Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

50 shades of T-80 - "BMPT-80".

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/gurkhan/leningradskaia-bmpt-s-turbinoi-i-57mm-pushkoi-5cb4cf71e2a3ad00b2464dc5

NXCvyGj.jpg

On the basis of the well-known Leningrad tank T-80U, as early as the 80s of the last century, a combat support vehicle with a gun of 45 or even 57 mm caliber could be created.

At least, this impression is created when you get acquainted with the model of this mysterious armored vehicle presented on the screenshots. These images are in my archives for quite a long time.

unVl5qy.jpg

In the low-profile turret there is an automatic gun, judging by the size, it can be up to 57-mm caliber. At the same time, it is known that in those years 45-mm guns were also in development. The installation of the ATGM is very interesting, in the stowed position it is located in the turret, and in the combat position is coming out of it. And there are 2 launchers on this turret. In addition, apparently, the crew is in the hull, and the turret module was unmanned. And this is all in the 80s!

It can be assumed that these developments later formed the basis for a machine of a similar purpose, but on a tank chassis of the “ultimate parameters” “Object 299”. Unfortunately, the development of this promising machine due to lack of funding was discontinued in the early 90s. However, St. Petersburg were not limited to just a model, but more on that later.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a very obscure question.

The T-80U, even before the T-80UD, was a T-80 that Kharkov had stuck their dick into.  The turret on T-80U is recycled from the Object 478, which is what would have become the next-generation T-64 had it been selected for production.

Did LKZ have their own ideas on what a follow-on to the T-80B would be like?

• 1 month later...

Looks like Russia is ready to trash a T-80 at tank biathlon... And with female crew.

While I have nothing against the three women (who never were tankists actually), I feel pity for that poor T-80 which will more than likely to end up as spare part donor for other T-80s after the circus ends. What a waste... Using T-72s is more or less OK, those tanks are worthless anyway, but if this continues, they will end up trashing T-90Ms at the end.

7075336_original.jpg

6 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Looks like Russia is ready to trash a T-80 at tank biathlon... And with female crew.

While I have nothing against the three women (who never were tankists actually), I feel pity for that poor T-80 which will more than likely to end up as spare part donor for other T-80s after the circus ends. What a waste... Using T-72s is more or less OK, those tanks are worthless anyway, but if this continues, they will end up trashing T-90Ms at the end.

It looks like a T-80UE-1, so it kind of is a collection of spare parts to begin with.

12 hours ago, heretic88 said:

7075336_original.jpg

So are they there just as a publicity stunt? Or did they legit train to compete in the competition? Also wouldn't Russia want to put forth its best tanks for this thing? 

2 hours ago, AssaultPlazma said:

So are they there just as a publicity stunt? Or did they legit train to compete in the competition? Also wouldn't Russia want to put forth its best tanks for this thing? 

It's definitely for publicity/entertainment purposes. They've used T-80Us in the past for the event ceremony openings.

Everyone has been using T-72s to compete (first B, then B3,) except China, but their Type 96 seems close enough.  Keeps things a bit more standardized to allow focus on the crews' performance.  I'd say this contrasts a bit to the Strong Europe Tank Challenge were you have a whole variety of different tanks competing.

India did try running T-90s on year, but they all broke down of course and were thus disqualified.

I've posted about this thing before here (can't find where/when), but this is what I interpret to be a T-80UM.  I have not been able to find any info beyond sentence-long notes on wikis and random tank ID webpages that talk about it being a 1992/93 upgrade of the T-80U.  Said upgrades include mounting the Agava(-1M or 2?) thermal sight, the ability to fire the 9M119M Invar GLATGM, and the addition of a new radio.  You can also see that the self-entrenching blade has been moved further up on the lower front plate and what looks to me to be a wind sensor mast has been mounted on the turret roof.  As a note, the Luna IR lamp is deleted as a result of the thermal sight.

I'm wondering if it's just a modernization that never really took off due to the USSR falling apart.  Really don't have any solid idea.

T-80UM

T-80UM

t-80um001.jpg

More pictures from another, relatively more recent event.  The first image seems to be used frequently enough around the web, but not with regards to anything specifically about the T-80UM.

T-80U_Part5_0001_copy.jpg

T-80U_tank,_Engineering_Technologies_201

1432219319_21.jpg

1432219327_13.jpg

Yes, this is Object 291. It was created on the basis of the T-80U, but never received the designation T-80UM.
There is a T-80UA - a modernization of the T-80U with minor changes to the fire control system and sight. With the "Agava-2".
And there are T-80UM-1 and 2 - platforms for testing ADS.

ZOeznc_nPmU.jpg