Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

So the first thing I did in Piter was visit the Военно-исторический музей артиллерии, инженерных войск и войск связи.

fl1OkUY.jpg

I was in heaven I tell you! I made friends with one of the old blokes working in the cloak room. Had a halting conversation about my interest in the museum's subject.

I heard that T-80 airfilters were not as effective as others Soviet tanks had, but i can't find much about that. Is there any reason for filters for gas turbines to be less effective than on diesel engines?

Off the top of my head so I may get some details wrong, the total airflow you need for a diesel-powered tank is about the same as for a turbine-powered one.  But in a diesel-powered tank some of the air goes into the engine, and some of the air is cooling air that is forced through the radiator (or past the cylinders in an air-cooled engine).  Air going into the engine itself has to be very clean, but the air going through the radiator or past the cylinders probably does not have to be as clean, because there are no important moving parts it could break.  Gas turbines are cooled from the inside out, so even though the total air flow is about the same it's all going through the engine, so all the air will have to be very clean because all of its is going past the moving parts.  So I cannot think of any reason why a turbine's air filters would not work as well, but I do think that a turbine's air filters would need to work better.

I heard that requirements for quality of air filtering for T-80 were lowered, thats why designers attached that big ass airfiltering/air tube to the turret to "lift" the point where tank engine system suck fresh air, make it futher from the ground and dust. But again, those are pretty much rumors without much futher info. I will ask question in Otvaga forum, maybe they know better.

EDIT: yeah, that was bullshit

That's right! The efficiency of the cyclone air filter of the T-80 is 98% (actually about 97.5%). Effectivness of air filter of the T-72 (T-90) is more than 99% (almost 99.75%)! That is why there is a limit to dust the T-80, which is why they it was not operated in the TurVO (Turkestan SSR) and it is why there is a vibro cleaning system, mounted in T-80 engine and other associated inventions to decrease "dustiness" (like rubber covers on LFP and others). But! air T-80 is much more effective than the other gas turbine air filter M1 Abrams tank, it is only the coefficient of 97%.

Any comment on that?