fix.

-This can be a pro or can, but tanks are really hard to kill, and it's exacerbated by the AT weapon progression thing. It's hard to get an idea of the balance when an essential balancing tool is almost non-existent in the game right now.

-The map's kind of boring. It's not bad, but the alpha got this really cool-looking French countryside map and we got a desert map.

Ran into more DS3 hackers tonight. The scrubs. When I do 5x their health pool in damage before they end up killing me with a 1-shot weapon, I don't consider it a loss. I won that one, mother fucker. 

Also, this.

In Ennuigi you play a depressed, chain-smoking Luigi who's lost all hope

http://www.pcgamer.com/ennuigi-mario-flash-game/