Sturgeon's House
LostCosmonaut

Egregious Aviation Safety Violations

The Tail of Daniel the Duck and Why People Who Bring Emotional Support Animals Onto Planes Are Terrible.

planes-pets-1a325d42-ff94-11e7-bb03-7227

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2018/01/23/fur-and-fury-at-40000-feet-as-more-people-bring-animals-on-planes/

When Marlin Jackson arrived at his row on a Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego in June, the middle seat was already occupied by a man with a sizable dog on his lap. Jackson squeezed by them to his window seat, and the Labrador mix lunged at his face. The attack lasted about 30 seconds, according to Jackson's attorney, and left him with facial wounds that required 28 stitches and scars that are still visible today.

On 25/01/2018 at 9:42 AM, Donward said:

The Tail of Daniel the Duck and Why People Who Bring Emotional Support Animals Onto Planes Are Terrible.

planes-pets-1a325d42-ff94-11e7-bb03-7227

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2018/01/23/fur-and-fury-at-40000-feet-as-more-people-bring-animals-on-planes/

When Marlin Jackson arrived at his row on a Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego in June, the middle seat was already occupied by a man with a sizable dog on his lap. Jackson squeezed by them to his window seat, and the Labrador mix lunged at his face. The attack lasted about 30 seconds, according to Jackson's attorney, and left him with facial wounds that required 28 stitches and scars that are still visible today.

I've seen some interesting videos on YouTube from people who have working dogs, complaining about others who constantly try to pet, offer treats to and generally interfere with their dogs (and respond in an uppity manner when asked to stop doing what it says not to do on the dog's jacket), or who put a jacket on their own untrained pets (because you can allegedly buy such jackets at stores like Walmart if you feel like being treated with undue deference) and causing trouble like this. Below is a particularly unhappy incident that left me feeling a little gobsmacked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY0IGYPz0nw

Can't watch that, it will no doubt put me in a shitty mood for the rest of the day.....I've commented in the past that I'd like to get 'Leave Me The **** Alone!' jackets printed for my own dogs.

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier:

Gutsy lady:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/investigators-in-fatal-southwest-flight-want-to-know-why-engine-fan-fractured/2018/04/18/e1d72ddc-430a-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c13da02fcc1b

Bit surprised something along the lines of an armour belt doesn't protect the fuselage of these aircraft in the vicinity of the fans.....This seems a fairly common (by aviation standards) failure.

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Bit surprised something along the lines of an armour belt doesn't protect the fuselage of these aircraft in the vicinity of the fans.....This seems a fairly common (by aviation standards) failure.

There's supposed to be, the armour failing is a bigger story than the blade failure IMO

To elaborate, the engine nacelles are supposed to be rated to contain errant fan blades.

They are not, however, rated to contain larger, heavier debris, such as large portions of turbines.

800px-UAL_232_Fan.png

Like that chunk on the right. Designing the nacelles to contain them would make them obscenely heavy.

(On another website I once saw somebody argue that the DC-10 should never have been given an airworthiness certificate because the nacelles didn't contain the broken turbine on United 232 (that's it above).)

Blisc looks OK:

_100936285_046255284.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43818752

There's one blade missing by that guys arm, if the hub lost a chunk then I'd expect it to be fairly obvious. Potentially debris from the first blade loss could have damaged a blisc further back in the engine, but then you'd expect to see more damage to the nacelle

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=217634

ERJ-190 flight controls don't work, plane flails around uncontrollably for a while.

Immediately after take-off, with adverse meteorological conditions, the crew felt that the aircraft was not responding adequately to the commands, developing oscillatory wing movements.
The crew, using all the aircraft control resources for its 3 axis, immediately tried to counter the movements, however without understanding the cause for the flight instability and without being able to engage the autopilot.
Realising that they were without effective control of the aircraft, only being able – with considerable effort – to minimize the oscillatory movements, with high structural loads involved during some recovery manoeuvres and using crossed commands.
The crew immediately declared emergency while trying to diagnose the cause for the abnormal roll of the aircraft, continuing to struggle to gain its control, having no malfunction indication from the aircraft systems, just the continuous alerts for abnormal flight attitudes.
The flight requested to return to Alverca. About 13:37 UTC the flight requested to climb to FL100, again stating they had "flight control problems".
The situation did not improve, and the performed trajectories caused the aircraft and the persons on board to sustain intense G-forces, and causing the aircraft complete loss of control for some moments at multiple instances.
Considering the situation criticality, the crew requested several times for headings in order to be able to reach the sea for ditching, not being able, however, to keep the intended headings.
\

217634_5be84f3fe43deKC1388.jpg

They did manage to land safely, and it looks like they did a decent job resolving the problem.