Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Hilarious Military Fiction Appreciation Zone

LostCosmonaut

I have a very close friend who was SF that retired recently. He knew Kyle well and did not many nice things to say about him.  Of course, "quiet professional" seems to not apply to SEALs, 

Mayhaps I can have him drop by here. Probably won't though. 

Yeah, I get suspicious whenever someone's legend grows that fast and that furiously. And, of course, there's the libel suit his estate lost, which suggests that Kyle had a penchant for distorting the truth, too.

Getting guy from that SF community, like my friend, to talk about stuff is like getting blood from a turnip.  Unless they are SEALs, who will talk about anything to anyone. I've tried to have him swing by forums before but he never does. I've known this dude for over 20 years and he still won't tell me much of anything about anything. 

Somebody on another site went and found online tank specs from one of the Draka books:

Armored Fighting Vehicles: Hond III—Draka

Weight: 58 tons, loaded.

Dimensions: length 23ft.. height 8ft 2in.. width 12ft 6m.

Armor: 30mm- 125mm hull. 35mm-150mm turret/ mantlet All surfaces sloped for ballistic protection; fabrication welded and cast.

Armament: 1x120mm cannon. 1x15mm coaxial machine gun. 1x40mm coaxial grenade launcher. 1x15mm bow machine gun. 2x15mm antiaircraft twin-barrel machine gun on turret roof pintle mounting.

Engine: 1200 hp. Kurenwor free-piston turbocompound.

Suspension: Seven road wheels; torsion bar/hydraulic hybrid. Track width 650mm.

Speed, range: 30 mph cross-country. 45 mph road. Range 300 miles on internal fuel; 600 with external drop tanks.

Crew: 5: commander, loader, gunner, driver, and radio operator/bow gunner.

Notes: Specifications drafted by Strategic Planning Board. 1932-3. calling for a vehicle with twice the protection and firepower of the 26-ton. 75mm gun Hond II and at least equal mobility. Design team from War Directorate (Technical Section) and Diskarapur Technological Institute; prototype testing 1936-1937. Armor School. Kolwezara. 1938. Operational deployment 1939 -1941. Basic chassis used for standard Hoplite personnel carrier, recovery vehicles. 155mm, 175mm. and 200mm self-propelled guns. Cobra antiaircraft tank. Aardvark combat-engineer vehicle, numerous special-purpose uses. Assembled by Ferrous Metals Combine and Trevithick Autosteam Combine, at Archona. Diskarapur. Kolwezara and Karaganda. In production 1939 -1953: total output 68.000. not Including variants.

I'm curious about the "free piston turbocompound engine". What is this, and how do the author's sexual fantasies interdimensional nazi space lesbians operate it?

• 1 year later...

I'm going to have to post something about Mack Moloney and his Wingman books, a series about a post nuke war World, where the hero flew an F-16

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-East-Wingman-M-Maloney/dp/0821724533/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=513q4nSOfoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR104%2C160_&refRID=175N7AEQ6WPK7GKGD4Q3

513q4nSOfoL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Even as a kid these were hard to take. 

Great news, SA is doing a readthrough of those books (link might require account); https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804298