Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Sturgeon

Eh, having thought on it more, gotta dock it serious points for complete lack of worldbuilding, extreme minimalistic scale (did all that happen in one solar system?), and derivative plot. Still, acting and characters were mostly good, cinematography was good. No children or space teddy bears is a plus. 7/10, ROTJ was better.

Eh, having thought on it more, gotta dock it serious points for complete lack of worldbuilding, extreme minimalistic scale (did all that happen in one solar system?), and derivative plot. Still, acting and characters were mostly good, cinematography was good. No children or space teddy bears is a plus. 7/10, ROTJ was better.

Soon, you will take the Dark Side and rate it as 6/10 because it is mediocre movie!  :lol:

My brief, spoiler free thoughts on TFA, written to benefit those who haven't seen it yet, so that they can enjoy it more than I did.

The biggest drag on me during the film, besides Mr. Skunk Asspit sitting next to me, was constantly comparing the cinematography with the original films. Now, I think the originals had a better fit of cinematography, setting, and story, but I know that if TFA weren't a "Star Wars" film, I'd have been perfectly fine with the way it was shot.

I'm not a film nerd, and I don't know filmmaker-speak hardly at all, but in my opinion one of the reasons the originals were so magical for me was the manner in which they were shot. The angles are usually fixed, or the camera moves deliberately, with the conspicuous exception of space battle scenes. IMO, the fact that these scenes are shot this way, without director-wank shots, helps sell to the audience the idea that the galaxy far, far away is a real place. I think Abrams was trying to capture this with TFA, but... Old habits die hard. Now, to give Jar Jar Abrams some credit, his flamboyant filming style pays off in one of the major chase scenes.

From a Star Wars canon perspective, TFA is only good news. Those familiar with the EU will appreciate the decisions made regarding incorporating (or not) different elements from the EU into TFA. I particularly liked a patch the writers made to an old paradox about the Dark Side.

I did not find BB-8 to be as convincing a droid as Artoo. One of the things the OT does really well is exploit for laughs the differences in language between the characters (e.g., bleep bloop bleep "watch your language, R2!"), and this helps the Star Wars universe feel both more real and more alien. R2 was central to this, as both a humorous character and an example of the many different languages that exist in the universe. BB-8's bleeps and bloops unfortunately seem to fall mostly on deaf ears, and the only language joke I remember from TFA involves Chewbacca.

In line with this, one thing I think is key to the Star Wars franchise is how well the original three films mesh with the audience's psychology. Other franchises, maybe, can claim to be more technically realistic, but the OT nails perfectly presenting to the audience an enormous, alien world that still follows the character and narrative rules that the audience responds to. Like an opera, or Shakespeare, Star Wars hits the right notes with human psychology, which in my opinion is the keystone of why it's captivated people for so long. Sure, this is less technically accurate to what aliens are likely to be than, say, Orson Scott Card's Ender series, but the point is that it reaches people and shows them a broader world. So how does TFA fit into this? I don't think it transgresses, but it doesn't innovate very much, either, with perhaps the exception of one character.

IMO, '77 is a hard act to follow, though, so I wouldn't get too disappointed by this news. TFA is still leagues better than the soulless, anti-Star Wars abominations that were the prequels. It also promises quite a lot for 8 and 9, so there's the potential for this trilogy to be really great, still.

Cons. The fucking spoiler which everyone who has watched the movie knows what it is, well the spoiler is fucking bullshit. It's almost as bad as Something, Something Darkside type of bullshit. In fact the spoiler of this movie, which I won't mention, is almost so bad as to ruin what was otherwise a pretty darn good movie.

Pros. I genuinely liked the new characters who were introduced. Here's the hot shot Rebellion Resistance pilot guy who acts just like a 1980s action movie stereotype. Here's the black stormtrooper who quits the Empire First Order cause he's tired of being a baddie. Here's the plucky scavenger girl whom we all know to be a Jedi in waiting. They need to get a droid carrying secret plans to the Death Star a map to Luke Skywalker back to the good guys. What are their motivation? It's all been explained. No long back story. No complicated acting.

The Force Awakens throws a lot of stuff at you where you are forced to just assume that this is the case. And even if you don't know the origins of how the characters got to that place, it doesn't really matter. Who is the First Order? Why are they being led by an 80 foot tall Andy Serkis? How did a new bigger Death Star get built? It doesn't matter. You are content to watch each act which consists of the bad guys coming in, efficiently bombing and laying waste to primitive communities while the Stormtroopers poke through the rubble executing survivors.

Speaking of Stormtroopers, the Empire apologists will dig the effort that Abrams and his creative crew took in putting some sort of human narrative to the faceless bad guys.

The Spoiler is pretty much ripped straight from existing EU, IIRC.

The EU sucks gravelly Mynock splooge and whoever came up with the Spoiler should die from a communicable disease after a decade of giving handy-Js in the Canteena bathroom to pay for their Death Sticks habit. 

This is one unsatisfied Star Wars fan who saw the film with five other Star Wars fans who watched the original movies at the theaters. 

Edit: I'm taking this to the new Spoilers section...