Sturgeon's House
Belesarius

General Naval Warfare News/Technology thread.

GAO Report on readiness issues in the USN.

https://news.usni.org/2017/09/07/gao-written-testimony-congress-navy-readiness-problems-related-uss-john-s-mccain-uss-fitzgerald-collisions

37% of certifications, including basic seamanship for ships based in Japan have expired. WTF USN?

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

I always assumed that the Shkval worked due to the shape of the nosecone and by gas injection forwards from it.

This approach would use a heated or polymer-coated nosecone which directly interfaces with the water. Which could be technically easier or harder (or give better or worse results), but is certainly different from whatever Shkval is using.

42 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

That is also my understanding of shkval.  Either way; you're reducing hydrodynamic drag via cavitation.

Yup.

It seems like there might be a few ways to do it though - simply coating the torpedo in this shit might be a bit easier then stuffing a gas generator in the nose.

Rods from god get into the km/s range - I think any reasonable material at those speeds would be full on hydrodynamic penetration even in water, and not achieve very much below a couple dozen meters