Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Naval Warfare News/Technology thread.

Belesarius

French FREMM will have two different crew

Following the recent accidents in the US navy where crew fatigue may have played a part, the French navy decided to have two different crew for the new FREMM frigates in order to reduce the strain on sailors (and their family) and to make the job more attractive for youngs.

The difficult part will be to find enough qualified personnel to do that.

The official image of a multifunctional patrol ship of the ice class of the project 23550. Drawing from the poster from the ceremony of laying the head ship "Ivan Papanin" at the Admiralteyskie Shipyards JSC 19.04.2017 (c) Curious / forums.airbase.ru

4112544_900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Russian Navy patrol ship project 22160 "Vasily Bykov" in Novorossiysk before the start of the factory running tests. The 76mm universal artillery installation AK-176MA in stealth version is clearly visible. 03/30/2018 (c) forums.airbase.ru

5340198_original.jpg

Any reason why the VPM's missile deck would be raised rather than perfectly flush with the rest of the hull? It's not like the tubes in the front ballast compartment protrude from the bow. Is it for structural reinforcement? (that's a long wiener we've got there) Or does it hide other cavities to stow SEAL/SF hardware...or is it a potential mount for a Dry Deck Shelter?

15 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

Any reason why the VPM's missile deck would be raised rather than perfectly flush with the rest of the hull? It's not like the tubes in the front ballast compartment protrude from the bow. Is it for structural reinforcement? (that's a long wiener we've got there) Or does it hide other cavities to stow SEAL/SF hardware...or is it a potential mount for a Dry Deck Shelter?

Do Tridents need a longer tube than what is in the bow?

Tridents? Aren't those supposed to be containers (AKA Virginia Payload Tubes or VPTs) containing six Tomahawks each? Like the two units currently being outfitted inside the bows of Flight IIIs and onwards? (thus replacing the twelve VLS tubes inherited from the 688s)

Or have they recently decided to load Tridents on Virginias?

Wonder if you can double stack tomahawks? Per wiki, some dimensions of interest:

Virginia class beam: 10m

Trident D5 length: 13.58m

Tomahawk length: 6.25m

That bulge doesn't look like it's 40% of the height of the hull, so I'd be surprised if a trident fit. Distributed lethality for SSBNs would also probably fall foul of a whole number of treaties, and it'd make the deployment schedule for the SSNs that the US navy has in service quite hectic unless more boat building capacity could be found

The US Navy has created a premanent 'Readiness Command' for Japan based ships.

https://news.usni.org/2018/04/18/33002

The Navy’s Japan-based ships are the pointed end of the spear and keeping them sharp falls to the recently created Naval Surface Group Western Pacific, CNSG WP that was just made a permanent command.

The CNSG WP reports to U.S. Pacific Fleet, and is in charge of managing such ship activities as maintenance, readiness assessments, and ensuring ships have proper certifications.

“Rebuilding readiness is my top priority,” Vice. Adm. Rich Brown, the commander of Naval Surface Force U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a release. “CNSG WP is one critical step in the process.”

This is one of the steps the USN is taking after glaring problems with readiness and certifications of crew came to light after two major fatal accidents that have cost several senior officers their careers.

USN talking about upgrading the firepower of the follow on LPD Flight II ships, possibly with a VLS, possilbly witha bolt on system that is compatible with Mk41 VLS cannisters.

This kinda looks interesting to me.

https://news.usni.org/2018/04/20/navy-leadership-looking-at-lpd-flight-ii-missiles-additional-virginia-class-buys

Here's a pic of a 4 cell  'adaptive deck launcher' that is compatible with VLS cells.

20180411_091448.jpg

An LPD contributing to a naval engagement seems wrong, but I guess in an ASM fight you only need anti-ship and anti-missile launchers (& datalinks to get firing solutions). It will increase crew numbers, which might sap capability for the primary task (i.e. deliver marines to the beach)

13 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

An LPD contributing to a naval engagement seems wrong, but I guess in an ASM fight you only need anti-ship and anti-missile launchers (& datalinks to get firing solutions). It will increase crew numbers, which might sap capability for the primary task (i.e. deliver marines to the beach)

But it does fall into the who 'distributed lethality' idea.  Heck, they are talking about using ATACMS/MRLS off the deck of gators now, and have done test firings.  Kinda surprised they aren't looking at just putting the missile battery part on a ship. And I'm not sure how much of that is for ASM work. More likely they want more MK 41 cells for ship to ground attack. USN is going to get low on platforms compared to tasking.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good documentary:

The sound disappears at times, but it's probably improved by this. The video is the interesting bit - lots of views of the interior of an Akula (NATO: Typhoon), including the enclosed steering position in the sail. It's also an interesting look into the post-soviet-collapse Russian Navy. I was unaware that russia had an SSBN sponsored by a business, Coca-cola columbia class when?