Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Saudi Arabia is a Backwards, Laughable Shithole Thread

Collimatrix

Reportedly they've cut diplomatic ties

Yep. Made CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/saudi-arabia-iran-relations-1.3387731

"Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told a news conference Iran's diplomatic mission and related entities in Saudi Arabia had been given 48 hours to leave.

He said Riyadh would not allow the Islamic Republic to undermine the Sunni kingdom's security."

I hope the Saudis don't exercise their options on Pakistani nukes anytime soon.  I'm getting the sinking feeling that Saudi Arabia, or at least the House of Saud is getting perilously close to becoming a historical footnote.  The only reason it's a sinking feeling is if that whole area plunges into Chaos, there will be a large push for both the US and Canada to 'do something'.  Which will mean Canadian and American lives at risk for a shithole that isn't worth wasting the life of a single US or Canadian serviceman to protect.

Do Saudi Arabia and Iran just lob missiles at each other or does one actually try to start a land war in Iraq/amphibious invasion across the gulf?

Assuming it goes beyond confrontations and intensified proxy war, I'd say it'll primarily be air focused with sea/commando attacks on shipping terminals since both countries have fairly limited naval assets, The Saudis have newer FFGs and Corvettes to the aging ones Iran has, whereas Iran has more missile boats and 3 Kilo class subs. Neither side has any notable amount of sealift capacity, unless Iran decides it's a Good Idea to send soldiers in rocket-armed bass boats to get shot by the Saudi National Guard while they try to make shore landings.

Assuming it goes beyond confrontations and intensified proxy war, I'd say it'll primarily be air focused with sea/commando attacks on shipping terminals since both countries have fairly limited naval assets, The Saudis have newer FFGs and Corvettes to the aging ones Iran has, whereas Iran has more missile boats and 3 Kilo class subs. Neither side has any notable amount of sealift capacity, unless Iran decides it's a Good Idea to send soldiers in rocket-armed bass boats to get shot by the Saudi National Guard while they try to make shore landings.

Sounds like a good pay per view event.

Which will mean Canadian and American lives at risk for a shithole that isn't worth wasting the life of a single US or Canadian serviceman to protect.

Except for the oil ...

Daniel Yergin, The Prize is a great read ...

====================================

Still RO'd on the house forum. Looks like one or both of those nitwits have skated again.

Edited by Blackhorse_Six

Outside of the Ayatollahs, Iran is actually not nearly as fundamentalist as Saudi Arabia

Years ago, when I was milling-about in a Sears store one afternoon, I encountered a blonde, blue-eyed caucasian woman whose conversation in English with another woman carried a German accent.

When I addressed her auf Deutshce, she replied that she just happened to speak German but was in fact Persian.

She had studied German in Tehran, but before traveling [escaping] to the US, had never been outside the country.

At that time, she told me that the average Iranian held greater favor for Americans than the Iranian government was putting-on.

Every now and then, I catch a glimpse of things in Iran which continue to suggest that, but I won't be getting all kumbaya about it anytime soon.

FIFY

does anyone know anything about the iranian military's maintence?

i always kinda assumed outside of arms deals they are the North korea of the middle east

but ya, F-14s are ridiculously overrated. And the HAWK missile is pretty shit