Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General Naval Warfare News/Technology thread.

Belesarius

Canada getting a 6th Arctic Patrol ship.

https://www.janes.com/article/84257/canada-buys-sixth-arctic-patrol-ship

This is more about keeping the shipyard active for 18 months rather than building navy capability. This will keep Irving busy until the Type 26 production starts, and keeps the skilled workforce busy and together.

37 minutes ago, Krieger22 said:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/11/06/officials-ronald-reagan-lsd-probe-bigger-than-you-think-14-nuke-sailors-snagged/

14 sailors from the reactor department of the USS Ronald Reagan face disciplinary charges over an LSD ring on board.

Yes, an LSD ring on board a ship named after Reagan.

LSD

Reactor Department.

Uh... problem?

8 minutes ago, Krieger22 said:

If it's any consolation, the charges relate to sale and distribution, and not use while on duty. Never get high on your own supply.

Unfortunately, most dealers I know/have met use whatever they sell.  Mind you, I've only ever really dealt with weed dealers and been around when 'shrooms and E were purchased.

https://www.janes.com/article/84297/us-navy-considering-re-introduction-of-sub-harpoon

US Navy considering re-introduction of Sub-Harpoon

The US Navy (USN) is looking at the re-introduction of the submarine-launched Boeing UGM-84D Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missile after a successful live fire demonstration at the ‘Rim of the Pacific’ (‘RIMPAC’) 2018 exercise.

Harpoon is really getting old, it's looking like a missile version of the B-52

This is from a new-ish FB group I found, so not sure of how accurate it is, but photos are convincing. Looking for more information.

Edit: https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/yv2kBa/Tankskip-og-fregatt-kolliderte-ved-Oygarden--syv-lettere-skadet?fbclid=IwAR1cp-ug6OS9EZZZvppWApP34YRQwbqL6htw5eMFSxAV3Ahzw45GXAR7F2Q

Google Translate of above photo caption: The tanker "Sola" TS and the frigate "Helge Ingstad" collided the night to Thursday at the Stureterminal Hall in Øygarden municipality in Hordaland. The frigate takes in a lot of water and there is a risk that it may sink.

"Norweigan Nansen-class frigate HNoMS Helge Ingstad collided with the tanker Sola this morning and subsequently ran aground in order to prevent her from sinking."

45636898_2200091000202390_12571546872289

45639776_2200091083535715_86946661282674

45583053_2200091033535720_16103253983929

So, what I learned in 2018 is that everyone's navy is incompetent.

Norway and US keep crashing into things.  China's new carrier doesn't work.  Russia's old carrier doesn't work, and the one drydock that can repair it is at the bottom of the ocean.  The UK Navy site that stores Trident warheads can't keep electricians safe.

4 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

So, what I learned in 2018 is that everyone's navy is incompetent.

Norway and US keep crashing into things.  China's new carrier doesn't work.  Russia's old carrier doesn't work, and the one drydock that can repair it is at the bottom of the ocean.  The UK Navy site that stores Trident warheads can't keep electricians safe.

This is honestly incompetent beyond belief. The warship had several warnings well in advance and said that "it was under control". 

This is a disaster for sjøforsvaret. Russia's northern fleet might as well be scuttled and then invest in some old cargo ships with reinforced bows. 

37 minutes ago, Krieger22 said:

HNoMS Helge Ingstad is now mostly underwater.

Where did the tugs go?

"UPDATE - Norwegian Defence Forces now confirm that several of the securing wires, which held the vessel in place, have been torn, and HNoMS Helge Ingstad has now effectively sunk"