Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Sturgeon

Who's Who?

OK, those who have been invited so far are myself, Bronezhilet, Meplat, collimatrix, Alex C., mjmoss, alex_nicolin, Ulric, Hognose, D.E. Watters, and Othais. These are the people I've identified as having a unique interest in small arms, if I missed anyone, please let me know.

Please introduce yourselves, and include a bit about yourselves, and your experience in the field.

Cheers!

I'm not listed, but I guess I'll kick it off. Ninja'd.

I'm a mechanical engineering student from the Netherlands. I've been interested in firearms for a looooong time now, even though I'm just 23. It was a dream come true for me when I got accepted to do a research project for the Dutch Ministry of Defence as a graduation project. Even though the project was a resounding success, I did not graduate. If anyone of you guys hears something about NATO accepting a new standard for quality testing plastic explosives: That's me.

During the project I did ask around a lot about various weapon related things. One of my direct colleagues was a leading external ballistics expert. Very interesting, and I ended up with a bit of knowledge about ballistics. 

Even though over here I'm considered to be knowledgeable, compared to most of you guys I don't know all that much. I mean, I've never even fired a firearm. THANKS, FIREARMS LAWS. At the MoD I was allowed to touch, but not shoot. "We shoot to measure, not to shoot" was their unofficial motto. But still, oogling over all current NATO, and various concept weapons was interesting to say the least. (Sadly their G11 got transferred to a different place before I arrived)

So yeah.

Most people here already know who I am. I'm Nathaniel F, a writer for The Firearm Blog and an amateur firearms, uh... hobbyist? I used to have delusions of CHANGING DA WORLD with firearms designs, but I'm more jaded now, and just like reading about and shooting guns. I also have a blog here where I whine incessantly about people who prefer bigger ammunition than I do.

Sup. My name is Alex Capps and I run a hokey ass youtube channel. Basically I have been an employee of The Firearm Blog for 3 years but thought a youtube channel might be a good way to diversify our content a bit, and so far so good!

As far as qualifications, I am not particularly well read on the topic of small arms design but I have quite a lot of experience with firearms ranging from the lowliest single shot .22lr up to the M2HB I used to own. I can provide impressions or most importantly photos, weights, and measures of anything in my gun collection.

I can provide impressions or most importantly photos, weights, and measures of anything in my gun collection.

Do you happen to have a list of what you own?

I'm interested in the width of the FN P90 and the average bolt action at the cheek rest/stock and the average length of the stock. I'm basically trying to find the area of the gun I cannot use for things. Knowing the space an average head would use will be a nice start.

Edit: I also heard you have various interesting licenses... :P

A lot of you know who I am by rumor rather than firsthand.

Anyhow-

My first dealings with firearms was back in the late 70's when I was a wee maniac, and culminated with my making a homerolled snapping matchlock that promptly got taken away from me after the first series of backyard test firings..

From there I've worked off and on as a machinist, various mechanic jobs, numerous gunshop gigs, a stint with Sturm-Ruger as a quality control inspector, I've worked as a demo shooter for a NFA dealer, and worked for a NFA manufacturer making loads of silencers under his ticket, and fixing scads of generally dicked up NFA weapons.

My more interesting "hobby" stemmed from attending a couple of decades worth of MG/DD/Arty shoots, first as a shooter, then later working to being one of two staff photographers and general RKI for one of the largest NFA shoots in the U.S. .

This lead to my opening and operating my own business restoring and working on classic and antique vehicles, specializing in WW2 era and M series military vehicles, including a smattering of armor after dealing (repeatedly) with the increasing volume of MV's that'd show up there in a generally semi-functional state.

After ~7 years of that, I moved to Kentucky to help out my family by taking care of some property in Paducah, and am currently working as a heavy equipment mechanic.

Hi everybody, my name is Adam S. I have an associates degree in gunsmithing, and a background in CAD and 3d modeling. I received a crash course in the areas of injection molding when I created and designed the magazine that is produced and sold by Hexmag. Aside from my degree in gunsmithing, my knowledge comes from hands on experience with assembling, repairing, and modifying firearms. Through these adventures I've picked up bits of knowledge ranging from heat treating to design for manufacturing.

Apperently Putin FSB managed to hack SH and add me here as well.  :P

Sturgeon must of slipped his computer into a time machine and brought THE NUMBER 1 broad soviet 70s stereotype on SH to the armory

Probably to keep this sub-sub-forum from getting TOO productive 

Shit, I'm like the least qualified person running around here.

It's nice to have someone with more advanced technical knowledge in such areas fluid dynamics and materials, though. That is where things really get interesting.

Shit, I'm like the least qualified person running around here.

Sitting in a hammock with an ak-74 getting drunk on czech beer for the better part of the 80s doesn't make me that qualified

I am known by many names, such as Meplat the IV, Mech, Khand-E, Old Scratch, '81, Tupac and "A Man of Wealth and Taste." I may sometimes even go by G.K, or rarely G.K. James (the latter name I don't want to talk about, but It's my Mom's maiden name and that's the last you're hearing about it.)

I have many interests in the field, including being a general sperg about firearms and military technology/history in general and thinking of my own (probably impractical) designs, explaining to people why the worst firearm is their favorite one (do this to people at firing ranges for maximum amusement), dismantling retarded arguments in TFB comments and elsewhere, and generally min maxing the fuck out of my collection of firearms in real life customization/aftermarket wise while always trying to do the best I can to get modifications that will actually give you a noticeable impact in performance and actual capability without mods that are basically just fluff or excessive.

My infinite curiosity in the latter is sort of how I learned about the construction of firearms at first, when I had to field strip my firearms for the first time to add parts I wanted, I always took note of how the internals worked and interacted with each other, this lead me to read alot more about firearm design and construction, aswell as philosophy concerning new firearm designs and intended or practical uses for said new designs.

That being said, I'm pretty well noted (to the point It's joked about) for fanboying/collecting 1. Chinese and Taiwanese weapons, particularly the former and 2. Pistols and SMGs/PDWs that happen to fire really zippy or high performance projectiles (even pretty obscure ones, such as 9x25mm Dillon which I'm a rather big fanboy of for use in various ill advised ideas), so long as they aren't incredibly excessive in size for the most part. (SCHV is the future of defensive pistol design.) Though, I certainly have bought and used more then weapons in those criteria in my days.

After PM:ing admins for access I can now introduce myself.

I am a Swedish engineering (mechanical with industrial design) student hopefully soon to be employed as a CAD monkey out in the real world. I do own a few rifles, but I'm not more than a half-decent shot. The most common form of riflery in Sweden is rapid firing bolt action rifles at a moving target. Although Sweden technically had mandatory military service when I was 18, I never did military service. I think I kind of missed out but that's cool. I'm not really into all things military-technical and I'm quite oblivious when it comes to tanks and aircraft. 

I dream of designing a commercially viable rifle and eventually giving it a try on the European civilian market. I do love hunting, and I find it odd that European firearms manufacturers are so bad at learning from the US market when designing hunting rifles. Yes, the laws and culture are different, but it's still weird how there are several gaps in our market. It would give me great joy to be able to fill that gap with a design of my own. Need more engineering skills, business skills and money, but I'm getting there for sure. Needless to say, I'm following the eu gun ban closely.

As a side note, because we seem to have a few ruskies around: I do love Salat olivye (olivje with Swedish transcription) and борщ. I make salat olivye at least once a year, together with something a russian friend of mine calls "Еврейский" (jewish) salat with garlic and anchovy and stuff. I have studied some russian but I got stuck when trying to understand Паде́ж.  Favourite vodka Stolichnaya. My father likes Russkij Standart. So does my girlfriend. They are sissies, and I respect that in a way. If you have ever had both Stoli and Russkij Standart on the same night, you know what I mean. My family has a lot of Russian friends and I really do grieve that things are so messed up between Russia and western Europe, but I won't go further into politics than that.

Hopefully, I will be able to post some sketches and stuff worthy of browsing through. I like that the forum is a bit closed and hidden.

Sign in to follow this