Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

T-80 Megathread: Astronomical speed and price!

Vasily Krysov

• 1 month later...

https://otvaga2004.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=1829&p=26

Maybe this will be interesting for people outside of Russian defense-themed forums, a taste of one of many battles between Kharkovite mujaheeds and warriors of the Church of Glorious T-80, raging across internet for decades in endless war between opposite piston diesel worshippers and Gas Turbine votarists to find out which one was worse:

Baron Kharkovite:

And it [T-80] also showed the highest unreliability among all Soviet tanks, the T-64 was criticized for this, and they turned a blind eye on the T-80 -

Warrior of the Church of Glorious T-80:

The picture is not visible, but I suspect that we are talking about 75-82 years, just at the formation of 219 as a machine. I don't know, it was obvious to me that the 64 tank, as a fundamentally new object, cannot be without flaws at the start of production and saturation of the troops, the criticism should be justified, and not on the basis of genus, as is now accepted. The same situation was with 219 and 688...

to Baron Kharkovite by another forum member:

Does it not bother you that in the picture - the 1970s, when the T-64 and T-80 were at fundamentally different stages of identifying and eliminating "jambs"?

Baron Kharkovite:

[you] suspect incorrectly, we are talking about all years.

http://btvt.info/5library/vbtt_1990_05_ove.htm

Well why, you corrected the link to the picture, I saw it and my assumptions were correct with a confident decline [amount of problems with reliablity].

Under article from 90 - why is there only a comparison with 172 objects, where are Kharkov's [vehicle]? I do not understand a lot about it, and again, to equate the flow of failures of a vehicle with a gas turbine engine, with an FCS and a GL-ATGM system, with a machine that has a heart from the theory of the 30s and the simplest sight of the 70s ... well, such a thing

Baron Kharkovite:

Because see "Table 1: Test Failure Rates (Numerator) and 5 Years Failure Rates (Denominator)" in the post above.
   Guided weapon system and FCS - all the "bumps" were "stuffed" on the T-64B,
   GTE - there is an unavoidable problem in it, as with the chassis, as well as with the transmission, which is not particularly friendly with this GTE, and in many other ways.

/.../

ANALYSIS OF CAUSES OF FAILURES DURING CONTROLLED OPERATION OF TANKS IN 1975-1984

http://btvt.info/5library/vot_1986_nadeznost_72_64_80.htm

Only by 1985! T-80 absolutely by accident reached w close to 1.

PVE [army pre-serial production test service] - this is a pre-production 71 engine, the initial susepnsion of the object - is there anything more interesting in 82-83+ years?

Baron Kharkovite:

So what, in 1975-1984 was there only a pre-production engine? Maybe it's time to tie this show, everything has long been published for reliability, myths have been dispelled.

No Andrey, let's return to your article:

During the PVE period since 1975, 96 cases of GTE failures on 233 tanks were recorded

PVE, without this article I know what it was worth bringing the GTE to working condition, where is the number of 5TDF and V46 screwed up during the periods of the beginning of their production? We don't need "shows" about unreliable gas turbine engines here, but Kharkovites should be silent here, otherwise the rows of engines in Leipzig will start to be remembered.

Baron Kharkovite:

During the PVE period since 1975 (to 84), 96 cases of GTE failures were revealed on 233 tanks under control due to burnout of high-pressure compressor turbine blades and destruction of power turbine blades and disks.
   This is a breakdown only for one of the reasons for the specified period of time of the machines during PVE.
   It is absolutely clear to me that you do not understand what you are writing about in the phrase "where is the number of screwed up 5TDF and V46 for the periods of the beginning of their production"? This is nonsense.

For example, it is absolutely clear to me - that during the PVE period X, 100 cases of 5TD engine failure were detected due to Y, then the rest of the objects will not look so cheerful is this clear?

Radus-Zenkovich:

- 35% of the engines in the troops were out of order. There are 31 tanks [immobile] because of the engine. Average engine operation in the tank is 212 hours. At the stand 244 hours

Tests of the tank "432" in the Belarusian MD raised 4 questions:

- the engine runs less than 150 hours;

- high oil consumption;

- small track resource;

- Difficulty starting the engine.

The main defect remained - this is the engine. All attention must be focused on the engine. Defect number 1 - oil consumption. Defect number 2 - engine reliability. It is necessary to speed up the introduction of engines of the fourth series.

The thermal process of the engine has not been worked out and the plant is not working on it. Because of this, the piston group does not work, dust wear was present before. This was shown by the exercises "Dnepr". How dust enters the engine - the plant does not know. Morozov plays the role of Chief Designer poorly.

The engine in the car is chronically not working. It is capricious about dust. Golinets believes that engine is fine, only Morozov does not create normal conditions for it in the tank. Morozov believes that the problem is not his design (system). Although airfiltering is not the main problem. The engine still has 75% of other defects. The main defect of the tank is the engine, the "crux of the matter" is the engine.

- The improovement work was delayed. So far we do not have trouble-free operation. Previously, the tank ran much less. It is urgent to remove several emergency issues and, first of all, air purification. We also need to make a fallback, although single-stage air purification is clearly better. The central issue is the engine

- On machines No. 20, 23 and 26, the engines were out of order due to dust wear. The presence of wear on the blower impeller, wear on the rings and dullness of the piston. The air cleaner is not made correctly. The pressure in the hopper is less than in the clean air chamber. There is no protection of air filter from the AK-150 compressor.

Chernov:

- After the exercise, 36 engines were removed. Disassembled 20: dust wear - 11, piston group - 6, destruction of the piston lining - 1, destruction of the piston - 1, water in oil - 2, destruction of the crankshaft - 1. On the Dnepr exercise march, 23 engines failed. Now 9 are disassembled: piston group - 4, destruction of the lining - 1, destruction of the piston body - 1, water in oil - 3.

Strunge:

- The engine will not run on dust. The purification has now reached 0.999, which is not enough for 5TDF. It is necessary to do the airfiltering two-stage. It is necessary to install two oil flushing rings.

And it's not about the GTE, by the way, but the agony of the birth of 5TD, the comrades from Kharkov should have kept quiet.

Baron Kharkovite:

The problem is that you are reading the article, but you do not understand what is written there.

the comrades from Kharkov should have kept quiet.

Typical behavior of a "tank fanatic", they are given the facts, the results of 10 years of testing and army service, and they have butthurt.
   Someone's fairy world collapsed under the weight of facts.

No Andrey leave these attacks for the youth, how did you destroy my world?

Problems with the engine during the implementation phase? Your heart does not have enough oxygen, you should be silent about it, you should write better about a suspension that has no analogues, or the streams of failure of all objects and for all defects and not selectively, 80 is a better and this is a fact, even according to tests where fire was corrected by 447, failed to get around

Baron Kharkovite:

I am not writing anything, it was written long ago in VBTT and VOT. And all these tales of "seasoned tankers" thanks to statistics are just special cases and personal affections.
   The bottom line is that the parameter of the flow of failures ω reached the norm only in 1985 at the demonstration races. And at the same time, the reliability of the T-80 was lower than the T-72 and T-64 of the corresponding modifications of the time

Andrey, you are for some reason excited and trying to call everyone fanatics, I once again ask an elementary question according to these data:

During the PVE period since 1975 (to 84), 96 cases of GTE failures were revealed on 233 tanks under control due to burnout of high-pressure compressor turbine blades and destruction of power turbine blades and disks.

Well, ok, they broke down (were send to capitel repair), 96 engines over a 9-year period, this figure does not affect at all, the question is how much during the period between the start of production and the 9-year PVE did the V-46 and 5TD engines break down? Taking into account how the 5td was born, I think you have numbers no less? Bring me, there is nothing to write about an unreliable and complex GTE.

Baron Kharkovite:

Broken down only on PVE tanks.
They broke down for only one reason, the author of the article focuses on this.

I say that you do not understand the essence of what you have read, see above.

And let me remind you that the T-80 is the most unreliable of Soviet tanks of the 2nd post-war generation.

Another forum member

I see no point in arguing about the bestness of 64s and 80s, since, it seems to me, they had to merge and give birth to the 80U and 80UD family as the main ones for the USSR Armed Forces before the appearance of new objects.

Well, I see well the probability of almost 6 failures in the most intense years of improvements and searches for new solutions. Yes, why only 73? So that the flow of refusals of Kharkivite with the number 15 per 1000 km does not bother anyone?

I like your diligence in drawing far-reaching conclusions from one tablet from the magazine. I have already said above - without decoding the reasons for the failures, these are just some kind of measuring things in parrots, because the nature of the failures is not clear, this is the product itself, or its components.

However, no less interesting tablets were printed in this magazine, just the same they were drawn up correctly:

The values of the parameters of the flow of failures ω of the chassis (1) and the gas turbine engine (2), obtained from the results of the army test service 1978-1986.

Moreover, Efremov - I hope you know who he is, describes the bursts on the chart quite adequately and truthfully

The nature of the change in the reliability indicators of tank systems, for example, the chassis and the gas turbine engine (Fig. 2) in the course of army trials 1978-1986, confirms that under extreme test conditions weak links are revealed, and this is often not possible in the process of testing the components on the stands ... So, the highest value of the parameter of the flow of failures of the undercarriage [suspension] ω kh.ch  was on tests in 1979 and 1980 when driving on solid frozen ground with a high average speed in the conditions of Transbaikal, and during tests in 1983 under the same conditions, the parameter value stabilized and amounted to 0.43 failures/1000 km, and later (from 1984 to 1986) the value of ω kh.ch decreased to 0.06

Even more characteristic is the regularity of the change in the parameter of the flow of failures of the gas turbine engine ωgtd. As follows from Fig. 2, the value of ωgtd sharply increased in 1981-1982. when tested in Central Asia. It took several years of refinement of both the tank systems and the engine, comprehensive testing by bench and run tests, in order to solve the problem of reliable operation of the gas turbine engine in conditions of increased dustiness and ambient temperature. Tests carried out in the Central Asian Military District in 1986 fully confirmed the correctness of the chosen and worked out directions.

During the army trails 1978-1986. a whole range of measures was worked out to fine-tune the components of the tank, the effectiveness of most of which (up to 90%) was confirmed. As a result, the value of the failure flow parameter for the whole tank decreased from 3.77 in 1980. up to 0.76 in 1986 and since 1983 satisfies the requirement: ω ≤1.0 failures / thous. km.

The analysis of the achieved reliability indicators of the tank based on the results of army trials and experimental military operation (OVE) allows us to distinguish two stages of its development (Fig. 3):

• 1st stage (until 1977) - constructive testing of prototypes, production of a small series;
  • 2nd stage (from 1978 to 1986) - intensive testing in extreme conditions and accumulation of information, modernization of the tank and the development of large-scale production at factories 1 and 2.

The increase in the parameter ω at the beginning of the 2nd stage of development is due to the beginning of intensive tests in extreme conditions, the accumulation of information, the modernization of the tank with the help of measures to refine the power plant and the weapons complex, as well as the beginning from 1980 large-scale production at plant No. 2. At the same time, the large value of ω (3.77) at the 1980 obtained mainly due to a significant number of chassis failures in the conditions of Transbaikal, where ω kh.ch (2.25) failures / thous. km (Fig. 2).

[about T-64]

Total 378 "suitcases" in 5 years

[chart shows number of replaced engines]

Baron Kharkovite:

And the main result - we got a tank that had no advantages over the existing ones except for a slightly higher speed in certain conditions, the engine cost 100 thousand rubles, is unreliable, and has a short cruising range. The same power was achieved by a diesel 6TD, while hundreds of millions were poured into the plant and equipment for the nonexistent VTDT-1000FM, even if they did see the quote below. The result - instead of a new generation tank, we got the T-80 with all its jambs.

However, even prototype vehicles showed:

1) The best travel speeds in a marching / combat;
2) Provided the best rates of advance;
3) Provide less crew fatigue;
4) The fastest preparation for the shot;
5) Better accuracy by tens of percent on the move with the antediluvian TPD-K1;
6) Better accuracy by tens of percent in general on average in various battle conditions (and without 1A33);

Do you have data on 219P? Please post it is very interesting to look, at least thesis

/.../

Well, as it turns out, the ward is not worse than others, the price is well, yes, the price is expensive, or maybe a less tired unit that came three hours earlier, with a day long transition, as an example, turned out to be at the right time in the right place, with less tired crews with a more accurate machine with less cost in preparation for battle and shooting?

/.../

And why tank is here? Engineers worked, who lobbied for the construction of the plant? Surely the Politburo of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine was interested in this, investment money and so on.

About 6TD The story with the 5TD fine-tuning could backfire on this type, which is why they received it coolly in Moscow offices? They got fed up at one time after the divisions' alarm went out to the GSVG.
   Of course, then in a few years it will hiccup about battalions that got up after 180 km "dry" but with intact engines, but this will then be with another object in general.

Baron Kharkovite:

reliability is worse than others, and most importantly, why was a third tank "no worse than others" needed?

Andrey, above is from the same magazine engine excerpt.

Was a third tank needed? I don't know if a third was needed, or even a second with the first?

History went on such a spiral, why now wave swords, the second one is generally a hit for all time, half the world is fighting on them, while beautiful 1 and 3 are beyond the borders of the former USSR did not get out - although all the gateways have been open since the 90s, everything is being bought and sold

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rubenski said:

Tell me, I'm uneducated in the manner.

It's nonsense out of principle. What KE means? There are plenty of KE penetrators with completely different performance. In extreme that can be whatever since WW2 till today. 

1 hour ago, heretic88 said:

Steel beasts armor and penetration values are totally nonsense. Sometimes it turns to utter ridiculous levels, like 270-350mm KE protection for Leopard-1 turret (not bad for those paper thin plates! :D

Still their simulator is being used for training by several armies. Why is that?

It's worth remembering that steel beasts is a game available to the general public. I'm led to understand the professional version of it allows one to plug in values of their own, so presumably militaries which use it on a professional basis have what they consider to be accurate values, the open source version, being based on unclassified data, cannot be taken as an authoritative source.

• 2 weeks later...

vJmfu5F.png

Trying to find very early pictures of T-80U in the "modern" configuration (i.e not the early-early ones without ERA flaps etc). I presume T-80Us of this configuration weren't seen until the very early 1990s. If anyone has pictures from 89 or earlier I'd be more than happy to see them. 

• 2 weeks later...