Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Better quality photos

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3130829.html

The web resource t-digest.ru belonging to the JSC Scientific and production corporation "Uralvagonzavod" placed interesting material about the overhaul\repair of a significant number of T-80B/BV tanks for the Ministry of Defense of Russia at the JSC "61st armored repair plant" in Strelna (Saint- Petersburg) (since 2015 the company is a part of NPK Uralvagonzavod).

It should be noted that this material is about simple overhaul of T-80B/BV tanks, and not about upgrading them to T-80BVM level, which, according to known data, will be carried out by JSC Omsktransmash, which is part of NPK Uralvagonzavod "(Omsk) under a separate contract in 2017.

5314087_original.jpg

5313948_original.jpg

Spoiler

5314419_original.jpg

5314900_original.jpg

5315104_original.jpg

5315569_original.jpg

5314756_original.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No upgrades to T-80Us, correct?  I imagine the 'M' upgrade puts the T-80BVs to about the same level, with newer ERA compensating for older armor scheme.  

I've now noticed the sight for the Kobras missiles is omitted , so no more GL-ATGMs I guess.  I'm not familiar enough with the appearance of the Refleks' sight to know if it is present now. 

@LoooSeR.....Am I correct in my assumption that this:

94I7H.jpg

Is a T-80UE?  If so, could you point me towards any information on the upgrades this tank has received over the T-80U.  What is the device replacing the IR spotlight?

I can find information on the T-80UE-1 which appear to be a downgraded export version, but my searches for information on the T-80UE have been fruitless.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@LoooSeR.....Am I correct in my assumption that this:

94I7H.jpg

Is a T-80UE?  If so, could you point me towards any information on the upgrades this tank has received over the T-80U.  What is the device replacing the IR spotlight?

I can find information on the T-80UE-1 which appear to be a downgraded export version, but my searches for information on the T-80UE have been fruitless.

There's a T-80UA as well, and I too am rather clueless on what makes the both of them such.  This is what Loooser has said before:

On 2/28/2016 at 6:14 AM, LoooSeR said:

Let's call all T-80UEs and UAs as just T-80U, as there isn't much accurate info around that can help to see differences between T-80U and T-80UA/UE. Reason is simple - T-80Us with E and A designations are T-80U after repair/overhauls. They received mainly internal changes like getting better sights and FCS.

Some quick searches had me finding a page saying the T-80UE-1 is a recycled BV hull (with Kontakt-5) combined with a UD turret and a GTD-1250 engine.  Since the above tank doesn't seem to be a UD (pintle mount MG and I don't see the little rangefinder that juts out of the commander cupola's left side), I would tenuously call it an T-80UA.  However, the page I linked has a pic labelled T-80UE-1 with our mystery IR lamp replacement and a T-80UA with Shtora.  Mind you, this could be all wrong here.

7 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

Some quick searches had me finding a page saying the T-80UE-1 is a recycled BV hull (with Kontakt-5) combined with a UD turret and a GTD-1250 engine.

I thought T-80UE-1 was an export version.....I had assumed the T-80UE was a different creature. 

It seems that I've managed to acquire a taste for 1/72 modern vehicles, mostly Soviet/Russian.....TBH I blame you lot!  :P

I forgot that Tankograd was a thing.  Lots and lots of good stuff there on the ins and outs of Soviet armor.

Here is the entry for the T-80.  There isn't anything on T-80UA, but there are somethings in the comment section about the T-80UE and UE-1.  One of note written by the author:

I used that photo because the T-80UE uses the T-80U turret, so it's functionally the same in how the ammo is stored. My email address is in the "Contacts" tab at the top of the page. I'll try to answer as best as I can.

So, I'll go ahead with the UE and UE-1 being two separate vehicles (and UE1 being a typo), with UE being the U turret and UE-1 the UD turret.  Russian tank naming conventions has "-1" indicating an engine upgrade, so I guess the UE does not have the GTD-1250.

Another web post I found

Upgraded T-80UA (object 219AM-1)

When upgrading a tank is installed:
- System 2A46M-4; New Main Gun
- The upgraded fire control system (KVO), 1A45-1;
- Installation of stem bending accounting UUI-2; muzzle reference system on the Main Gun
- Day-night sighting system commander TO1-KO4;
- Night sighting system, gunner's TO1 KO5 (as an option installed thermal sight "Plisa");
- A set of optical-electronic suppression "blind." Shtora jammer and smoke rocket system

The main advantages in comparison with the T-80U:
- Increased the DDS:
- Gunner at 300-600 m
- Commander in the 700-1000 m;
- Reduced training time, the commander of a shot in the 1.8-2 times;
- Increased to 40 deg / sec maximum speed of rotation of the tank, which provides a sighting shooting (instead of 16-24 deg / sec);
- Set-2 UUI provided stability shooting accuracy, regardless of the influence of climatic conditions, causing bending of the trunk and the number of shots fired;
- Reduced, about 2-3 times, the time for maintenance and adjustment of KVO through the use of a portable console.

The stage of working out - adopted in 2005. 

T-80U-E1

When upgrading a tank is installed:
- The fighting compartment of the T-80UD;
- Gas turbine engine GTD-1250 power 1250 hp;
- Air intake device which allows to overcome without preparation fording depth of up to 1.8 m;
- Stand-alone power unit rated at 18 kW; This APU reduces fuel consumption as the main engine can be shut down and the electronics and heating powered by APU instead
- Input Device Amendments OHR 1V216M for 15 types of ballistics;
- Built-in explosive reactive armor on the sides and the VFD;
- Introduced measures to reduce fuel consumption.

Main features - at the T-80U.
The stage of working out - Tank adopted in 2005.

With this and the previous link, I now feel like the above tank in question is not a T-80UA but a T-80UE.

Again, mostly conjecture here.

I'm also confused now as to what a T-80UM looks like.

Cheers fella, I was looking through the Tankograd article last night.

Do we even know what the device replacing the IR searchlight is?  I thought it was an optic of some kind at first, but now I'm not so sure.

It appears Modelcollect (my current favourite kit brand) think this version is the T-80UA:

0000128_russian-t-80ua-main-battle-tank.

10 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers fella, I was looking through the Tankograd article last night.

Do we even know what the device replacing the IR searchlight is?  I thought it was an optic of some kind at first, but now I'm not so sure.

It appears Modelcollect (my current favourite kit brand) think this version is the T-80UA:

T-62 still going strong(ish):

Georgia_Ossetia_War_Russian_Army_001.jpg

I had seen that while browsing, but wasn't sure of it's validity.  It certainly looks very similar to your picture.  There is also a gap between the gun and the turret's left ERA array that is unlike the T-80UE pictures in the links.

Gah.....The T-62's back to haunt me!  :unsure:

PS - Well, whatever version that Modelcollect kit actually represents (their own blurb suggests they think of it as a T-80U(M) despite the T-80UA description on the box, which is never mentioned elsewhere), I now have one.....It will sit nicely with the T-80UK that's already in the stash.