Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General PC games master race thread. Everything about games. EVERYTHING.

LoooSeR

Zuck with his latest antic (Libra), molds the present and future to something even more cryptic, without even considering the stuff from the video.

Posted here because, oh man this game will be targeted, hope it will be doing OK though.

One time a CD Projekt Red developer came to a game conference and explained the strange way blood spreads after dismemberment in Witcher 3, it was so just because of optimization, hope Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't "optimize" this kind of small details.It really bothered me while playing that, good that he explained that at least, not so upset about it now.

Anyone played Battle Academy 2? It's on sale and seems pretty good, but I've played Slitherine's earlier offerings and they were WAY too dense for me. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/306640/Battle_Academy_2_Eastern_Front/

Also Steel Division 2 is steeply discounted, can anyone recommend that?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/572410/Steel_Division_Normandy_44/

3 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Also Steel Division 2 is steeply discounted, can anyone recommend that?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/572410/Steel_Division_Normandy_44/

The price seems right with that discount and I would recommend it. I wouldn't say it's worth it at full price anymore, especially with the player base having diminished greatly since release two(?) years ago. Who knows though, it might jump a good bit for a time with the sale.

Have you played any of the Wargame series? If so, it's similar enough to that. If not, Red Dragon is on sale too for $7.49.  It's cheaper and has a much more active player base from what I recall. There's a bit more single player content in the base game compared to Steel Division (more single player missions in Back to Hell DLC though), however the Red Dragon AI isn't very fun to play against.

On a related note, I assume The Witcher III being on say for $12 makes it much more of a "Get now" for someone that has never played it, yes?

The single player in Red Dragon takes the form of a few campaigns (4?) on different grand maps.  There's a narrative of events going on and you are given different army groups (ranging in size from a flight of fighters to a tank company) that you can move around the map.  Objectives and available units will update occasionally.  The actual battles though are skirmishes that generally involve the AI spamming one type of unit at a time down a single road at you on the battle map.  This was the one big reason I never played much of it. I believe the campaigns do take a bit of time to actually complete.  

IDkwPAL.png?1

In Steel Division Normandy 44, the campaigns are just a series of four missions for divisions of three factions (US 101st airborne, German 21st Panzer, and British 15th Scots). These missions are basically secure or hold this objective, with some scripted events in place. Unit attrition through the campaign is a thing, so you don't want to waste stuff.  In the Back to Hell DLC, they add like six 'historical' battles with unique battlegroups, and you can choose to play either side and division.  All these again are take/hold this objective, but there are no scripted events.

SteelDivision_20170424_152112-1024x581.p

Between the two, I would personally pick Steel Division over Red Dragon for the single player content. This is mainly due to the AI, as the RD one is spammy while the SD44 one will actually spread out a bit more on the map and use more of a variety of units.  SD44 also has one more game mode to play in skrimish mode against the AI (Attack/Defense mode, on top of Destruction deathmatch and Conquest territorial control for both games), so that's another point in my mind for it.  RD does have all of its campaigns and more factions available without purchasing DLC though.  The deck system in it also has a greater degree of freedom for army building, so you can make more specific or silly battles if you like.  Whether you want to play in the Cold War or World War 2 is also something to consider.

I haven't paid too much attention to Steel Division 2, which takes place on during Operation Bagration and places a lot more emphasis on the grand campaign, but it seems to be getting a somewhat lukewarm reception.  Unfortunate to see, but not really surprising knowing Eugen's track record.  People just want them to make another Wargame.

I'll probably pick up the Witcher 3 while it's discounted, but I don't know if I'll get around to playing it at all for a little bit.  I'll assume that if my PC can run Dark Souls 3 and Doom alright, it will be fine with the Witcher too.

Yeah, the AI in Wargame series was annoying, after playing EndWar it is downright idiotic and lazily-made. It is unfair (can spawn units with total cost in points above total points that player have to call in his units), cheats and have no tactical capabilities to speak about. I never finished Wargame EE singleplayer and never wanted to touch any other game in the series, as i had no interest in multiplayer (don't like to be forced to click like a maniac and micromanage lots of units).