Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Naval Warfare News/Technology thread.

Belesarius

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/steel-cut-first-type-26-frigate-vessel-named-hms-glasgow/

The UK has started cutting bits out for the type 26 frigate

20 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

The future looks pretty good compared to their 'ideal' setup from the 80's. With the range of block 3 hornets only the F-14 and A-7's can match or exceed them, so that complement of 90 aircraft suddenly drops to just 3 squadrons of attack A/C (and only one of them are strike A/C)

44 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/steel-cut-first-type-26-frigate-vessel-named-hms-glasgow/

The UK has started cutting bits out for the type 26 frigate

The future looks pretty good compared to their 'ideal' setup from the 80's. With the range of block 3 hornets only the F-14 and A-7's can match or exceed them, so that complement of 90 aircraft suddenly drops to just 3 squadrons of attack A/C (and only one of them are strike A/C)

"7000-8000t"

"Frigate"

confused-face-300x197.png

On 7/19/2017 at 5:37 PM, LostCosmonaut said:

Killing the F-14 program to further the F-18 program was the mistake, and Dick Cheney made that call because the Hornet was cheaper. 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:37 PM, LostCosmonaut said:

Reactivating Viking's is the only halfway sensible thing I have seen from 'range and raw airframe numbers' advocates.

On 7/20/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ramlaen said:

Reactivating Viking's is the only halfway sensible thing I have seen from 'range and raw airframe numbers' advocates.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:37 PM, LostCosmonaut said:

My understanding is that early projections found that the F/A-18 required so much less maintenance than the F-14 (which was hideously complex) and A-6 (which wasn't complex, but was quite old and creaky by that time) that the number of sorties that could be flown would drastically outweigh the entire combat air wing being made up of jack-of-all-trades types.  I'm not sure on how well this worked out in practice, but it's an issue that the FA article doesn't even address.  The author just acts like all the admirals came down with a case of the stupids when there is a well-documented, and at least theoretically sound rationale behind the decision.

The failure to replace the various cargo, AEW, and ASW aircraft is more concerning.  Back in the day, Northrop was working on this snazzy-looking C-2/E-2 replacement:

qUIyPXs.jpg

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2750460.html

On July 25, 2017, the French ECA Group announced in its press release that it supplied the Russian JSC "Sredne-Nevsky Shipyard" (SNSS, St. Petersburg, part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation)  the second set of mine clearing system, including Inspector Mk 2 unmanned boat, equipped with a towed GAC of the side view of the TOWCA and the bowed down GAS ISSS. The carrier vehicle and the Inspector Mk 2 boat are also equipped with Seascan's remote-controlled underwater search engines.

4491573_original.jpg

The second and the third unmanned Boat Inspector Mk 2 manufactured for Russia, built by the French ECA Group (c) ECA Group

inspector_usv_with_seascan_rov_on_board.jpg

usv_with_seascan_on_board_web_0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-military/2017/08/17/water-on-deck-get-out-the-navys-official-report-of-the-fitzgeralds-catastrophe-at-sea/

First report on the Fitzgerald incident in. 12 sailors facing discipline, including the Captain. When you end up hanging off the side of your ship, chances are you done fucked up bad somehow.

And again...

WTF is going on with US Navy watchkeepers lately? Holy hell. 10 missing, flooding below the waterline again, indicating the bow punched a hole in the side. Berthing compartments flooded again... Ugh.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/08/20/navy-destroyer-john-s-mccain-collides-with-merchant-vessel/

I think calling the circumstances 'mysterious' is overblowing things.  Given some of the back channel nattering I've heard about general readiness across the board I think this is going to play out as a training issue. I'm expecting a couple of flag level officers to loose positions at this point.  Someones gonna get reassigned to doing VD reports in Alaska for the winter or something like that.

Edit: Several Naval personnel that I've talked to in regards to this are saying the Straight where the McCain incident occurred is basically like driving on the 401 in rush hour. It's about one of the worst spots to be.  But after the Fitzgerald incident, watch keeping should have been high quality for a while, at least in the same command, and being in a Burke class DDG is kinda like driving a Ferrari on the highway. They are way more nimble and responsive than everything around them. A crash stop distance is probably classified, but given what I've seen a Halifax class do, I'd bet you can crash stop in 3-5 ship lengths. Between that and the HP that those turbines generate, I'd bet avoiding a merchant ship is less stressful than trying to dodge a Russian ASM or torpedo. I'd tend to want to go with the obvious answer on this one before getting overly conspiratorial. TL:DR: Training is probably down due to budget reasons, and I'd bet that's the cause over some conspiracy to have merchant ships take out a significant % of the USN.

Conspiratorial or not (TBH I'd tend to agree with your assessment BTW), surely the short-term loss of two Aegis ships represents a significant reduction in capability, in an area of the world where that capability is currently at a premium.....I think my 'Spidey-Senses' are tingling on general principles TBH.  ;)

34 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/navy-relieve-commander-seventh-fleet-following-string-accidents-031706069--abc-news-topstories.html

Sounds like the Navy needs someone to come in and reset the culture a bit.

Figured at least one senior flag would have to fall on their sword over this.