Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Saudi Arabia is a Backwards, Laughable Shithole Thread

Collimatrix

Just now, Collimatrix said:

You have a pretty pessimistic view of the diversity of human culture if you think that awfulness tends to converge, rather than producing manifold local variations on the theme of awfulness.

What if large swathes of the future are like North Korea or Eritrea or Equatorial Guinea instead?  I don't think we're headed for a drab, uniform future that sucks.  I'm optimistic that we're headed for a future that will feature many different kinds of suck.

I was actually getting around to adressing that already :).

I think there will be a lot of uniformity in how things suck, because the new nobles will all be internationally mobile. The future for the upper crust will look a lot like the present: children in international schools, March-May in Tokyo, vacations at private islands and the rest of the time spent in walled compounds figuring out how to siphon resources from the plebs most efficiently.

The guys running the show will more-or-less live alike, think alike and govern alike in so far as awfulness is concerned. Your utopian dreams of colourful and vibrant forms of oppression and excess will not come to pass.

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not going to happen.....These Elites are a bunch of inbred incompetents, incapable of tying their own shoelaces without assistance from a more capable member of the species.

We guard you while you sleep (and we also run your servers).

So why do they get everything while you get to work double shifts until your work permit expires and they boot you out of the country?

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The future is bright red comrades! 

I have this idea that, due to the nature of how technological change works (contra to the singularitarians, it's a sigmoid function), you could end up in a stage where fully centralised economies are viable again.

Unforunately the asymptote for present technologies (specifically biotech) is probably well over the weird event horizon where history and human nature don't hold anymore.

So, you know, not useful if you're planning to revive the USSR.

Have you read Iain M Banks sci-fi at all?  I'm a bit of a fan.  ;) 

Not that I was in a much better position myself. I may have wanted the exact opposite of Dervley Linter, but I very much doubted I was going to get my way, either. I didn’t want to leave, I didn’t want to keep them safe from us and let them devour themselves; I wanted maximum interference…I wanted to see the junta generals fill their pants when they realized that the future is––in Earth terms––bright, bright red.

Iain M Banks - State Of The Art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More gems from the febrile mind of Prince Mohamed Bin Salman:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/world/middleeast/saudi-arabias-grand-plan-to-move-beyond-oil-big-goals-bigger-hurdles.html

26saudi3-superJumbo.jpg

"The crown prince announced plans to create a new city on the Red Sea coast, largely staffed by robots."

What could possibly go wrong?  :D

Terminator-844181.jpg